I own a Rossi M92 24" Octagonal rifle in .357 . It shoots fine now after slicking it up and experimenting with different sights. No problems at all now. But, it's too front heavy for me to handle any more. Money is tight. No funds to buy another. Plus, I'm hesitant to sell it because it's a good shooter now and you never know what you get with another gun.

So, in my infinite wisdom...lol...I thought cutting the barrel to 18" do the trick. I'm relatively handy. My garage workshop doesn't have a lathe but there are a bunch of hand tools, drill press, band saw, grinders and so forth. Anyhow, I wanted a pro take a look and so took it to a local gunsmith for an opinion. After looking it over, he said he could do the job for $350. The price seemed steep to me but I really have no reference, except the cost of the gun wasn't that much more than $350. Basically, I was told cutting the barrel is easy but adding the peripheral stuff - front sight, pins, etc. - are the time consuming/difficult part.

What do you think? Any gunsmiths that won't balk at working on a Rossi M92? Thank you.