Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ar pistol concealed in truck

Hi guys, I have an ar pistol lower that I built and had a question I need clarity on based on a few different answers from searching different threads. If I put an 11.5" barrel on my pistol lower, I believe it would put me over 26" oal. Does this then make it illegal to have loaded with me in my vehicle? Will I need to do a 10.5" barrel to keep it under 26" then making it legal to carry with my in my vehicle? I am a PA resident with a carry permit.
    Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ar pistol concealed in truck

The experts will be along with the details. In the mean time, if the AR qualifies as a "pistol" you can carry it loaded in your car with your LTCF. It can be over 26" and still be considered a pistol. Just don't ever put a stock on it with a barrel less than 16".
    Toujours prêt

Ok thanks, what does the 26" oal thing have to do with then?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The experts will be along with the details. In the mean time, if the AR qualifies as a "pistol" you can carry it loaded in your car with your LTCF. It can be over 26" and still be considered a pistol. Just don't ever put a stock on it with a barrel less than 16".
    What are you basing that on? That's not how I read the statutes.

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
    § 6102. Definitions.Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Blair County)

the don't put a stock thing is federal law if you put a stock on a gun that is less than 26 inches oal with stock or a barrel of less than 16 " barrel on rifle or 18 " on a shot gun it is "class 3 " and have to be registered as such .
    that new arm brace is gray area

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    What are you basing that on? That's not how I read the statutes.
    In the OP's scenario he is installing either a 10.5" or a 11.5" barrel on a pistol lower. It's my understanding that if he doesn't attach a "stock" it makes his AR a "Firearm" (pistol) regardless of the overall length.
    I don't grasp (from the information provided by him) how it is exceeding 26" with a 11.5 barrel, receiver, and (I assume) a pistol buffer tube.

Maybe he's using a Sig Brace? Off hand I don't know what the OAL is for a 11.5 barrel and a Sig Brace. But if it puts t over 26", it doesn't matter it's still a "Firearm" (pistol) and can be carried loaded with a valid LTCF in PA.

Update-
    I did a quick search: The AR lower receiver is 7.5", with a Spikes Pistol Buffer tube 7 3/4" equals 15.25". Add a 10.5 inch barrel and that would equal 25.75" OAL. Add a 11.5" barrel and that would equal 26.75" OAL.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 24th, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    In the OP's scenario he is installing either a 10.5" or a 11.5" barrel on a pistol lower. It's my understanding that if he doesn't attach a "stock" it makes his AR a "Firearm" (pistol) regardless of the overall length.
    I don't grasp (from the information provided by him) how it is exceeding 26" with a 11.5 barrel, receiver, and (I assume) a pistol buffer tube.

Maybe he's using a Sig Brace? Off hand I don't know what the OAL is for a 11.5 barrel and a Sig Brace. But if it puts t over 26", it doesn't matter it's still a "Firearm" (pistol) and can be carried loaded with a valid LTCF in PA.

Update-
    I did a quick search: The AR lower receiver is 7.5", with a Spikes Pistol Buffer tube 7 3/4" equals 15.25". Add a 10.5 inch barrel and that would equal 25.75" OAL. Add a 11.5" barrel and that would equal 26.75" OAL.
    I think I see what you're saying now. I guess. This stuff makes my head hurt.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
    Hi guys, I have an ar pistol lower that I built and had a question I need clarity on based on a few different answers from searching different threads. If I put an 11.5" barrel on my pistol lower, I believe it would put me over 26" oal. Does this then make it illegal to have loaded with me in my vehicle? Will I need to do a 10.5" barrel to keep it under 26" then making it legal to carry with my in my vehicle? I am a PA resident with a carry permit.
    Thanks
    From the research that I have done (correct me if I am wrong) you can have the following configurations in our state:

Any size upper (7.5, 8.5, 10.5, 11.5, 14.5 inch uppers) on a pistol lower is legal and is covered under the LTCF.
    Any size upper under 16 inches on a lower with a rifle stock is considered a SBR and needs a $200 tax stamp, registered and can be carried loaded in the vehicle.

Just make sure that your uppers under 16 inches never meet the rifle lower because then you dig into breaking federal law.

(Berks County)

Hello there upper!
    Hello there lower!
    Just reminded me of the honey mooners.
    Address the ball
    Hello there ball

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    This stuff makes my head hurt.
    Its ridiculous is what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast