Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Time for a new progressive. Hornady or Dillon?

I was given a Lee Pro 1000 about a year ago and well it is worth about as much as I paid. That being said I am looking at either the Hornady Lock-N-Load Ammo Plant or a Dillon XL650.

I know a lot of people will straight out tell me I should just get the Dillon but it is going to be roughly $750 more than the Hornady when I get the case and bullet feeder.

I will mainly be loading 9mm, 223 and 300BLK and only have 3 real requirements for my new progressive:
    1. Trouble free priming.
    2. A case feeder.
    3. Easy caliber changes(i.e. not replacing half the machine like the Lee).

If anyone has any suggestions please throw them out there because I am really torn between Dillon's reputation and the features of the Hornady.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Time for a new progressive. Hornady or Dillon?

I'm a Dillon guy. I had the same question and I went with the 650.

(Elk County)

Dillon. Worth the extra bux.

I have three SDBs and two 550s, all bought used, one that Dillon rebuilt gratis, and each is set up for different cartridges or cartridges based on different primer size in the case of the two 550s. I absolutely cannot complain about the products or the company.

Try to find a used 650.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Try to find a used 650.

Noah
    I think I have better chances at the PowerBall this week but I will keep looking.

(Clarion County)

Another 550 here. Each caliber has its own tool heads so it's an easy change. Have had it over 20 years or so. Found their no BS warranty true and have been sent various small parts over the years. Whatever you decide it's probably a long term investment. The extra bucks will mean little 20 years from now, so get exactly what you want.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

It's not a 650, but it's a great price: member selling 550 setup. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=295650

I've got the Hornady LNL AP and love it. Hornady has great customer service, their products are carried in more local gun shops, prices are a bit better, and warranties are comparible to Dillon.

Because I was able to find the LNL at a local shop, I waited till it went on sale and also qualified for the store military discount. Very few shops I go to carry Dillon products and fewer offer a discount. On top of that Hornady has an annual promotion called GET LOADED. Purchase of an LNL AP or Ammo Plant qualifies you for 500 free bullets (up to $177 value). http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...tion_flyer.pdf

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    . . . I am looking at either the Hornady Lock-N-Load Ammo Plant or a Dillon XL650.

I know a lot of people will straight out tell me I should just get the Dillon but it is going to be roughly $750 more than the Hornady when I get the case and bullet feeder.

I will mainly be loading 9mm, 223 and 300BLK and only have 3 real requirements for my new progressive:
    1. Trouble free priming.
    2. A case feeder.
    3. Easy caliber changes(i.e. not replacing half the machine like the Lee).

If anyone has any suggestions please throw them out there because I am really torn between Dillon's reputation and the features of the Hornady.
    Either will work fine, neither will give you trouble-free priming lol. The priming system is the weak spot of every press.

The Hornady deals well with holding unused primers and not dispensing another. The slide needs to be kept clean. The primer punch (under the subplate) must retract *flush* into its housing. Periodic checking is enough to ensure this is maintained.

My advice is simple. If spending more money on the Dillon won't interfere with other things you want to do, go for it. Whatever problems you run into - and you will - you'll feel better knowing you went with what Dillon owners claim is the best. OTOH, if the extra money can be better spent somewhere else, buy the Hornady.

It flat out works. Changeovers are easy and do not require spending lots more money to get there. There's no slop in the toolhead - because it is not removable.

Because these presses rotate and go up and down, the parts must have tolerances. Sometimes those tolerances stack in the wrong direction and adjustments are needed to correct them. Whether Hornady or Dillon, either you or the manufacturer will fix them and give you a press that works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    Either will work fine, neither will give you trouble-free priming lol. The priming system is the weak spot of every press.

The Hornady deals well with holding unused primers and not dispensing another. The slide needs to be kept clean. The primer punch (under the subplate) must retract *flush* into its housing. Periodic checking is enough to ensure this is maintained.

My advice is simple. If spending more money on the Dillon won't interfere with other things you want to do, go for it. Whatever problems you run into - and you will - you'll feel better knowing you went with what Dillon owners claim is the best. OTOH, if the extra money can be better spent somewhere else, buy the Hornady.

It flat out works. Changeovers are easy and do not require spending lots more money to get there. There's no slop in the toolhead - because it is not removable.

Because these presses rotate and go up and down, the parts must have tolerances. Sometimes those tolerances stack in the wrong direction and adjustments are needed to correct them. Whether Hornady or Dillon, either you or the manufacturer will fix them and give you a press that works well.
    Well said.

Having used a lee loadmaster and now in the process of setting up a hornady lock n load ap with case feeder. I would go Dillon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast