Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Which Choke for home defense? Modified, full...?

I have a Mossberg 835 that I have for home defense. I usually have my turkey choke(Ulti Full) in it because It is my turkey gun. I was thinking about putting one of the other chokes in for home defense. Hopefully I'll never need to use it, but it's always good to be prepared. It would be for short distance(roughly 15 yards from my living room to my front door). Of the 4 following chokes, which would be best for this scenario?
    1-Full 730
    2-IMP Cylinder 765
    3-X Full 715
    4-Ulti Full Turkey

Which do you think would be best?

Although I've turkey hunted all my life, I am not familiar with the pros and cons of each choke. Can anyone one give me the 02 on each of the chokes mentioned and help me understand what they are best for?

Thanks, Isaac

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Which Choke for home defense? Modified, full...?

At 15 yards its not going to matter....... But Police shotguns usually have a cylinder bore.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    At 15 yards its not going to matter....... But Police shotguns usually have a cylinder bore.
    This, all of them will probably pattern about the size of a fist at close range. When I was relying on a shotgun in my home defense plan (having a toddler precludes leaving a tac'd out Mossy 500 in the closet loaded and ready to rock), I kept slugs in my side saddle just in case some sort of really hardened attacker came in. My HD shotgun is nicely accurate with rifled slugs out of its cylinder bore barrel. It also has rifle sights.

(Chester County)

For home defense purposes Modified or more open than Modified. Full is too tight for slugs and heavy 00 Buck loads.

Here's some info on Chokes that is accurate for the sizes but the editorial is a bit subjective, grain of salt rule applies. My Winchester 1300 is most accurate with the Remington Rifled slugs using the modified choke.
    Last edited by JenniferG; November 23rd, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Mercer County)

IMHO
    cylinder bore that way you can use 00 Buck and rifled slugs
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Allegheny County)

The 18" barrel as part of the Security & Field combo I got on my Mossberg 500 is cylinder bore with no option for a choke. Shooting buckshot you most certainly have to aim well.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Allegheny County)

Wow! From your front door to your living room is a clear shot of 45 feet? What shotgun load are you planning on using in your self defense plan? The choke you choose will depend on if you are going to use buck shot, slugs, exotic ammo, or plain old shot. As others mentioned the safe bet is cylinder bore for everything. As QuackXP stated, you'll need to aim to get hits on target. I recommend planning and practicing your response. I also recommend practicing at the range with your selected load so you can see first hand what it's going to do. I suggest putting (at minimum) 200 rounds down range in practice before wheeling your shotgun as a defensive weapon.
    Toujours pręt

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks! helpful info here!
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    For home defense purposes Modified or more open than Modified. Full is too tight for slugs and heavy 00 Buck loads.

Here's some info on Chokes that is accurate for the sizes but the editorial is a bit subjective, grain of salt rule applies. My Winchester 1300 is most accurate with the Remington Rifled slugs using the modified choke.

(Susquehanna County)

[QUOTE=Hawk;3175894]Wow from your front door to your living room is a clear shot of 45 feet? :cool I didn't measure it, but it's somewhere in that range.

What shotgun load are you planning on using in your self defense plan? I was thinking 00 Buckshot, but I haven't decided yet. I have 3.5 inch mags at the house that I plan to use until I find the ideal load. Too much recoil in that load, which is why I'm shopping around for ideas.

Thanks for the info! I will be shooting many rounds at the range once I find something less punishing than the 3.5 inch mags I have now.

(Chester County)

For what it's worth, the Mossberg 500 18.5" "security" barrel I bought for my Maverick 88 has a smooth cylinder bore which is "perfect for Buckshot, Birdshot and rifled slugs."

That being said, this guy made the following observations:

1) There is almost no difference in the size of the patterns regardless of choke size at home defense distances. Might it make a difference at longer distances? Sure. But I am studying loads for home defense, not deer hunting. And at these distances [10 yards], there is no real difference.
    2) Some folks said the Modified choke would have “better patterns”. I did not find this to be true.
    3) The main factor in group size seems to be the difference in the brands of ammunition. That means that if we want good patterns, there is no substitute for trying the different loads in your shotgun.
    4) Different shotguns marked with the same choke will often have variances in actual choke diameter. Not a big deal, but chokes are not extremely standardized.
    5) It’s fun to shoot stuff.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast