Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default SCCY firearms question

Any here own a handgun from this company ? I saw an touting their lifetime warranty that includes replacement if your gun is lost or stolen, that & the low price caught my attention & got my curiosity going.
    They're fairly expensive, they are made in the USA ,start at an MSRP of $314 & I've seen them on Gallery of Guns starting around $255 but before I think about purchasing an unknown I'd like to hear from current or previous owners.
    Jesus is Lord !

Default Re: SCCY firearms question

They have been around for quite some time the 1st generation had some issues they went back to the drawing board resolved those issues and released the CPX2 series.

They are solid and reliable the draw backs are a smooth but heavy DA trigger and they are a bit snappy in the recoil dpt.

There are good reviews online about the 2nd generation from Iraq Veteren8888 and Mr GunsNgear. I have seen them at local gun shows for $235-250.00 out the door. For a back up or car gun it's a great deal.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 19th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.

(Bucks County)

That's what I was thinking, at least a good back up, better than my Kel Tec P32 anyway, no comments please, haha, I know 32 caliber doesn't have much stopping power but I didn't buy it, it was given to me so I didn't pay a cent for it, in addition it has a horrible trigger, it's older so I don't know if they improved on it or not.
    If it's good enough, which I don't know, it could be a primary carry, one that you wouldn't miss too much if you had to use it & the police take for the investigation.
    Thanks for the info
    Jesus is Lord !

To be honest if I was on a tight budget and needed a primary carry at under $300.00 it would be between the Taurus PT111 and the Sccy and I think the Sccy would win out for overall consistently and reliability. I do know a few guys on other sites that have reported good things with their 2nd gen CPX pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    That's what I was thinking, at least a good back up, better than my Kel Tec P32 anyway, no comments please, haha, I know 32 caliber doesn't have much stopping power but I didn't buy it, it was given to me so I didn't pay a cent for it, in addition it has a horrible trigger, it's older so I don't know if they improved on it or not.
    If it's good enough, which I don't know, it could be a primary carry, one that you wouldn't miss too much if you had to use it & the police take for the investigation.
    Thanks for the info
    The KT32 is a good gun for what it is. I know the owner of SCCY in a round about way, if you contact him/the company you can buy directly from them when I was looking into one while I was in Florida it was $219 from SCCY.

(Clearfield County)

sccy's are shit.

I bought one when they were still skyy, the rear sight broke off and it had constant failures to extract. Sent it in for warranty repair and they gave me back one of the new models. The brand new gun they gave me has "get you killed" trigger reset problems.

Get a hi point, at least they work.

(Cumberland County)

I have one of the original guns, good gun imo! The only thing I didn't like was the safety, easy to bump on by mistake. But, I sent it to them and they put a safety bypass on it. Then, after a year or so I sent it back just for the heck of it seeing it was an original version to see what they would do - they gave it a new trigger job, new magazine release, replaced the slide saying they thought it was "off" a bit, and had it door to door in one week ! A little chunky, but I've heard very few negatives on it - except raxar's junk piece
    You can even get a storm trooper edition if you're into star wars - lol.

Ive had 2 an original one that the frame cracked on after running 500+ not quite +p rounds, they replaced it with a new gun. purchased a known to be broken original and returned it got another brand new one, I recomend the non saftey model. on the originals the safety would reset while shooting, on the gen2 they added a guard rail to prevent accidental reset of the safety. I had no problems with either gen 2 I just traded them off for other stuff. Dont shoot +p or "hot loads" and you should be ok.

(Bucks County)

Good info, thanks everyone
    Jesus is Lord !

(Wayne County)

I rented and put 100 rounds through a SCCY CPX-1 at 3B's Shooting Range in Honesdale a couple of weeks ago. The grip was a little chunky, and the trigger pull was long but not too heavy. I experienced quite a few failures to feed; sometimes I'd get through a full magazine without a jam, and sometimes I'd have anywhere from 1 to 3 jams per magazine. The range officer seemed to think the feed ramp needed polishing, and the staff believed that the gun had been sent back to SCCY at least once for repair.

That's just been my experience with one SCCY pistol--one that was known to have problems. I've read a few good things about them, and I've heard they'll even send you a replacement pistol if you're involved in a self defense shooting and the authorities confiscate your original SCCY as evidence. I'd be willing to try a few more out before I decide whether or not I'd buy one. The price point alone is compelling, but the reliability--or lack therof--of the particular CPX-1 I tried was discouraging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast