Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Hello From a new member

Hello all. Yet another transplant here from NYC, been here about 4 months now (Northampton County). Don't worry I'm not the stereotype, just a regular family man, looking for a better life for my kids and a little personal freedom not available in NYC and getting worse daily. I was brought up around guns by my father and friends. I've been shooting since I was 12. Amazing wealth of resources and knowledge you guys have here. Pennsylvania so far has been amazing.

So as I said I recently moved here and a month after I switched my drivers license I obtained mt LTCF. Any advice for a person very comfortable with guns but hasn't carried long? Basically I've read any internet articles I can find but want to ask you fine folks as I prefer a more real world perspective.

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Hello From a new member

Welcome to the 'hood! The best advice I can give is become very familiar with PA firearm laws. The good news is, unlike NY the laws are uniform across the Commonwealth, meaning cities, townships and/or counties cannot make up their own rules about where you can and cannot carry. The bad news is, many government officials and some LEOs are not aware of this and may try to convince you otherwise if you're seen carrying in a place someone doesn't think anyone without a badge should be carrying. You're obviously aware of many of the important laws already since you've gotten a LTCF, but there are some that can be confusing, if not misleading that you might even consider printing and carrying around for reference. There used to be a 'sticky' link to a gun law flyer members could print, but the link appears to be broken.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the reply. Oh I've been reading up on the laws and bookmarked that flyer on my phone just in case. I have a bunch of family in law enforcement so I'm usually pretty comfortable speaking with them. I'm sure I'll be asking about specific laws once I get a deeper understanding of the statutes. Thanks agin

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Oh I've been reading up on the laws and bookmarked that flyer on my phone just in case. I have a bunch of family in law enforcement so I'm usually pretty comfortable speaking with them. I'm sure I'll be asking about specific laws once I get a deeper understanding of the statutes. Thanks agin
    Unfortunately, LEOs are not the best source of legal advice. You will learn a lot here by reading old threads.

Welcome to the Commonwealth.

(Juniata County)

I would just shoot, and carry a spare mag / speed loader/strip.

If you conceal, no one, other perhaps another gun owner well ever notice. Most people fail to even notice open carry.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

^^^ What everybody else said.^^^

That, and here in PA, the left lane is the passing lane. Not the lane you putz along in and exit from. So, if you're not currently passing another vehicle, Move Ovah!

Welcome to the forum, and slightly freeer America.

Hello all. Yet another transplant here from NYC, been here about 4 months now (Northampton County). Don't worry I'm not the stereotype, just a regular family man, looking for a better life for my kids and a little personal freedom not available in NYC and getting worse daily. I was brought up around guns by my father and friends. I've been shooting since I was 12. Amazing wealth of resources and knowledge you guys have here. Pennsylvania so far has been amazing.

So as I said I recently moved here and a month after I switched my drivers license I obtained mt LTCF. Any advice for a person very comfortable with guns but hasn't carried long? Basically I've read any internet articles I can find but want to ask you fine folks as I prefer a more real world perspective.

Thanks in advance.
    FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP POSTING ON A GUN FORUM AND PLEASE SEEK AN ATTORNEY AND SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL HELP.
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Berks County)

Standard poofa welcome^^^^ forgot the dicks sporting goods admonishment. and please don't vote democrats in.

(Berks County)

Welcome and you made a good decision.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Indiana County)

So as I said I recently moved here and a month after I switched my drivers license I obtained mt LTCF.
    Don't forget to remind all the folks back in NYC that it only took you a month, and only cost twenty bucks, and you can carry statewide, etc., etc., etc. Rub it in good.

Welcome to Freedom.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast