Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New glasses

(York County)

Default New glasses

For the first time in my life I have glasses.

I started noticing (admittedly a couple years ago) that objects at distance seemed fuzzy. Driving at night was a challenge. I had my eyes checked and I'm 20/80 left eye and 20/70 right eye (I'm right eye dominate). My vision close up (reading, computer, etc.) is fine. I now have glasses. While driving everything is nice and clear now but as soon as I look down at the speedometer it's fuzzy.

Today I went to the range with my glasses for the first time. Glasses on - the target is sharp but the front sight is fuzzy and hard to hold a decent group. Glasses off and focus on the front sight is clear 14 rounds make one jagged hole at 7 yards but the target is fuzzy.

I would like everything to be clear (who wouldn't) but I'm in a quandary. Bifocals would work for reading and driving but not shooting.

Any thoughts?

III% - Stand and be counted

(Delaware County)

Default Re: New glasses

Some sort of transitional lenses, I should think. I also need glasses for distance but not reading or close-up work. When wearing regular lenses for distance, it's hard to see close-up even though I can see close-up without the glasses. The transitional lenses do the trick.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Some sort of transitional lenses, I should think. I also need glasses for distance but not reading or close-up work. When wearing regular lenses for distance, it's hard to see close-up even though I can see close-up without the glasses. The transitional lenses do the trick.
    Thanks - I'll ask the optometrist about them

III% - Stand and be counted

(Lackawanna County)

There is a gun that is made for just such problems, go to your favorite gun pusher and ask for a, shotgun, it's the problem solver.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(York County)

Maybe try wearing contacts instead of glasses? I wear contacts for distance but have no problem focusing on my front sight with them on.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    I have transitionals, and can't shoot for crap with them. (Not that I am all that great a shot anyway.) NOTHING is in focus, and that makes things even worse for me. Another drawback is that the variable focus part doesn't cover the whole lens (horizontally) but is only a narrow "slit" right in the center of your field of view. Peripheral vision remains uncorrected. I just wear uncorrected safety glasses for shooting. The front sight is "focused enough" for me and I just live with a slightly blurry target, I even shoot trap this way (and occasionally even hit the clay.) Your eyeballs may vary.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

Your only 47 get contacts.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Perry County)

I have some Swiss Eye shooting glasses. They come with plastic frames that snap in for prescription lenses. In my case, I cut the frame so I had only one lens and had inserts ground so I could see the front sight while wearing my contacts. You could do the opposite by having your non-dominate eye lens ground for distance allowing you to see the sights with the dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I picked up some Swiss Eye from Sierra Trading Post. Unfortunately, they don't have any more on their site. They're nice because you have the three different colored lenses, the prescription insert and they're light and stay on your head.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

lasik?

(Delaware County)

I've been wearing glasses since I was 6 for double vision (no longer corrected) and progressively worse myopia (near-sighted). I got my first bi-focal prescription last June. They measured my reading distance (16") by handing me a card to read and measuring the distance card-to-eye, then setting the card on a holder at 16" to adjust the machine for best correction. Regular/distance prescription was handled the way it always was with the big chart on the wall. My progressive lenses go from 16" focus at the bottom to full distance at the top for both eyes.

I had planned ahead for my shooting glasses by bringing the slide from my 1911. After finishing with my reading prescription we started on my front-sight prescription. I held up the slide in front of the machine and we adjusted for best correction at that distance (23"). The lenses for my shooting glasses are single-focus - 23" focus on my shooting eye and full distance on the other. It is *much* less distracting than you might think, and it works.

These are my glasses:
    http://www.esseyepro.com/Crosshair-O...90_detail.html

This is my prescription insert:
    http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html

I got the (prescription) shooting lenses with no special coatings or materials because they would be behind the safety lenses and I'm a cheap bast frugal guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast