Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My best friend

(Luzerne County)

Default My best friend

I am writing this on my notebook sitting in a hotel room in Ithaca, NY at Cornell Animal Hospital.

Tuesday morning I woke up as normal, showered and then I her her yell into me in a panicked voice :something is wrong with our dog"

I jump out of the shower and find he is walking in circles with a tipped head so I suspect a TIA. We rush him to out vet only for him to get so much worse durring the transport. He quickly ran bloodwork and said he feels something neurological is the root and the only means for help is to rush him to Cornell.
    To make the situation worse was his phosphorous was dropping dangerously low and he may not make the trip.

Well we made it with him still alive and the staff at Cornell was expecting us and has a stretcher waiting and greeted us a the curb.

He has undergone many tests including an MRI of the head late lastnight, I don't have full results but prior to the MRI it was narrowed down to a stroke or tumor.

I know neither are great but tumor would be far worse.

Needless to say things have not been the best this week, worry, no sleep, the entire family up in arms all for our family friend who otherwise has superior health and this is according to my vet and Cornell staff.
    It is great to have a facility such as Cornell but financially you can really suffer especially when it comes to something neurological.

Please everyone pray for our best friend and my family as I have to tell you all this is one of the worse heart wrenching feeling in the world.

All we want is to bring our best friend home but I know even if things are the lesser of the two evils being stroke we have a lot of work on our hands to help him back and to help regain his motor skills back as best as possible.

Ted
    Last edited by CCinPA; August 7th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: My best friend

good luck.

A dog is more than just a friend. They become a brother, a sister, a confidant. They expect nothing but return what you give many times over. The can make a bad day bearable with nothing more than a look and a snuggle.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    good luck.

A dog is more than just a friend. They become a brother, a sister, a confidant. They expect nothing but return what you give many times over. The can make a bad day bearable with nothing more than a look and a snuggle.
    Norman you are exactly right about that. My whole world has changed as I know is has also and my heart breaks just knowing what he has been through and not knowing the future. He is such a great, great dog, it is terrible he as to go through anything of this sort but he is a fighter and I can see it in him he wants to fight this and come home.

It is now my turn to look at him and make his bad time as best I can.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

(Centre County)

Best wishes for you and your dog. I hope he pulls through.

(Lebanon County)

Sorry to read this. We lost a dog 2 1/2 years ago suddenly and very unexpectedly. It is not an easy thing that is for sure. I dread the day my boy's health starts to fail because we have a bond I can't begin to describe.

(Northumberland County)

"Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I agree, Norman. A dog is part of the family.
    I used to work for Knoebel's amusement park - one of the very last amusement parks that allow you to bring your dog to the park. I had opportunity to speak to Mr. Knoebel about it years ago. "Why do you allow dogs into the park when no other amusement park does?" (mind you, I am a dog person and love dogs, I am just curious) He responded - " know you have dogs... do you consider dogs part of your family?"
    Sure I do.
    "And I consider this a family park - we wouldnt discriminate against any other family member, why dogs?"

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you and your family.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Delaware County)

Very sorry to hear this, yes they are man's best friend and a family member.
    Please keep us updated and God bless.

(Centre County)

Those guys at Cornell are top-notch. A local friend had his dog there with tumors everywhere. The situation looked really bad, but things all worked out OK. Took a few months though and some repeat visits.
    I hope for the same successful outcome for you and your pup.

(Berks County)

I am very sorry to hear about this, I know exactly the type of thing that you are going through, we lost an Airedale 2 1/2 years ago and it was horrendous. You have my prayers that everything works out for the best.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

You and your family are in my thoughts.

I couldn't even imagine what you are going through. Much like I couldn't imagine life without my pooch.

You've taken your pupper to the right place. Cornell is top notch.

Rocky says woof, woof, argh, to his canine comrade. Thats get well in dog language.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast