Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: 9mm Pocket Pistols

I have a Glock 26 and a Kahr K9 I pocket carry... sometimes.

I have them both in sturdy leather pocket holsters with a "hook" designed into the holster to snag in the pocket and prevent the holster coming out with the gun.

I'm wearing 36 waist pants, they are both a lot of gun even with big pockets. Doable, but does leave a big flat print, that could look like your wallet...

Key is to have big pockets with a proper slash opening to get your hand in easily.

The straight across pocet opening is harder to use a pocket gun in...

Glock 26 and Kahr K9 in use here.

Price limits for a gun to use in a specific way will get in the way of getting the right set up.

Find what works best and save up a little longer. Better than spending 500 and not being satisfied... IMO.

(Montgomery County)

What about the Makarov? Hasn't been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    While I like them I wont begin to make the suggestion to my FIL about one. He wants new not old.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I'm 6 foot and 190. I can't really pocket carry any of the "pocket" 9mms in anything but jeans or cargo pants/shorts without a pinky extension. With one? Not a chance.

Plan on .380 or smaller. I pocket kel-tec P32, largely because I've had it for 15+ years (the LCP and such didn't exist back then).

I don't believe he's going to find something that is comfortable to shoot with large hands and that will realistically fit in a pocket. I'd be thinking snubbie revolver, honestly.

Someone with freakish dimensions or who can wear 5.11s all week will be along to dispute this shortly, but pocket carry involves trade offs.
    The Kahr CM9 works great for me. It's comfortable to shoot; I've shot 100 rounds at a time through the CM9 with no issues, while my hand hurts after 6 rounds with a S&W Bodyguard.

You're right about the pants, though. It doesn't fit well in jeans pockets. That's why I'm a big fan of Vertx tactical pants - they look like chinos, not BDU's, they work well with a pocket pistol and knife, and the thigh pockets are very unobtrusive.

(Chester County)

What about a shoulder holster?

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyPullover View Post
    What about a shoulder holster?
    I asked he said no.

I believe the only other acceptable carry method would be SOB carry. But I doubt he will care for that either if he tries it out.

The problems I foresee for him are the gun being to big and to heavy. Which in turn pull his pants down more so then they are already falling down. Again even with a belt they fall due to his issues with his hips.

I have a db9 its a snappy little bugger and you realy have to shoot with a locked wrist or it will jam, but its a nice light gun that shoots well enough. my dad ended up liking it so he will be getting one for house carry since ("my 45 wont fit in my robe pocket")

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I can't speak for your father, but from my own 'comfort level' perspective, I've always found that carrying a 9mm in pants pockets is uncomfortable for everyday carry, either due to size or weight. (Especially if he's sensitive to things due to his hip surgery.) Unless he's dead set against it, perhaps he could check out some of the .380 options, too?

I would like to make a suggestion as to what NOT to get -- the Kahr MK9. It's basically the same size as the Kahr PM/CM9 but made of all-steel. The pistol is reliable, a nice little shooter considering how small it is, very comfortable as far as recoil goes. But I really started to feel that weight of that steel frame after the 8th or 9th hour that it's in the pocket. It kept 'migrating' to my hip, where it was much more comfortable (and still quite concealable) until I eventually replaced it with something bigger. Your mileage may vary, of course.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    Well the Mak, and most of its Eastern Block counterparts are not small enough to be pocket pistols. Don't you know people now want the latest plastic fantastic, and not tried, and true military pistols for carry? Come on, join this century! For the record my current carry is a surplus Polish P-83 or Bulgarian Makarov IWB appendix carry, and the both disappear.

(Montgomery County)

Nah, never warmed up to plastic guns, especially Glocks. I am not even sure pocket carrying is wise. If I were to carry in my pocket, it should be no bigger than palm-size.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast