Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: LEOSA Qualification

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    No..there are enough stray dogs for all of us to shoot 6 or 7 a piece!!! I have a safe full of handguns that I will never be able to carry over my (by the time I am done) 33 year career..... department policy only allows me to carry what I qualify with and they supply the ammo. So then the magic day comes when I retire... LEOSA has the same damn rule.. qualification and you can only carry what you qualify with.

I would rather forget LEOSA.... get my LTCF... carry all my safe queens.. never have to qualify again or worry about having my ability to carry a firearm stripped away from me... go blind and still be able to carry if I want to.

So I won't be able to carry in New Jersey.... big loss.
    I would tend to disagree that you must carry the exact gun you qualify with. I remember debate somewhere.... That LEOSA only states the same "type" of gun you qualify with. I.e. Pistol / revolver.

See NRA info on the subject. http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

Have any of you current cops on here carried off-duty under LEOSA in "commie" states or DC or NYC?
    Or is it not worth the potential hassles that you may encounter?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Have any of you current cops on here carried off-duty under LEOSA in "commie" states or DC?
    Not in the retired aspect, but I've carried in multiple other states while traveling. Lets see..... DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, NJ, NY, NH, CT, VT, & MA

Was pulled over in VA one time for going a bit too fast on I81. Trooper asked if I had any weapons in the car, and pointed out that he saw the FOP emblem. I said, "yeah, several." He asked where they were. I said, "there's a Glock 23 by my right thigh, between my thigh and the center console, a Glock 22 in the glove box, and a .38 in the wife's purse between her feet".
    He asked to see my credentials, which I provided. Then sent me on my way.

Which reminds me, I'd better log off soon...leaving in an hour for Pittsburgh. Grabbing a Primanti's sandwich in Oakland, picking up the eldest from college, and turning around to head back east. Ugh

ETA: only place I had a real concern was Boston. USS Constitution is on federal property. Wanted to see it, but was carrying, and was doubtful I could carry on federal property. Took a trolley out there, so no place close to lock up. So I skipped seeing the ship, and instead took photos from afar.
    Last edited by jw34; December 15th, 2015 at 11:14 AM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    ETA: only place I had a real concern was Boston. USS Constitution is on federal property. Wanted to see it, but was carrying, and was doubtful I could carry on federal property. Took a trolley out there, so no place close to lock up. So I skipped seeing the ship, and instead took photos from afar.
    Doesn't the whole "national parks fall under the state they live in thing for gun reasons" now cover this, or did your trip predate that?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Doesn't the whole "national parks fall under the state they live in thing for gun reasons" now cover this, or did your trip predate that?
    Wasn't sure and didn't do my research before I left. Saw the extensive "TSA like" security checkpoint at the entry, and figured that I didn't want to find out the hard way that I failed to properly research.

(Bucks County)

A department that only lets you carry what they issue is depriving you of a BG and carrying smaller or different handgun off duty??? That may be a policy but I doubt they have that authority. Matter of fact, they are actually in violation of LEOSA if they are interfering with the provisions of the license, in my opinion.

NO WAY are you limited to the firearm you qualified with carrying with LEOSA license. You are misinformed. The opinion that you can only carry the type qualified with is questionable also, but qualifying with semi-auto and revolver solves the problem.

While I am at it...The law was changed a couple years ago re LEOSA loaded with hollow point ammo in New Jersey. NJ is stuck with tolerating your HP ammo:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=LEOSA+h...e46bb24ef8a69f
    Last edited by Bang; December 15th, 2015 at 06:33 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Have any of you current cops on here carried off-duty under LEOSA in "commie" states or DC or NYC?
    I carry all of the time in NJ, except on the beach.

We were up in NYC a few weeks ago and the only place I didn't carry was the Empire State Building. Never made it down to the 911 Memorial though.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    A department that only lets you carry what they issue is depriving you of a BG and carrying smaller or different handgun off duty??? That may be a policy but I doubt they have that authority. Matter of fact, they are actually in violation of LEOSA if they are interfering with the provisions of the license, in my opinion.

NO WAY are you limited to the firearm you qualified with carrying with LEOSA license. You are misinformed. The opinion that you can only carry the type qualified with is questionable also, but qualifying with semi-auto and revolver solves the problem.

While I am at it...The law was changed a couple years ago re LEOSA loaded with hollow point ammo in New Jersey. NJ is stuck with tolerating your HP ammo:

We (PPD) just got accredited and now I have to qualify (very simple course) with anything I want to carry under my authority from Philadelphia. And from what I am being told, it is every year. As long as they have the caliber, they will supply the Ammo. Previously we could carry whatever we wanted, but I believe the lawsuits from stupid incidents ended that.

It is still not clear as to whether it is every gun or just caliber. Glock 22 covering a 23 and 27 for example.

(Allegheny County)

Here is where the confusion comes in... It's my PD that's creating the issue. Just figured this out.. here is how they are doing it..

"a retiree can qualify on the weapon on which an agency's active employees qualify, or any weapon. The regulations do not limit qualification to any specific weapon. If a public agency chooses to qualify its retirees based on the agency's standards, the public agency is free to specify what weapon must be used in the course of fire. However, a public agency has no obligation to qualify its retirees."

(Luzerne County)

A department, by policy can mandate that their active officers only carry an issued or authorized handgun both on and off-duty. Yes, they have that authority and it is a condition of your employment. PA law doesn't have this restriction, but your department can.

If you choose to carry something else off-duty, you would be in violation of the policy and subject to disciplinary actions, which could include being fired. You would be covered by LEOSA for carrying anything you want, however because you are violating your departments policy, a lawyer will jump all over that should you get involved in a shooting. And, since you violated your departments policy, your department will hang you out to dry.

For retired officers, MPOETC requires the retired officer to qualify with either a revolver, semi-auto pistol or both. Further, if you want to carry more than one semi-auto pistol, and the second pistol is of a different "type" than the first, the officer must also qualify with the second pistol.

In other words, if you qualify with a Glock, then according to MPOETC, you can carry any Glock under the provisions of LEOSA. However, if your second pistol has different "controls" from the Glock, such as a S&W or Sig, then the officer has to qualify with the S&W or Sig. I have documentation from MPOETC attesting to this requirement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast