Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: LEOSA Qualification

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    In Philadelphia we had to turn in any LTCF before attending the Academy.
    And the reason for doing this is what? There is no reason for you not to have a LTCF. I have one, even though I don't need it.

Just think, since you no longer have a LTCF, you cannot enter a Gun Free School Zone unless you are in the performance if your duties, ie.......working. But because I have my LTCF......I don't have to worry about GFSZ's!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Federal stuff is not the problem.. it's Pennsylvania's LEOSA regulations... these are what's at issue. http://www.psp.pa.gov/MPOETC/rleia/P...x#.VnIZeIYrKHs
    I had no idea that even existed. Pretty complex considering the (federal) LEOSA doesn't seem to require any of it. The ID could be printed on standard copier paper, as far as I can see.

(Bucks County)

It's a typical narrowing by local and state authority. An example is the 1968 Miranda decision, which began the warnings to a subject in custody. The commonwealth narrowed it to any person being questioned had to be "Mirandized" when the conversation shifted to suspicion that the person might be the perpetrator of the crime, even if the conversation is non-custodial and the person being questioned knows they are free to go at any time.

Desk fliers err on the side of caution, someone raises a what if, and it gets tightened some more.

As I understand it, the commonwealth decided that the entire state needed to have the same ID card format, arguing that LE all over where in a position of seeing varying forms, creating a problem telling what was real and what was forged.

As for Philadelphia Police Academy, it once told recruits no guns until having qualified. Once qualified, the cadet was free to go to a gun shop and buy and carry off duty in Pennsylvania. Interesting that despite the clearances and psychological evaluations the recruit is disarmed and becomes a second class citizen. Interesting that the FOP doesn't do something about it.

Recruits are not permitted to carry firearms until authorized by the Academy staff. It is done to prevent a recruit from taking police action w/o proper training/certification. Once out of the academy PPD has no rules about having a LTCF. Like it or not, it's just one of the many rules you put up with once you take the oath. PPD class #277
    This is a response to Steve in PA's question. It is not a law, just one of PPD requirements.
    Last edited by wsd302; December 19th, 2015 at 07:01 AM.

(Perry County)

As I recall, I too was barred from carry while in the academy even though I possessed an LTCF. Just a condition of employment.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Luzerne County)

So, prior to going through some police academies, you could have a LTCF and carry a firearm for protection.

During the academy, you give up this right, and are left with nothing to defend yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    We (PPD) just got accredited and now I have to qualify (very simple course) with anything I want to carry under my authority from Philadelphia. And from what I am being told, it is every year. As long as they have the caliber, they will supply the Ammo. Previously we could carry whatever we wanted, but I believe the lawsuits from stupid incidents ended that.

It is still not clear as to whether it is every gun or just caliber. Glock 22 covering a 23 and 27 for example.
    On my job you qualify with whatever weapon you want the job to indemnify you for. We're allowed to carry anything we want per HR218 off duty but if we take action of duty smart money says to have that gun that you used to be on the indemnified list.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Bucks County)

All thanks to Ayoob's article which cannot be backed up by any verifiable incidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    So, prior to going through some police academies, you could have a LTCF and carry a firearm for protection.

During the academy, you give up this right, and are left with nothing to defend yourself?

Just your dukes

poseexample.jpg

(Allegheny County)

This is my big argument against federally involved "constitutional carry". If people thing .gov is just going to say "have at it boys", think again. If they (and the state) put these restrictions on coppers, you better believe they will put the same or worse on everyone else. Keep your hands out of my carry rights.. You don't want big government involved in them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast