Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Meh. OC Experiences

I probably haven't started a thread in years. People talk to me about my gun from time to time, never negative, often positive or even thanking me for carrying (which is uncomfortable). Cops never say a word to me. They probably think I will asshole out on them or just don't want the bother. Or maybe I look unfriendly. Most people don't post here anymore about that routine stuff.

In the past couple weeks I have had people making small talk about my sidearm wherever I go. Just, "Hey, what are you carrying?" "Is that a Glock?" etc. The difference is, after about 7 years, it has been incessant the past few weeks.

Could be coincidence. But it is certainly abnormal in my experience, so I wonder if there is some type of cultural shift going on or something else.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Meh. OC Experiences

Yeahp I mentioned this in another thread. Even soccer moms.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I probably haven't started a thread in years. People talk to me about my gun from time to time, never negative, often positive or even thanking me for carrying (which is uncomfortable). Cops never say a word to me. They probably think I will asshole out on them or just don't want the bother. Or maybe I look unfriendly. Most people don't post here anymore about that routine stuff.

In the past couple weeks I have had people making small talk about my sidearm wherever I go. Just, "Hey, what are you carrying?" "Is that a Glock?" etc. The difference is, after about 7 years, it has been incessant the past few weeks.

Could be coincidence. But it is certainly abnormal in my experience, so I wonder if there is some type of cultural shift going on or something else.
    I had a negative experience, was at a JC Penny's in the greater Harrisburg area (near a 5 guys, a target, & a Christmas Tree shops) doing the Christmas shopping with the wife.

My wife likes shinny things, and my mother for the first time in her life is going to get her ears pierced, so as my wife did whatever real shopping needed to be done, I thought I would look at the shines.

Apparently the lady was a true Hoplophobiaic; as I described what I was looking for she said she wasn't comfortable with guns, and called someone else over to help me and went on break. Well she was waiting to be rescued (or you know, throwing a co-worker under the bus with the crazy gun guy) I kept describing what I was looking for, so you know, she would actually have to do her job. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of the fact that woman wear pants, or that every idiot in the hospital wears scrubs (this actually does bother me, it looks unprofessional, and scrubs are impractical, not disease or blood born pathogen resistant, & have no place outside of an OR. )

Anyway, the other lady came over, a short report was given, and then I put some stuff aside to be picked up later (They had a sale which did not start until later in the week, but items could be set aside now). Eventually the wife came over and found a watch she wanted.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

Is that a Glock or are you just happy to see me?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(York County)

I agree, the interest shown over the last 2-3 weeks has been more than the last 10 years combined. Since my primary public interaction is once a day at Rutters for coffee, I've had chats with a few women interested in self protection, a truck driver from NC, two PA Troopers, and even a MD state policeman who must live in PA (they need nicer uniforms too). The one young trooper must have been a trainee with number two. He was too preoccupied with his texting to notice me standing right next to him preparing my coffee and OC. I cracked a joke with the older PSP about not letting him text and drive.

I prefer the I un-eventful morning coffee, but if the discussion sways another person to our side I'll take the win any day!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Tioga County)

Reality is starting to set in for a lot of people.

A woman I work with went to the Philly Gun Permit Unit on Friday and said the place was jam packed. She got turned away with her application because her DL had her first and middle initials and last name and her other ID had her full name.
    MikeP

(Berks County)

I just couldn't get past the first sentence in the OP...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    Reality is starting to set in for a lot of people.

A woman I work with went to the Philly Gun Permit Unit on Friday and said the place was jam packed. She got turned away with her application because her DL had her first and middle initials and last name and her other ID had her full name.
    That's right; shit just got real. It’s not surprising that some attitudes are changing. I think Paris was the first foreign attack that people here could really identify with – regular people being slaughtered at cafés, a stadium and a theater. And now coworkers at a holiday party here. Throw in a President and Democratic party that want to import more potential terrorists and then tell us that we’re bigots for not going along, and all of a sudden lots more people are “getting it”. The question “why would you carry a gun” just answered itself.

(Berks County)

The daughter-in-law just mentioned that she got her LTCF and will carry in her car until she gets more comfortable, then in her purse.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    The daughter-in-law just mentioned that she got her LTCF and will carry in her car until she gets more comfortable, then in her purse.
    Try to talk her into carrying IWB over in a purse...I just don't trust purse carry for a few reasons: security, accessibility...
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast