Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: New Ruger GP100 22LR!!

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Well these are some quality 22s. Some are just under 1K and some more than that. You get what you pay for.

those are custom 22 pistols and very impressive looking but that doesn't change the fact you can buy a quality 22 for much less than a grand that while perhaps not as accurate as those custom guns every bit as reliable. i've never had a malfunction with my ruger mkiii or browning buckmark and can consistantly shoot quarter sized groups at 15 yards which is good enough for me. my SW M&P 22 is also 100% reliable but not quite as accurate as the buckmark or ruger but it's a great pistol to introduce new shooters to firearms. i'll stand by my statement that you can buy a quality 22 pistol for much less than a grand that satisfies the needs of the majority of shooters.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Why do people who have a passion for something that most deem over priced or unecessary have to justify themselves with the saying "you get what you pay for" demeaning everything else but what they have?
    You are reading too much into "you get what you pay for." I meant that literally. For example: a high end pistol will have an adjustable trigger--I mean you put your finger where it is perpendicular to the center line of the frame and actually physically move the trigger to that point. A free pistol will have the absolute best trigger pull you can get without exception and yet will not fire by being bumped; it is just built without any compromise. The sights are the best money can buy in application, tracking, and no slack. These features and many I did not cover are what you are paying for, if you have no desire for these features, you can get a less expensive gun without them. I will close with this, if you are not in a hurry to sell one of these guns, you rarely ever lose money and commonly sell them for more than you bought them for.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    Well these are some quality 22s. Some are just under 1K and some more than that. You get what you pay for.

What distances and what kind of accuracy are you getting out of those custom 22's, just curious. Do you use them to shoot in competitions or just casual plinking at the range. Thanks

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    What distances and what kind of accuracy are you getting out of those custom 22's, just curious. Do you use them to shoot in competitions or just casual plinking at the range. Thanks
    I used to compete in both Conventional (Bullseye) Pistol and I shot some International style matches; specifically standard pistol, free pistol, air pistol, and center fire. I am getting older now and really slowed down in the competition shooting. I tested the conventional guns for accuracy at 50 yards from a rest. The High Standards (not a real expensive pistol) would routinely shoot 5-shot groups well under 1" at 50 yards with ammo they liked. The European guns were not any more accurate but they were so adjustable that you could get comfortable with them and they would usually produce a little better scores. The free pistols would shoot under 1/2" (and sometimes closer to 1/4") groups at 50 meters. I would use pretty high end ammo like Eley Match or Laupa Midas outdoors with them. I was never a great free pistol shooter, it is REALLY hard, but it was no fault of the pistols. I also modified some Ruger MK IIs as target guns for myself and others and they were nearly as bench accurate as the real high end stuff from Europe. The only thing you gave up was the adjustability.

(Susquehanna County)

The Free pistols are typically shot at 50 meters. ISSF competition is shot at 50 and 25 meters. NRA conventional is 50 (slow fire) and 25 yards (timed and rapid) is standard though there are reduced distance matches for 25 yd. slow fire and indoor for 50 ft. ranges. Simple searches can give you the courses of fire and targets for the disciplines mentioned.

The Benelli, and the High Standards shown as well as Hammerli, and Walther GSP/OSP are all production pieces. Visit http://www.larrysguns.com and you'll get the flavor of fine target pistols.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    The Free pistols are typically shot at 50 meters. ISSF competition is shot at 50 and 25 meters. NRA conventional is 50 (slow fire) and 25 yards (timed and rapid) is standard though there are reduced distance matches for 25 yd. slow fire and indoor for 50 ft. ranges. Simple searches can give you the courses of fire and targets for the disciplines mentioned.

The Benelli, and the High Standards shown as well as Hammerli, and Walther GSP/OSP are all production pieces. Visit http://www.larrysguns.com and you'll get the flavor of fine target pistols.
    You all need to listen to Brick. He is a wealth of information about shooting and is 100% right about Larry's.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

Thanks for the info this is the first time I've seen high end custom 22's, very impressive collection you have there.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    Thanks for the info this is the first time I've seen high end custom 22's, very impressive collection you have there.
    Brick is also right about the pistols being stock. With the exception of the electronic sights, they are just the way you would see them out of box. Now there has been some hacking done on my old Russian free pistol..

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! But, don't give me too much credit!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Kentucky Gun co has pre-orders on the Ruger GP .22lr coming in at $709.00 shipped.

http://www.kygunco.com/mobile/produc...ruger-handguns

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast