Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Sporting Shotguns in Philadelphia Area

Hello all, I am looking for a gun shop, ideally in the Philadelphia area, that specializes or has alot of experience in sporting shotguns. I am thinking about buying a nice double barrel, and I hear over and over again how important gun fit is for shotguns. I have never been to a gun shop where the seller seems to know anything about fitting or even mentions it. I really dont want to drop a couple thousand dollars on a gun and find it isnt everything I want it to be.

Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sporting Shotguns in Philadelphia Area

What "sport" are you going to use the shotgun for? Depending on the sport you'll have to choose the correct shotgun. One made for trap won't always work well for skeet, and visa versa. A hunting shotgun is a lot different than a shotgun for skeet or trap.
    Are you a right handed shooter or left? If left handed, your choices are going to be slim.
    It's not uncommon for a gun shop to not be able to assist you in shotgun "fit". Off the shelf shotguns typically will not "fit" anyone. If you buy a shotgun with an adjustable length of pull and adjustable comb you'll be able to get very close on "fit". Shotguns like this start at 2.5K. Look at Browning or Beretta O/U's. You may find some used ones for under 2K.

We have specialty shop here in Western PA that maybe worth a day trip for you: http://www.higradeshooters.com/

This new Beretta may meet your needs, but it's a semi. http://www.higradeshooters.com/item-...1#.VoVoNK1Pq70
    Last edited by Hawk; December 31st, 2015 at 01:40 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

Purdey still does fitting but you have to take a trip to Londonstan to get fitted.

http://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles/
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Jennifer: not so much talking about a customer made gun as I am making sure that the gun I buy off the rack fits me well and will suit my needs. Would love to have a gun made to me, but looking to spend 4 figures, not 5 or 6!

Hawk: I currently do mostly trap shooting, with occasional sporting clays and skeet. I am right handed. I have been doing everything with an old Browning Auto-5 with a polychoke. My best score in trap has been 20. I shoot probably 1000 shells per year combined. I think that the Auto-5 might be holding me back in trap. My thought is to get a dedicated trap gun and possibly continue to use the auto-5 for skeet and sporting.

I should note that I have a serious love for older guns, which is how I ended up with the Auto-5. I would love to pick up something older that will be at a minimal disadvantage vs newer guns. I understand that at the level I'm shooting at, I am probably going to be the weak link, not the gun. I was at Cabelas in Delaware yesterday, and was looking at an older Ithaca 4E single barrel trap gun. It was marked $1600. It had some wear on it, but I couldnt believe how beefy the breach end of the barrel was, it looks indestructible. I dunno if something like that would be a good option for me

(Allegheny County)

I'd be concerned that the Ithaca could be close to being shot out. I'd also be concerned about getting parts for it (like hammer springs).
    If you like the idea of a single barrel trap gun, you should be able to find a used Browning BT99 with an adjustable comb for under $1.2K. New they run $1.4K.
    My first real trap gun was a BT 99 (with adjustable comb) I picked up for $900. They are work horses and will last a lifetime with minimal maintenance. If the length is too long for you, you can always have it shortened by a knowledgeable gunsmith.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BROWN...NS/1774375.uts

http://www.higradeshooters.com/item-...6#.VoV0m61Pq70
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hawk; December 31st, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Just go out and beat the gun shops every weekend till ya find what ya want. Finding high end guns is easy. Finding a salesman who knows what they're talking about is another.

Cabela's gun room has some high end stuff for sure.

I recently sold a custom Krieghoff single barrel trap gun for a friend's widow. Adjustable stock , 4 high-rib barrels 12/20/28/.410 , chokes , tools , fitted case. Originally sold for $11,000 in '82.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

I'd recommend Tanners Sports Center in Jamison, PA I've found their sales guys to be pretty knowledgeable and you can't beat their prices.

(Chester County)

Try Miller's in Delaware.
    http://millersguncenter.com/