Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Obtaining Philadelphia LTC - what a nightmare

I am sure you all know how terrible is the process of obtaining an LTC in Philadelphia. Well, I only spent an hour in the office applying for it and the level of frustration is above high. Unfortunately, as I spent time waiting for my chance to be manhandled, the stories I heard from other folks in the waiting line did not offer any encouragement...I got there roughly 15 minutes before the office was open for business (8:30) and there were already 7 people there. Half of those folks were there to check on the status of the application. As the time went by more people showed up for the same reason - checking on status. From what I gathered, more than half of those guys and gals were already waiting for over the expected 45 days, some into 65+. Each time they showed up they were told - give it another week... Can't call the office as they deny to share info over the phone. Must be there in person, wait in the general line... This is AFTER the lawsuit that mandated for the city to issue or deny within 45 days. They also have that document posted on a wall in the office... but I suppose it means nothing to them. Some of the people already hired lawyers... just shows you how angry and desperate they feel.
    When it was my turn, I was greeted by a nice young lady in a booth#5, by a sunny window. I made a few comments on how lucky she is to have a bit of sun on her desk. She smiled back and made a few funny comments herself. Things started well, the ice was broken... However... first problem arrived immediately as she realized that i used to have LTC in Montgomery county - Sir, you are not renewing - you are applying for the first time... My argument that Montgomery county is still part of PA didn't fly... so i kept quiet as to not affect the rest of the process. Second issue - you are not showing any references and their phone numbers... I argued that according to the lawsuit resolution, you are no longer requiring them. The answer I got was - that doesn't matter, you should still put it down on application. You don't have to list them on the attachments.. I wanted to argue more but she immediately brought up a third issue - one of my forms of ID was an insurance declaration document showing that i purchased a car insurance, my address and other details about me... Sir - do you have an actual insurance card with you? No, that's in my car but the document you have is a piece of mail that verifying my address and shows that this insurance was purchased by me... Sir - i need a card or some other form of ID... I had none and was asked to come back... Everyone one in that room heard this exchange and as I was leaving the office gave me a friendly sad face and shook their heads in disbelief of what just happened. Others were scrambling to see if their documents were in order to what they just heard... I will be back tomorrow, but one never knows what else they may come up with. And then there is that 65 + day wait...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Obtaining Philadelphia LTC - what a nightmare

Hard to read without paragraphs. This looks better

Quote Originally Posted by mracer71 View Post
    I am sure you all know how terrible is the process of obtaining an LTC in Philadelphia. Well, I only spent an hour in the office applying for it and the level of frustration is above high.

Unfortunately, as I spent time waiting for my chance to be manhandled, the stories I heard from other folks in the waiting line did not offer any encouragement...I got there roughly 15 minutes before the office was open for business (8:30) and there were already 7 people there. Half of those folks were there to check on the status of the application. As the time went by more people showed up for the same reason - checking on status.

From what I gathered, more than half of those guys and gals were already waiting for over the expected 45 days, some into 65+. Each time they showed up they were told - give it another week... Can't call the office as they deny to share info over the phone. Must be there in person, wait in the general line... This is AFTER the lawsuit that mandated for the city to issue or deny within 45 days. They also have that document posted on a wall in the office... but I suppose it means nothing to them.

Some of the people already hired lawyers... just shows you how angry and desperate they feel.

When it was my turn, I was greeted by a nice young lady in a booth#5, by a sunny window. I made a few comments on how lucky she is to have a bit of sun on her desk. She smiled back and made a few funny comments herself.

Things started well, the ice was broken... However... first problem arrived immediately as she realized that i used to have LTC in Montgomery county - Sir, you are not renewing - you are applying for the first time...

My argument that Montgomery county is still part of PA didn't fly... so i kept quiet as to not affect the rest of the process. Second issue - you are not showing any references and their phone numbers... I argued that according to the lawsuit resolution, you are no longer requiring them. The answer I got was - that doesn't matter, you should still put it down on application. You don't have to list them on the attachments..

I wanted to argue more but she immediately brought up a third issue - one of my forms of ID was an insurance declaration document showing that i purchased a car insurance, my address and other details about me... Sir - do you have an actual insurance card with you? No, that's in my car but the document you have is a piece of mail that verifying my address and shows that this insurance was purchased by me... Sir - i need a card or some other form of ID... I had none and was asked to come back...

Everyone one in that room heard this exchange and as I was leaving the office gave me a friendly sad face and shook their heads in disbelief of what just happened. Others were scrambling to see if their documents were in order to what they just heard... I will be back tomorrow, but one never knows what else they may come up with. And then there is that 65 + day wait...

Welcome to New York, comrade.

It really saddens me to see the trends I'm seeing. PA was my beacon of hope, but my hopes of turning upstate NY into Northern PA appear to be occurring inversely.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Thank you, indeed - much easier to read!

(Philadelphia County)

Well, it looks like as long as you are outside of a big city in PA, you are golden. When i got my permit in Montgomery county 5 years ago, it was a great experience - i was in and out, got my permit right then and there. But then i move to Philly...

(Bucks County)

I dealt with the records and deeds dept in Philly 30 years ago as a service tech. I fix 2 out of 3 machines, but they still say they are all broke so they wont have to work. First time I ever saw anyone eat a muffin in two bites. City hall is a funny place!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Tioga County)

I've been through the Philly LTCF application twice. Other than the wait, it went pretty smooth. My last renewal was 06/2013. A woman I work with got hers, her first LTCF, pretty quickly earlier this year.

Sitting waiting for your turn is entertaining. All I can say is "reading is fundamental". What is so hard to understand about "bring a money order"?

The requirements are pretty clear: https://www.phillypolice.com/assets/...pplication.pdf
    MikeP

(Philadelphia County)

They are telling people (as of earlier this week) it will take 10 weeks: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=292896 and have a sign posted by the front desk that any app recieved will not be available for pick up until at least January 4th.

Five years ago, they just closed shop for other a month - resulting in my old LTCF expiring before I could pick it up (even though I had gone in for the renewal just under 60 days before expiration - as I did not know if they would accept the app if I did 60+ days).

I try to have all my ducks 100% in a row (USPS money order - as they will not take bank checks, passport photo of the exact right size, back-up alternatives of all proof of address, etc.), but assume that I have little shot at a 45 day legally required turn around. 60 - possibly. I plan to show up in person just before it expires (if I do not hear from the Gun Permit Unit before then), and if not renewed at that time, plan on personally contacting the court/judge who approved last year's settlement (see order:
    http://phillyltcfclassaction.com/documents.aspx ) and if need be taking further appropriate action.

(Indiana County)

And elsewhere in Pennsylvania, the same state that Philadelphia's in, in many cases you can be in and out in under an hour - with your license, whether new or renewed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Must not be a strong reader.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast