Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Selling a handgun to resident in another state - do you have to ship via FFL?

Just curious before I do so - If I sell a handgun online to a resident of another state - do I have to ship it via a local FFL?

Or can I go to my local post office, fedex, or UPS and have them ship it?

What are the laws that pertain to this? (I'm a PA resident, buyer is not).

Just want to make sure I'm following the correct procedure before doing this.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Selling a handgun to resident in another state - do you have to ship via FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaerer320 View Post
    Just curious before I do so - If I sell a handgun online to a resident of another state - do I have to ship it via a local FFL?

Or can I go to my local post office, fedex, or UPS and have them ship it?

What are the laws that pertain to this? (I'm a PA resident, buyer is not).

Just want to make sure I'm following the correct procedure before doing this.
    Only FFLs can ship handguns via USPS.

As to UPS and FedEX there is no law but their individual tariffs do allow private shipments as long as there an FFL is either the shipper or receiver.

Not aware of any Pa laws that would prohibit your shipment to buyer's FFL.
    IANAL

(Berks County)

Default Re: Selling a handgun to resident in another state - do you have to ship via FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

As to UPS and FedEX there is no law but their individual tariffs do allow private shipments as long as there an FFL is either the shipper or receiver.

One detail is that if using UPS, you must go to a 'hub', or actual UPS location. The UPS stores will not ship firearms. Depending upon insurance and destination, it may be just as economical to have a local FFL ship it through the USPS. The shipping is cheaper, but the FFL will likely charge you around $25. Check out both options.

(Delaware County)

From what I recall you can ship a firearm via UPS and Fedex to an out of state FFL

Straight from the ATF website.

"6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where
    he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to
    the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than
    the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
    7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in
    my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across
    State lines?
    Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another
    licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal
    Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped
    to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received
    without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also
    return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C.
    § 922(a)(2)(A). "

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyer5 View Post
    From what I recall you can ship a firearm via UPS and Fedex to an out of state FFL ....
    While this is true, many FFL's only accept firearm shipments from other FFL's, so before you ship it, make sure to contact them to see if it's okay for a non-FFL can ship them a firearm.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

UPS and FedEx require that firearms be shipped overnight. An FFL can use USPS. It's likely that even with the FFL's fee that route will be cheaper.

(Lancaster County)

Make sure that you inform the shipper that the package contains a firearm.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post
    Make sure that you inform the shipper that the package contains a firearm.
    You must inform UPS or FedEx that the package contains a firearm. HOWEVER, DO NOT MARK THE PACKAGE IN ANY WAY THAT ADVERTISES THIS FACT. Even if the UPS/FedEx employee tries to make you do this, DO NOT DO IT - get the supervisor IMMEDIATELY, they will straighten out the counter person. This is clear in their own regs that the package will not be marked as containing a firearm. In fact, don't have the address it is going to be shown to be a FFL unless absolutely necessary. Abbreviate their name if necessary. The package goes to the address marked on the package and the name can be anything. Myself, I give the FFL's name (ie, John Doe) not the company name (ie, John Doe Firearms).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Since there are so many "shipping" questions, popping up, here's the STICKY (I know, nobody looks at them) with TONS of good info regarding all types of shipping.

LINK