Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: For the 1911 Experts: bad gun, or bad mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If you have 2 magazines that work correctly, and 2 that don't (especially if the same mfg. as the ones that work ok) I think you've answered your own question. Mark the ones that don't work correctly, then with all of them both empty and with rounds in them, set them side by side and look at them very closely, especially at the lips. See if you see anything different at all. I think you might just find that the ones that don't always work correctly may have something very slightly different from the ones that regularly work fine.
    this.

I would also check the extractor tension (although I'm not sure how to do that on external extractor 1911). Too tight of extractor would cause it not to go battery completely time to time.
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3250#more-3250
    Last edited by Mity2; December 23rd, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

I've seen this multiple times on the 1911 forum. Brand new gun, brand new wilson mags, gun doesn't run perfectly. I dont get it. Why not try the oem mags?

(Lawrence County)

I have a 1911 that will run almost anything but the two Wilson 47D's I have. They choked at least every other time. Personally, I won't touch Wilsons anymore.

If you can, check the mag lip width of the mags that run and visually inspect how high the rounds sit in the mag side by side. Mag lips that are too tight will stall the round on the ramp due to the rounds hitting too low.

As far as extractor tension, you could put in a lighter spring, but the easier solution is to increase the slide speed and reduce friction. You do that by working the slide a lot and breaking it in along with polishing the ramp and (sometimes) radiusing the extractor correctly. A combination of things like this, opens up the working envelope of the 1911 drastically. Don't forget to run that slide wet with oil.

My first step would be to try a McCormick after I looked at those mags.

Lycancalipersthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

I have two Sig 1911's. A TacOps and a Scorpion Carry. I had some feeding issues with mine at the start. In my case it was almost always a failure to go into battery. Rounds just weren't getting chambered with enough oomph. This was uniform with both of them, the full size TacOps and the Commander sized Scorpion. I changed the recoil springs on both guns with new springs and both guns started running like tops. I've read a few people complain the recoil springs in the Sig 1911's aren't quite what they should be. I am tending to believe that. I also went two pounds heavier on the springs for each (I don't recall exactly, maybe 18lb for the full size and 20 for the Commander). I also just tend to use whatever 1911 mags I have on any given day. It could be the ones that came with it, Shooting Stars, or Baer mags, all of which I have in abundance.

AJ

I had similar first round FTF issues with my brand new Citadel 3.5 CS. It was 100% reliable with six rounds in the factory magazines, but would not feed the first round if loaded to seven.

I bought Chip McCormick seven rounders and it's great with those.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

This is why ya should run 500-1000rds thru a new pistol before trusting your life to it. Break in applys to mags too. I'd say just give it a few hundred more rounds , with thorough cleaning and lubing between sessions before making any hasty decisions.

I know you're close so IM me if you want to borrow a few CMC Shooting Stars to try.
    Last edited by abner13; December 31st, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123