Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Vortex spitfire 3x... Who has one?

I'm I've had 2 ar's both budget builds that I sold to buddies. I ordered a BCM 16" upper with a 15" kmr rail on it and I'm putting it on a spikes lower with a spikes enhanced lpk in it. Needless to say it's not a budget build. After I feel I can shoot accurately with the irons, I'll put an optic on it.

This will be a rifle that will go out to 200 yards max (just for fun), mostly under 75 yards, but will fill the role of a shtf gun.

Anyway does anyone have any first hand experience with this optic? Are there other optics that will suit my needs better? I'm not in a hurry to pick up an optic... Since I don't NEED it.

I've never used an Eotech, or aimpoint... Are they worth, in some cases, double the money?

Be easy, I'm a complete novice when it comes to red dots

Edit: here's a link from optics planet

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-s...a-reticle.html

(Butler County)

Default Re: Vortex spitfire 3x... Who has one?

For that application, I'd recommend any aimpoint you want. ACO, PRO, T1/H1/T2/H2. The latter are probably overkill.

A red dot is going to have someone with good eyes shooting slightly better than irons, but you will be immensely faster.

Some people will tell you that the Primary Arms and Vortex red dots are okay. I believe in buy once, cry once.

Based on the recent kerfuffle, I'd steer clear of EOtech.

(Chester County)

Complete novice also but I have it and love it! Looked like the best optic for a low price so far results have been good! if you have any specific questions let know. also if you want to check it out i'm not that far away, also also dvor usually has a good deal on them(with credit back) if you're not in a rush.

Mitch

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    For that application, I'd recommend any aimpoint you want. ACO, PRO, T1/H1/T2/H2. The latter are probably overkill.

A red dot is going to have someone with good eyes shooting slightly better than irons, but you will be immensely faster.

Some people will tell you that the Primary Arms and Vortex red dots are okay. I believe in buy once, cry once.

Based on the recent kerfuffle, I'd steer clear of EOtech.
    Is an aimpoint worth 2x the cost? I'm concerned about the zoom, is an aimpoint pro a solid 100-200 yard optic or is it for sub 50 yard range?

I'd love to go check a bunch of optics out, I'll probably have to wait till the next gun show.

Quote Originally Posted by mdd423 View Post
    Complete novice also but I have it and love it! Looked like the best optic for a low price so far results have been good! if you have any specific questions let know. also if you want to check it out i'm not that far away, also also dvor usually has a good deal on them(with credit back) if you're not in a rush.

Mitch
    Thanks for the offer and if I can't find one to handle I'll let you know...
    I'm gonna send a pm your way.

Thanks,
    Ryan

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300zx_tt View Post
    Is an aimpoint worth 2x the cost? I'm concerned about the zoom, is an aimpoint pro a solid 100-200 yard optic or is it for sub 50 yard range?

I'd love to go check a bunch of optics out, I'll probably have to wait till the next gun show.
    Any "true" red dot has no magnification. An Aimpoint PRO gives you a parallax free 2 MOA dot that won't move based on the location of your head. To the extent that you have good eyes, it'll shoot 2MOA or better until your eyes won't or you are pointing it at something far enough away that the dot obscures the entire object. That's a man's head at 450-500 yards.

The fixed 3x is going to give you more "zoom." It's also going to have some degree of parallax to deal with, the illumination will drain the battery faster (you can leave the aimpoint on continuously for about 3 years), it won't be as fast for acquisition.

Your optic choice really does depend on how you plan on using it. I don't have anything more than 4x on the "long end" on my ARs. But I don't use the ARs with the intent of shooting touching groups....

(Chester County)

Fit in finish was great!

Comes with rails mounted on 45° which would be great for a micro red dot but I just pulled them off. I love the reticle and the illumination in red a green. The instructions tell you how to use the reticle for range estimation and bullet drop at variable distances out to 600 yards. This is my one scope for everything, 3x is is the same magnification the most ACOG sights are and using it 2 eyes open @ close range is not a problem. That said I also run BUIS mounted on a 45° that fold flat.

The eye relief on the sight is very forgiving and allows the sight to be mounted in a number of positions close to the eye or even far out almost on the foregrip.

Full Disclosure this is my first AR and First tactical rifle but the one thing I'm really happy with is the sight. I don't have much experience with other red dots. I've played with and shot a few Eotechs but that's about it. I was never a huge fan of the holographic pattern in them.

Pros,
    Reticle in green, red or black if the battery is dead
    45° degree rails (optional &included)
    Focus ring on rear glass
    Flip up caps
    Adjuster tool on caps for windage and elevation
    Adjuster caps attached with cables
    Large eye relief

Cons,
    takes up a lot of rail and doesn't leave much room for flip up BUIS
    No flash kill included
    Mount height is limited
    Mount need to be set the same each time you remove it to maintain zero

Mitch

Last edited by mdd423; January 8th, 2016 at 11:53 AM.

(Centre County)

Not to muddle the waters, but try a 1-4x scope *with a true 1x.* It should fit your needs quite well.....

I wear glasses and have trouble, at times, with fixed 3x and 5x under 25 yards. YMMV and all that......

My Aimpoint PRO is on my primary rifle and I love it!
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Not to muddle the waters, but try a 1-4x scope *with a true 1x.* It should fit your needs quite well.....

I wear glasses and have trouble, at times, with fixed 3x and 5x under 25 yards. YMMV and all that......

My Aimpoint PRO is on my primary rifle and I love it!

a Any specific 1-4x in mind? I'll have to look around. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have a spitfire. The fact that it is 3x all the time might be a turn off for some people. In hindsight, I would have probably been better off with a 1-4 power variable. I have a VIPER PST 1-4 that is nice on one of my ARs. I dont think it is a true 1x on the lowest setting though.

Bushnell makes an 1-4x AR optic that is supposed to be a true 1x, and it is FFP for those that like that option.

(Chester County)

Hey if there's a range in between Lansdale and Landenberg you can shoot the sight on sometime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast