Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question about person to person transfers

Hello. To start off with I'm an ohio resident and am wondering about person to person sales of a rifle. More specifically a yugoslovian sks. About a year and a half ago, I purchased a sks from a friend of a friend who was also a resident of ohio. I was told that there was no paperwork that needed to be kept. I have grown paranoid though since the gun is not registered in my name and am wondering if there was something that should have been done. I've seen some dealerships do some kind of transfer, but I just want to make sure I am safe and cannot get in trouble for possesing this gun. Also if I could sell it one day if I wanted to get rid of it. I realize that this is a forum for pa, but I couldnt find one as good for ohioans. I would appreciate a reply.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Question about person to person transfers

First and foremost: You really need to talk to someone that is versed in Ohio gun law. You will get many opinions on any forum that you ask this question, Research Ohio gun law, then you will be certain.

Here is my opinion:
    Here in PA there is no registry for long arms other than the Federal 4473 that someone fills out when they buy a gun from a dealer. This form is kept by the dealer, no one else gets a copy. If they buy a gun from a private party there is no paperwork at all other than what the seller and buyer are willing to do between themselves. If Ohio is that way also I wouldn't worry.

Did you do a bill of sale or anything? If you did then you should be covered (other than any Ohio law I don't know about). If questions arise, then you show the bill of sale and say I bought it from this guy. The very worse thing I could see happening is that it gets confiscated for some reason. That said, if you've owned it for 18 months and the police haven't come knocking then you probably don't have anything to worry about, even if you want to sell it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

What Xringshooter said..

If I remember correctly, OH has no laws restricting private transfers of handguns or long guns. ...meaning no paperwork is required. OH has no registry, so there is no "registered in my name". Only a couple states have long gun transfer paperwork and/or registrations - OH isn't one of them.

The 4473 form you fill out when you buy a gun at a FFL is not a registration - its just a formal transfer log recording the sale from the dealer.

No need to worry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Well in that case, I am still in contact with the person and would probably be able to work out a bill of sale and mail it to him, and in turn he could mail me a copy back. Would that be good if we both signed it?

(Centre County)

Wouldn't hurt, if he wants to do it. I always want a bill of sale if I sell or buy something like that, if for nothing more than insurance claims if needed.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member