Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: what really did happen at Greater Piit shooting range?

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    If that place is under new management due to his idiocy, I would still join that outdoor portion of club.
    Not sure what the management situation is there. The last time that I was at the range, Jason was there acting like he still ran the place and looking like a doofus: unshaven, cap on backwards, wearing a ratty looking untucked t-shirt.

The rangemaster seems to be on the ball, looking and acting professional. The rest of the staff not so much.

As much as I want to see the place succeed because it it convenient for me, I wonder if it will. They have very little inventory and the "salesmen" know little about what they do have in the display case.

(Allegheny County)

What I heard about the old GP GunClub is they should be open in a week or two for members and they are looking at sometime around June first for the general public.

The other is Full Auto's, shooting out of the holster, no limits on capacity, are all OK.

The big news is they plan on extending the 400 yard range out to 1,000 in the next 18-24 months.

The membership cost may be a little on the high side $250 yr, $21 a month for both indoor and outdoor ranges, but I feel it will keep most of the idiots away from the place.
    Last edited by ALS; March 24th, 2016 at 04:54 PM.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I joined Iron City Armory and have used the indoor range 8 or so times. Now with the outdoor range added with the membership price, it makes it even a better deal.

And yes, I am aware that someone(s) had an issue with the owner, I read what was posted; and made a decision for myself.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Allegheny County)

I believe I will make a decision as Orive8 has although I didn't read much of the thread because it was bothersome to read.

My opinion, which only means anything to me, is that the original poster may or may not have written the entire verbal exchange before Iron City Jason told him what he felt.

I also think quite a few of us jumped on the bandwagon based on his response without ever having talked to, dealt with and surely didn't know any more than what the original poster wrote. Was there any additional exchange? Did he get shitty with Jason or was all the bad exchange completely on Jason's side? You only know what was posted, and / or copied and pasted.
    I am a mild mannered reserved guy. I don't look for confrontation and shut my mouth and walk away from most irate people trying to get a rise out of me. That is, until the proverbial straw lands. Then I have told paying customers to fuck off, never call again and usually go on a rant that includes their mother, rest of their family, and lineage.
    I've lost work over it and was glad to lose that work. They, in turn, would never admit that what they said and how they said it was the reason I said what I did.

Everyone looks at every situation through their own eyes. Usually with no fault of their own.

Now, that's my opinion and you all know what i think of opinions.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Beaver County)

So I got a little lost here and have a few questions..

I've heard all the various stories about Tex and the old club. Is there any connection/relation between him and Iron City Armory?

Is this Iron City in Bridgeville the same people that own or used to own the small gun store at the corner of Vanadium and rt 50 by Eat N Park? I was there for an FFL transfer 2-3 year ago but that was my only dealings.

Is Jason the owner, or old owner?

Regardless of what's been said about the place I wouldn't mind checking out the facilities just to see, but belonging to several smaller clubs I cannot even begin to justify $300 a year for my wife and I.

(Allegheny County)

They moved down the street towards Bridgeville. They are on Mayer, back about a 1/4 mile. Mayer is across from Bob Evans between Great Southern and Chartiers Valley Shopping Centers.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Not sure what the management situation is there. The last time that I was at the range, Jason was there acting like he still ran the place and looking like a doofus: unshaven, cap on backwards, wearing a ratty looking untucked t-shirt.

The rangemaster seems to be on the ball, looking and acting professional. The rest of the staff not so much.

As much as I want to see the place succeed because it it convenient for me, I wonder if it will. They have very little inventory and the "salesmen" know little about what they do have in the display case.
    Here are my thoughts:

Their Website still lists him as the owner.

He's awaiting a preliminary hearing on at least one M1 charge (terroristic threats) which will make him prohibited if he pleads to them or is found guilty.

He's got some history of such things (that being an M2 rap which is just this side of prohibiting).

So, whether you like his customer service skills or not, it's probably not a bad idea to ask yourself how long they are going to be in business when/if his temporary prohibited status potentially converts to a permanent one and how long that might take and how likely you think it is?

I wouldn't know him from Adam in the street either. But I'm not into pouring my money down what sure as hell looks and talks like a rathole from the cheap seats.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

I hope the GPGC new ownership works out. I don't know anything about them, but GPGC was a good place to go once upon a time, and hopefully it can be that again, either under the new folks, or someone else.

That said, I just took a job in Michigan and just closed on a house here. We're renting our old house in Pittsburgh soon. Despite all of that, I'm keeping my membership at PMSC, because I should be back on a semi-regular basis, and I want the freedom to just show up there if I feel like it. It's a fantastic place, never ran into any jackholes there, and let me tell you, after taking a quick look at what's available in southeastern Michigan (and for what price,) I don't think I appreciated just how much bang for the buck I was getting there. Even if I don't go there again, it's money well spent to support that place, IMHO.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    So, whether you like his customer service skills or not, it's probably not a bad idea to ask yourself how long they are going to be in business when/if his temporary prohibited status potentially converts to a permanent one and how long that might take and how likely you think it is?
    Even if he isn't convicted this time around, it is probably only a matter of time before he does something else stupid and winds up getting prohibited.

(Allegheny County)

I called today and asked about the GPGC. I was told they have been working on the ranges. rebuilding berms etc....
    not open to the general public yet. I asked if i could go out and look around and was told no problem. I have only been to their shop once and everyone seemed polite. i'm not ready to discount the opportunity to find a long distance range in my area because of a few conflicts. they have a 400 yard range and they are supposedly going to get a 1000 yrd range up this summer. if you like to test your long distance shooting skills in the pittsburgh area this may be the only option. i am going to take a tour on monday and i will report. not cheap but either are my m14's, m1a's and garands. im tired of shooting at 100 and 200 yard ranges. I want to see what my babies can do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast