Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Bayo Lug on my Colt

I have a Colt HBAR II. I want to replace the front sight with one that has a bayolug on it. I am also threading the bbl and installing a flash hider in the coming weeks.

Basically, what I want to know is can I mount a bayonet on this?

What is the length between the part that attaches to the lug, and the ring that goes around the hider?

Are there different lengths available?

Is there anything that I can do with the sight and hider to ensure that I will be able to mount on in the future? I do NOT want to permanetly attach the flash hider

Thanks

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Bayo Lug on my Colt

That looks like a 16 inch barrel. If it is, the answer is no you can't mount a bayo. They will *attach* but they aren't secure. The M4 carbine has a 14.5 inch barrel for a reason. It's the same distance between the bayo lug and FH as a 20 inch rifle.

I see you're still trying to *militarize* your rifle? j/k

(Beaver County)

I just want a big pointy stick at the end of it!

I bought an adapter to place on the bbl, and I got an M9 too. In three weeks, when I get the bbl threaded, I'll put the flash hider that I all ready have on, and Ill be set!

(Chester County)

Your gun looks like a 16 inch car(carbine) If you had a midlength you would be able to have a bayonet attach properly. A midlength is also a 16 inch barrel. I did see a special bayonet that had an extention to use on a car model. It was about 100 bucks.

My advice is save your money with the bayonet lug. Just get the barrel threaded. Then get yourself another upper or rifle with lug and FH.

(Bucks County)

Hey avizpls, I have the same rifle. I called Colt to see about the flash hider and they said that they pin them on, threading the barrel will give you problems if you ever need to send it back to the factory. I think they charge $75 for this work. I also had a gunsmith tell me that the best thing to do about the flash hider is to send it back to Colt and avoid any problems down the road.

What I am saying is that it may be a good idea to call Colt before you make your move to resolve the bayonet issue...Mike45

(Bucks County)

Avizpls, if you do thread the barrel, I have a new flash supressor you can have. I bought one but I'm not going to use it, I will have Colt put one on...let me know via E-mail...Mike45

(Lawrence County)

(Montgomery County)

1. dont worry about Colt having issues with the barrel being threaded, they wont even care....unless you ar trying to get a new barrel out of them

2. Replacing the ffront sight unit is kind of a PITA, due to the fact that the thing is held on with taper pins. they only are installed one way, and are drilled when the barrel is assembled. replacement with a new tower would require a new tower installed, located straight, and new taper pins drilled and installed. If replacing, you may further run into a 'F" marked tower issue...colt marks its flattop upper towers with a small "F" on the left side of the tower to ensure proper height matchup with the detachable carry handle...but you would still have the problem with...

3. as TonyF said, the bayo does not fit due to barrel length issues, the 16" barrel moves the flash hider beyond the bayonet support ring on the M7 and m9 bayos designed for the m16 family.... as shown:

my recommendation is get the bayo lug adapter from bushmaster, and mount it and be done with it:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Beaver County)

hurumph. I gathered all this info along the way else where too.

I decided on getting on of those clamp-on lug adapters. If i like it, great. if not, I'll consider a new barrel assembly all together.

Thanks.

And mike: what kind of flash hider? I might be interested. I have an A1, but I'm not super thrilled with it. It was cheap!
    thanks

(Bucks County)

Avizpls, I have a cheap thread-on also, although the catalog said it was the best available, cost $10. I'd be glad to send it to you...Mike45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast