Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wexford SGL ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Wexford SGL ?

Sorry if this has been posted already but I cannot find the answer.

What kind of targets are allowed at the Wexford rifle range in the SGL? Of course I got one of those Orange bouncing impact seal targets as a gift. I don't need to get fined for using it. If there is a officer there I could ask and the worst he says is no and I just don't use it. But I don't want him to say it is fine and the next time one isn't there when I show up and start using it one show up 5 minutes later and fine me because he sees it out on the range.

Any help would be great.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Wexford SGL ?

I am 99.9% certain you cannot use any targets like that.
    Targets must be paper that you staple to their backer boards as far as I know. Just standard type targets or paper plates etc

(Allegheny County)

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937862&mode=2

You are only allowed to shoot at a paper target on the ranges backstops.

Also personally I think shooting at objects on the ground is an invitation for a bullet to skip off the ground and leave the range.

While most clubs probably have rules against shooting at similar ground targets. I would look at joining a club anyhow. The level of safety practiced at the SGL is abysmal. I used to be a proponent of the SGL as a public place to shoot and I believe the idea of a public range is a good one. However to many unsafe shooters that have no desire to learn proper safe handling/shooting habbets frequent the SGL range. Check out the following thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=97600
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I read that thread lastnight. I live out in cranberry now but moving to mccandless in Jan 15. The STG is close by so it is convienet.

Now I read about people mentioning about private clubs but they have to be put on a waiting list and/or know someone already in the club. I don't know anybody in a club to be used as a reference. I also only looking to shoot for fine for like an hour a two a month and not really looking to go to meetings or volunteer for maintaining the grounds.

Not to change the subject but I have family that volunteers at the local animal shelter and asked me to volunteer. I don't do it because I am not always home or have the extra time to do their required volunteer time per month. So I probably would be let in a club since my volunteer time would be pretty much nonexistent.

(Allegheny County)

I meant to say not be let in the club because I wouldn't really be able to volunteer.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capginyu67 View Post
    Yeah I read that thread lastnight. I live out in cranberry now but moving to mccandless in Jan 15. The STG is close by so it is convienet.

Now I read about people mentioning about private clubs but they have to be put on a waiting list and/or know someone already in the club. I don't know anybody in a club to be used as a reference. I also only looking to shoot for fine for like an hour a two a month and not really looking to go to meetings or volunteer for maintaining the grounds.

Not to change the subject but I have family that volunteers at the local animal shelter and asked me to volunteer. I don't do it because I am not always home or have the extra time to do their required volunteer time per month. So I probably would be let in a club since my volunteer time would be pretty much nonexistent.
    I live in the same area as you and belong to PMSC, its a bit of a drive, but worth it for the facilities. There are a number of public events at PMSC and there are four organized group shoots between PAFOA members, but those are done for this year. I have also heard of people showing up at the meeting and finding a sponsor.

New members have to do a work party or pay a one time penalty during their first renewal if they do not.
    Last edited by QuackXP; December 1st, 2015 at 01:03 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capginyu67 View Post
    I meant to say not be let in the club because I wouldn't really be able to volunteer.
    So, I believe both PMSC and BVRPC will allow you to shoot at the kind of target you describe. PMSC allows you to buy your way out of the work party. BVRPC's yearly dues are slightly more but don't have this restriction.

Anywhere else in the North Hills is going to require either a waitlist or some kind of tango to be admitted (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

I'm certain that if you show up at any event at either that is open to the public and introduce yourself around you can get someone to endorse your application.

On the SGL: you cannot shoot at anything except paper targets affixed to the target hangers provided. Not lately, but a solid decade ago I watched people do it, and watched them get fined for doing so. Further, while the pistol bays are somewhat better since they rebuilt them, the rifle range is still somewhat of a hot mess at the SGL. And you want to live. You owe it to yourself to join a club and make the drive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    So, I believe both PMSC and BVRPC will allow you to shoot at the kind of target you describe.
    You cannot shoot at ground targets at PMSC.

Rules for All PMSC Areas
    7. All firearm shooters and observers will adhere to the following Safety
    Rules:
    h. With the exception of trap and skeet, all outdoor targets must be positioned so each shot will impact the berm. Shooting over the top of the berm or at the ground is prohibited.
    http://www.pmsconline.com/pmsc/files...20HANDBOOK.pdf
    Last edited by QuackXP; December 1st, 2015 at 01:04 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    You cannot shoot at ground targets at PMSC.

http://www.pmsconline.com/pmsc/files...20HANDBOOK.pdf
    Interesting. I guess the group shoots are gonna have to be more circumspect about blasting pumpkins in the future (the blasting of said pumpkins is what led me to believe PMSC allowed the practice). Mea culpa.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    Interesting. I guess the group shoots are gonna have to be more circumspect about blasting pumpkins in the future (the blasting of said pumpkins is what led me to believe PMSC allowed the practice). Mea culpa.
    Was not there for that. If the pumpkins where at the base of the berm or on the berm then they might have been ok. But if they where shooting at pumpkins on the ground at intermediate distances from the firing line and the berm that is defiantly against the rules.

The reason being is that you could get a bullet to skip off the ground and leave the range. As long as your rounds are impacting the berm/backstop. You should be OK as far as the rules go.

Additional Action Bays and the Pavilion Range Rules
    1. Use only target stands with sticks as target holders. Do not shoot at the
    target stand.
    2. Do not attach a target to any other Action Bay prop item such as barrels,
    walls, panels, etc.
    3. Shoot only at paper or cardboard targets. Cans, bottles or other nonpaper
    items may not be used as targets.
    Technically paper targets are the only type to be shot. I believe this is more because of the issue of trash vs safety. But its a violation of rules.

While I am not speaking for the club, as long as you are being safe and clean up after yourself you should be OK. There has been evidence found of worse kinds of ass-hattery than just pumpkin shooting.

That being said PMSC has the least restrictive rules of most clubs in the area. There are tons of clubs where you cannot draw from a holster, shoot rapid fire, move, etc. etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast