Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extended bases on 40 S&W Glock magazines

I need opinions.

I got a Glock 22, and planning on adding a 23 an 27 to the collection in the near future (so I have carry options to go with my Glock 17, 19 and 21 I currently own and the 26 and 30 I'll get this year as well - then I'll have full frame, compact and subcompact in 9x19mm and 40 S&W and both full frame and subcompact in 45 ACP). Has anyone here put the extended bases on 40 S&W Glock magazines?

I know they only add +1 round to the magazine, whereas they add +2 for 9mm. I'm especially interested in them on the 26 and 27, as a sort of extended grip (as well) for my pinky.

So in short...is it worth the $8 or so they usually are on CDNN to add +1 to the magazine?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Extended bases on 40 S&W Glock magazines

Just one round?....a few years ago I added one of those to my standard G21 magazine which boosted it from thirteen rounds to fifteen rounds of .45 power.Those extra two rounds are a bitch to load in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Just one round?....a few years ago I added one of those to my standard G21 magazine which boosted it from thirteen rounds to fifteen rounds of .45 power.Those extra two rounds are a bitch to load in though.
    That probably wasn't a factory extended base. Glock only makes extended bases for 9mm/357 SIG/40 S&W. Its one base that fits magazines for all three calibers (since the magazine dimensions are the same). I had a 30-round G21 magazine when I had my KRISS Vector, and even with an UpLULA it was a bitch to load it to 30 rounds.

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-part...357-45gap.html

I forgot about 45 GAP as well.

(Philadelphia County)

No,it is not by Glock but it works well enough.I think the loading issue is the spring that is not made for the extra tension caused by the two added rounds.

(Montgomery County)

I sold off my 23 and now have a 22 and 27 for my .40 carry guns. I usually carry the 22 OWB and the 27 on my ankle, but sometimes the 27 goes in an IWB holster.

For the 27 I use, depending on situation, either a flat base pad mag, a mag with a Pearce grip +1, a G23 mag with X-Grip or a G22 mag with X-Grip. Pretty much every combo possible except for the factory +1.

The Glock factory +1 wasn't comfortable for me as a finger grip, but it works well on a 22 rounder, pushing capacity to 23 (and that's my reload mag for either gun). I like the flat or +1 when ankle carrying, and the G23 mag when IWB. G22 mag for when it rides in my running fanny pack, and I then forego a reload.

The Pearce grip +1 has been very reliable for me. I've got 3 mags with them on and never had a hiccup. Of course, I've heard internet lore of them failing and dumping all the rounds out the bottom, but I think that's from people doing a bunch of reload drills and letting them drop onto hard surfaces. As always, YMMV, and when I carry with that mag it's always in a backup role. I also put the +1s onto mags that were new, so the spring has pretty much always lived that way. If you put the +1 onto an old mag that's been around the block a few times, the spring may have problems, or may not, but just tossing that out as another data point.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; January 3rd, 2016 at 12:08 AM.

(Berks County)

3rd Gen G23 with +2 on a police trade. Yes actually +1 but it's marked +2. Mag works fine. Grip is improved, but only marginally. Gun hates lights and lasers. The intention was +2 and light and laser for house gun. Nope not going to work. Only you can decide if $8 is wort 1 extra round. I'm not taking it off but I'm not buying more either.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    3rd Gen G23 with +2 on a police trade. Yes actually +1 but it's marked +2. Mag works fine. Grip is improved, but only marginally. Gun hates lights and lasers. The intention was +2 and light and laser for house gun. Nope not going to work. Only you can decide if $8 is wort 1 extra round. I'm not taking it off but I'm not buying more either.
    Weapon lights causing problems cycling is part of why there is now a Gen 4. I've been able to successfully trade up to gen 4s more than once from other members here, might suggest the same for you.

(Lackawanna County)

I have some for my 27s. They work is that extra. Round or two if you can cram it in as some say worth the 8 bucks to you?

(Pike County)

I have used them on short grip guns. Gets my pinky finger up off the floor plate bottom and on the grip where to dose some good at controlling recoil.
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

I am getting +1 on a 9rd magazine and +2 on the 22rd mags with the Glock extension. This is with .357sig being loaded in them. I don't have the Glock plus extensions on any 15rd or 13rd mags yet. I have found .357sig easier to load to capacity than .40, which I believe is because the smaller diameter bullets on the sig allows the rounds to nest better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast