Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm AR15 - Best Way to Build One?

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Have you considered one of these for your 9mm AR Build:

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/c...ck-style-mags/

Seeing as I already have a standard AR lower, I wondered if it was realistic to use that instead of a dedicated 9mm lower like that one.

I guess once I get a better handle on the whole 9mm thing I can make a more informed decision as to what direction to go.
    It sounds simple to just use what I have, but if the 9mm lower is "better" I wouldn't be opposed to rethinking this. I mean I do have Glock mags already and wouldn't have to buy a new stash of mags like I will if I just used a blocked 5.56 lower.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    A CZ Scorpion SBR it is then!

You came to the correct answer on your own! Congrats!

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

I looked at the options about a year ago, didn't like the AR-15 options for a 9mm, and ended up getting a MechTech CCU. No regrets.

Here's the website with links to Hickok45 and TTAG extensive reviews. http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php

I used a spare G19 lower which I've since dedicated to the CCU.

Several months and around a thousand rounds through it and no failures. It does work best with full-power loads, however. The simple blowback design just works.

The 16.25" barrel adds a couple hundred fps over a 5" barrel. Handloads with a slower powder like Power Pistol give me over 1500 fps 10 feet from the muzzle.

Accuracy is just fine: 1 1/2" at 50 yards with most ammo. A limitation to accuracy is the standard Glock trigger which I have left stock.

At $399.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I looked at the options about a year ago, didn't like the AR-15 options for a 9mm, and ended up getting a MechTech CCU. No regrets.

Here's the website with links to Hickok45 and TTAG extensive reviews. http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php

I used a spare G19 lower which I've since dedicated to the CCU.

Several months and around a thousand rounds through it and no failures. It does work best with full-power loads, however. The simple blowback design just works.

The 16.25" barrel adds a couple hundred fps over a 5" barrel. Handloads with a slower powder like Power Pistol give me over 1500 fps 10 feet from the muzzle.

Accuracy is just fine: 1 1/2" at 50 yards with most ammo. A limitation to accuracy is the standard Glock trigger which I have left stock.

At $399.

Do you have an AR15 too?

How do they compare in terms of weight/balance? (I see mention of them being front heavy)
    I ask because it would be nice to have something my wife can not only shoot, but shoot comfortably.
    She CAN shoot my AR15, but as with most long guns, it is not easy for her since she has back issues, and aside from shooting one mag every once in a while, she is unlikely to shoot the AR15 very often as a result of the discomfort of shouldering a long gun.

I mean the MechTech LOOKS like it would be considerably lighter and it is clearly more streamlined (which I really like), but not having handled one, it's hard to say.

I wouldn't be opposed to one of these. I'd probably end up getting another Glock for it just because I hate having to piece something together just to shoot it.
    (I have a 22LR upper that I got tired of swapping on/off my 5.56 lower, so I'm building another lower for it instead, so I have two complete carbines)

Still seeking info on a 9mm AR15, but this is something to consider when factoring in ease of use for my wife.

(Bucks County)

Do you have an AR15 too?

How do they compare in terms of weight/balance? (I see mention of them being front heavy)
    I ask because it would be nice to have something my wife can not only shoot, but shoot comfortably.
    She CAN shoot my AR15, but as with most long guns, it is not easy for her since she has back issues, and aside from shooting one mag every once in a while, she is unlikely to shoot the AR15 very often as a result of the discomfort of shouldering a long gun.

I mean the MechTech LOOKS like it would be considerably lighter and it is clearly more streamlined (which I really like), but not having handled one, it's hard to say.

I wouldn't be opposed to one of these. I'd probably end up getting another Glock for it just because I hate having to piece something together just to shoot it.
    (I have a 22LR upper that I got tired of swapping on/off my 5.56 lower, so I'm building another lower for it instead, so I have two complete carbines)

Still seeking info on a 9mm AR15, but this is something to consider when factoring in ease of use for my wife.
    I have a RRA AR-15 (which I love, by the way- heading to the range in about an hour to shoot some more handloads). I haven't weighed them, but the MechTech feels a little heavier. However, I have the quad rail which adds a little weight (if I had it to do over, I'd go for the mini-quad). It certainly is more barrel heavy, but that turns out to add stability for offhand shooting. The basic unit is 5.3 lbs. Glock lower is a few ounces?

If I were to get one for my wife, I'd go bare bones with the telestock and the standard rail which is all that is needed to attach a red dot sight.

Taking the Glock lower on/off takes me about 10 seconds. But, I'd get a dedicated lower if i didn't already have a spare.

(Bucks County)

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.sigevolution.com/sigmpx

Local (to me) shop has the pistol version (Sig brace) in stock for $1300.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    I'll just leave this here:

http://www.sigevolution.com/sigmpx

Local (to me) shop has the pistol version (Sig brace) in stock for $1300.

Yeah, I'm more of a $500 gun guy, so I don't really see myself ever buying one of them or the CZ Scorpion for that matter, and doing the SBR thing would be nice, but I dunno...

Cost is another thing that concerns me about doing a 9mm AR15. I guess I'll see where this all goes as I learn more along the way!

(Wyoming County)

A CZ Scorpion SBR it is then!

No really, I have a lower I have no idea what to do with and since I have exactly zero interest in a long-assed rifle with a scope, and having three 5.56 carbines makes no sense since I only have two arms, I figured a 9mm would work and they would all have the same overall feel to them.
    My silly ass vote goes to 300BLK.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lycoming County)

I'm in the same boat EM. I want to do a 9mm sbr and I keep going back and forth between getting a dedicated lower or doing the mag block on one of the stripped lowers I already have. I'm still undecided too. I was looking at the CMMG lowers at Harrisburg (they take the colt mags) and for the price I don't know which is a better option. It would only come out marginally cheaper to build I think. If I find any good deals on stuff I'll let ya know.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    My silly ass vote goes to 300BLK.
    Nope. No new calibers will be added to the mix.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast