Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: No, Tom Wolf Can’t Govern Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Truth. Any time a Republican does the slightest compromisy thing, lots of folks take their ball, vote third party, and bitch about how we keep moving further left.
    Sounds like a "two party" system is problematic, eh?

(Chester County)

I think governing is like concealed carry, you don't have to compromise but, to do it successfully, it's always a compromise.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Also a problem.

If we're going to have "public schools" at all, I think the model should work this way:

• Facilities are owned by private companies, responsible for their upkeep and maintenance - and taxed, just like any other property owner
    • Companies building such facilities are entitled to issue tax-free bonds, to reduce costs
    • These companies are responsible for staffing all non-academic, non-school administration positions (janitoral, secretarial, lunch room, etc.)
    • Contracts with the companies are on a cost-plus basis, with a SALARY CAP, based on the number of students attending the school
    • Contracts are for a reasonable period of time (say, 10 years)
    • Districts are required to schedule FULL USE of these facilities, 12 months per year, minus modest breaks. No more capital facilities sitting virtually unused all summer. They can either go to a year-round system, or put students on a rotating schedule (so that at no time is the facility not being used).

Companies can compete for business based on the facilities they provide vs what districts will pay for, are guaranteed a reasonable return on investment (a utility model) and non-teaching costs are controlled. No more taxpayer-funded govt bonds for building these palaces or taking land off the taxrolls.
    Have you spent ANY time in schools to make those decisions before you go spouting off? You may want to spend some time talking to a school administrator or teacher before coming to these asinine proposals off the cuff. You would be surprised to know that they are people just like you and care deeply about their classrooms, schools and communities. What line of work are you in? I'll bet I could come up with some GREAT ideas for your company as well.

BTW... What does any of this have to do with gun rights?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrels View Post
    Have you spent ANY time in schools to make those decisions before you go spouting off?
    Yes.

(Chester County)

Have you spent ANY time in schools to make those decisions before you go spouting off? You may want to spend some time talking to a school administrator or teacher before coming to these asinine proposals off the cuff. You would be surprised to know that they are people just like you and care deeply about their classrooms, schools and communities. What line of work are you in? I'll bet I could come up with some GREAT ideas for your company as well.

Well, since we are the ones that are paying for the malfeasance that is called an education system any ideas that come from the citizens has got to be better than what is being done by the people that are currently running this shoddy excuse for a system that is supposed to educating the next generation of children. More money is being spent keeping the teachers union happy than is being spent actually educating children in the sciences, math and reading. Our world comparison test scores prove that without a shadow of a doubt. The US is currently at the bottom or near the bottom of every list compared to other developed nations when it comes to the important measurements.

http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12

If there is a way to completely cut out unions and political correctness from our education systems it ought to be done. Only good for this country can come of it.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Well, since we are the ones that are paying for the malfeasance that is called an education system any ideas that come from the citizens has got to be better than what is being done by the people that are currently running this shoddy excuse for a system that is supposed to educating the next generation of children. More money is being spent keeping the teachers union happy than is being spent actually educating children in the sciences, math and reading. Our world comparison test scores prove that without a shadow of a doubt. The US is currently at the bottom or near the bottom of every list compared to other developed nations when it comes to the important measurements.

http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12

If there is a way to completely cut out unions and political correctness from our education systems it ought to be done. Only good for this country can come of it.
    And my response to this is the same as we would, for instance, tell any silly anti-gunner out there who bemoans how it is that the US has more gun deaths than any civilized country. Which is to say that every country has a different culture and different (legal) traditions. It IS different here than elsewhere, and there are structures in place that other countries have accepted for their educational system that parents here don't want. Apples and oranges. By the way, the teaching profession and, yes, even teachers associations are highly respected by parents in these countries. That is something that we used to have here. But so goes society...

As far as education, there is no comparison to the countries at the top of this list when education and teachers as a whole (and on this forum in this thread) are looked down on as they are by many in this thread. Take an Asian or Scandinavian parent, and I'll show you someone who deeply values their child's education enough to support the school environment in their home activities, which are admittedly few when you don't have extra-curricular activities that most school districts (and parents) hold as gospel here. But I wouldn't want to live in any of their countries.

Also, students in many countries are given high stakes tests that we would never want, with the stress and pressure that society here does not favor. Europe has a system in which by the end of middle school you are already pigeonholed into a specific career track.

I don't disagree with you about political correctness. But then again, see above regarding my comment about schools reflecting the society in which we live.

I am also laughing at this PISA list. Really??? On a gun owners forum! Could you say with a straight face that you would want to (try to) be a lawful gun owner in any one of the countries in the upper half of that list? I see nothing but one socialized or authoritarian nation after another on there. Okay then there's Switzerland...
    Last edited by DoubleBarrels; January 1st, 2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Typo

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like a "two party" system is problematic, eh?
    Yep, it sucks but it's still the current reality. I'd love to see a Libertarian win a meaningful position but I'd also like to find a cache of gold coins in my back yard. Neither one is likely to to happen any time soon.

Also a problem.

If we're going to have "public schools" at all, I think the model should work this way:

• Facilities are owned by private companies, responsible for their upkeep and maintenance - and taxed, just like any other property owner
    • Companies building such facilities are entitled to issue tax-free bonds, to reduce costs
    • These companies are responsible for staffing all non-academic, non-school administration positions (janitoral, secretarial, lunch room, etc.)
    • Contracts with the companies are on a cost-plus basis, with a SALARY CAP, based on the number of students attending the school
    • Contracts are for a reasonable period of time (say, 10 years)
    • Districts are required to schedule FULL USE of these facilities, 12 months per year, minus modest breaks. No more capital facilities sitting virtually unused all summer. They can either go to a year-round system, or put students on a rotating schedule (so that at no time is the facility not being used).

Companies can compete for business based on the facilities they provide vs what districts will pay for, are guaranteed a reasonable return on investment (a utility model) and non-teaching costs are controlled. No more taxpayer-funded govt bonds for building these palaces or taking land off the taxrolls.
    Excellent ideas.

It has to do with gun rights because this anti-gun Democrat Governor who would strip our rights won because he promised to pay off public sector employees and other unions by stealing tax money from everyone else.

Let me ask you, why is so bad to suggest that public schools be run like private businesses? See, in the real world a business has to adapt and constantly show its shareholders that it can be profitable or it goes away. In the private sector we don't have the luxury of continually stealing more money from taxpayers just so that we don't have to change our bloated, inefficient ways. Why shouldn't the public school system be held accountable to the people who are forced to fund it at gun point?

(Montgomery County)

The real thing about our country's standardized testing is that every kid gets to go to high school and mostly will graduate so long as they show up... and they all take the tests.

Many other places, only the best and brightest get to high school to take the test.

Hard to compare the US vs Japan when that's going on. All things considered, we're not that bad in education, IMO.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Truth. Any time a Republican does the slightest compromisy thing, lots of folks take their ball, vote third party, and bitch about how we keep moving further left.
    Absofreakinglootly true. Watch how Pennsyltucky goes Haglary. Where's all these deer hunt in' NRA types?
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    All things considered, we're not that bad in education, IMO.
    I agree with this. A motived kid with concerned and involved parents can do just fine in most of our schools. Of course many things can be better but much of what is being spouted here is more about political views instead of giving a damn about actual education.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast