Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default "Gun free" zone carry meme on Facebook. Thoughts about the wisdom of advertising?

gun free zone.jpg

I admit that depending on the location (not prohibited by law) I sometimes carry in areas labeled as "gun free" zones. I know the possible legal implications regarding trespass. It's something I did as a Trooper and I never quit.

My personal thoughts are this. If a business doesn't have a secure entrance with a search for all who enter (like some sporting events or concerts) that business cares not one whit about safety. It's about liability and being a "gun free" zone allows them deniability if something were to happen and they end up as a defendant in a civil suit.

I don't know how I feel about smacking the antis in the face like this. In some ways, I see it like open carry. You should know I'm carrying (in the abstract) and that your "gun free" zone is anything but. On the other hand, would a business go to the expense and trouble of trying to really become "gun free" with magnetometers and security? I doubt it unless the owner is truly rabidly anti-gun.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; November 25th, 2015 at 01:49 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Monroe County)

Default Re: "Gun free" zone carry meme on Facebook. Thoughts about the wisdom of advertising?

I'm thinking of this when I go see Star Wars.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: "Gun free" zone carry meme on Facebook. Thoughts about the wisdom of advertising?

Meh, I would never go out of my way to say I'm ignoring a no guns or weapons sign. I've said before I'm amused at the people that will see me open carrying and tell me or show me they're carrying concealed. People know me different places and if I'm cc or wearing a larger jacket will ask me why I'm not carrying.

It's a Facebook post so most of the persons friends probably know anyway. With me carrying had always been like my sexual preference, I didn't announce it to everyone or anyone. If you are, why does anyone need to know?

I've been oc for five+ years now and recently started to cc again. Thinking about the Paris attacks and while its improbable to happen anyplace I frequent but it's one more step in staying safe.

I liked open because I got to talk to people and if not change their hearts and minds, they at least viewed the issue from a different and honest perspective.

So I guess I'm saying if it starts a conversation and people learn from it or gain an understanding, it's a good thing.

I certainly disarm when going into the courthouse, and any other place which provides adequate armed security and metal detectors, where it is a statutory crime to carry.

Any place that has magnetometers but not enough armed guards, I just won't patronize. They are only disarming the law-abiding, but doing nothing to stop determined killers. The spree shooter at the Navy base is a good example of how one obvious armed guard is totally inadequate to stop an armed bad guy. (At the same time, just one concealed carrier in the mix can surprise and thwart your average spree shooter, because he's not sitting at the entrance wearing a "shoot me first" uniform.)

Places without even magnetometers or guards, with just pieces of paper on the walls declaring themselves gun-free zones, have less practical effect than a United Nations declaration of disapproval.

I respect the property rights of others. I don't necessarily cooperate with stupidity, though. I think that gun-free zones are a recipe for disaster, and I won't help create them or participate in the madness.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

I don't go looking for signs. So unless one is blatantly obvious I carry everywhere that there is no security screenings and is not specifically prohibited by law.

As GL said most places that have a minimum metal detectors but nothing else I stay away from.

But unfortunately because of a medical condition of a family member I have to frequent the ER more often than the average person. If your lucky there is one armed guard/police officer. Sometimes its just a unarmed guard. But my choice is not be armed or not be there for a sick family member.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Wayne County)

I view it about the same as I view the benefit of OCing long guns into restaurants and taking selfies by the salad bar. While it may be lawful, I don't see it as being particularly beneficial and possibly even counterproductive.

Actually, at least OCing a long gun doesn't constitute bragging about defiant trespass.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I respect the property rights of others. I don't necessarily cooperate with stupidity, though. I think that gun-free zones are a recipe for disaster, and I won't help create them or participate in the madness.
    I agree with the above and I don't go out of my way looking for "no gun" signs.
    MikeP

i am a freedom loving, law abiding citizen
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lancaster County)

"If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission."

-- Grace Hopper, Rear Admiral, USN

(Juniata County)

There are no gun free /weapon free zones.
    The only question is how much effort & risk a person is willing to go to take a weapon into a prohibited zone.

Once a King asked *Will no one rid me of a turbulent priest.*

Three men killed the priest. Their names are known to history. They violated Church law, which wasn*t just some rule but had actual legal power, the laws of the kingdom, and eternal damnation.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast