Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Transfer of firearm question

Hey guys got a question on how to do this deal legally...

A friend of mine who was originally in PA aquired two firearms from his grandfather, never transferred to him. Then he legally bought two firearms. All the weapons are handguns. Since this purchase he moved, what he thought was going to be temporary to Vermont, but has stayed there and made it his legal residence for over 2 years.

Thing is, he left his firearms behind in his grandmother's safe, his grandmother is getting ill, and he has no plans on returning. He asked that I take the firearms and either keep them or sell them.

How can I do this legally?

Alternatively if it is not possible, how can I ship them to him legally?

Thanks in advance.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Transfer of firearm question

Is he ever going to return to PA, even for a visit? If he does, he can collect the guns from his Grandmother and then you and he could go to a FFL and have them transferred to you. Or, he could get a power of attorney giving you the ability to get the guns and do with them as you wish. The power of attorney can be very specific in this case only allowing him the dispose of the guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Is he ever going to return to PA, even for a visit? If he does, he can collect the guns from his Grandmother and then you and he could go to a FFL and have them transferred to you. Or, he could get a power of attorney giving you the ability to get the guns and do with them as you wish. The power of attorney can be very specific in this case only allowing him the dispose of the guns.
    At one time, I purchased a pistol from a seller who was physically unable to travel to the dealer I wanted to use. I contacted the dealer to make them aware of the situation, and brought the pistol, a letter from the seller stating his intent to sell/tranfer it to me, as well as a copy of the seller's ID and the transfer was completed. As far as I know, this is/was completely legal, though I'd assume many dealers may be wary, and would want to know the details before someone walked in, if they were to consider it at all.

What are your thoughts on a scenario like that? I was licensed, so IMO, my borrowing the firearm until a transfer could be completed was also legal.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Greg,
    I was going to write up something very similar to what you wrote and I think that would work also, as long the FFL didn't have any problems with it. If the Vermonter gave his buddy a letter (notarized probably would be good as it shows someone witnessed his signature), and the buddy contacted me, I'd probably do the transfer (I would also make a copy of the letter to attach to the 4473 and my copy of the SP4-113). I in fact have done that on several occasions where the seller couldn't make it in to sign the PSP form (the buyer had all the sellers info) and I never heard a peep from the PSP Firearms Unit. Now these were local folks and I had done business with them in the past, but I don't see a major problem.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member