Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sig MPX owners...thoughts now?

IMO Sig has really blundered this firearm.

Originally marketed as being able to switch calibers and barrels easily, the Gen 1 guns are not able to do this and unless you follow the message boards and firearm blogs closely you would have been unaware of this. I was unaware of this when I bought mine, and the dealer even used the caliber conversion as a selling point (though none was needed as I planned only shooting 9).

Now, Sig is releasing the Gen2 MPX's and along with that comes a revelation that the magazines between the Gen 1 guns and Gen 2 guns may not be compatible which leaves the Gen 1 MPX owners wondering if we will in the future be able to get more mags at a reasonable cost for our weapons.

Not only that, but there is the question of replacement barrels for the Gen 1 guns.

Seriously considering dumping my MPX now and waiting a year or two for all this to finish playing out.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Sig MPX owners...thoughts now?

Never buy the newest, greatest, that comes out. That goes for everything, just ask Apple.

(Lackawanna County)

Got any links to this or just speculation from message boards? Sig doesn't make the mags lancer does. I highly doubt they want to tool up new mags in order to support whatever change they are making. Not only that but I've seen no reason to change the mags or the gun. It runs flawless without s hiccup with any ammo. I also don't see why you can't change barrels. They come apart easily enough. It may not be quick by some standards but it's quick enough. If they made these changes it would be a huge miss for sig and id like to think they aren't that stupid.

(Lackawanna County)

I found what you were talking about. I have no intention of shooting anything but 9mm out of mine so I don't see anything to worry about. I think they'll end up selling the two mags. 9mm and multi caliber mags. That looks like the difference. The changes they mention look like it was more about making it more capable of handling the rowdier 40 and 357 sig rounds. Mine is also pending s form1 so I'll be keeping it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Never buy the newest, greatest, that comes out. That goes for everything, just ask Apple.
    Earlier this year everyone was all, "ohh MPX, ahh Scorpion EVO." and I bought an MP5 SBR to fill the pistol caliber carbine hole in my soul.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Damn. I was actually very close to getting an MPX until I decided to build my own AR-9 variant. What Sig should do is offer a trade-in program. Trade in your ver.1 for a credit toward a ver.2 MPX.

(Tioga County)

I believe the whole caliber conversion thing pushed out there these days is overblown. Who really has all these barrels and change over kits for whatever gun it might be? In countries like Germany or Norway, it might make sense where people are limited in the number of guns they can own and they can change out calibers but here it doesn't.

Especially in the AR world people talk about switching in and out all these uppers. With lower receivers so cheap what's the point?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Especially in the AR world people talk about switching in and out all these uppers. With lower receivers so cheap what's the point?
    I reply to this with ZERO personal experience: Uppers are 'accessories', lowers are something .gov knows about.

Though a bunch of 80% lowers and a Ghost milling machine could take care of that...

(Lackawanna County)

I got my hands on an evo and I'm not disappointed by my choice in mpx. I was really looking at a qc10 ar build or an mp5 clone but didn't care for both of them once I started looking into it. All in all happy with the mpx. It was exactly what I wanted and unless they do 10mm conversion barrels in not worried about swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    I found what you were talking about. I have no intention of shooting anything but 9mm out of mine so I don't see anything to worry about. I think they'll end up selling the two mags. 9mm and multi caliber mags. That looks like the difference. The changes they mention look like it was more about making it more capable of handling the rowdier 40 and 357 sig rounds. Mine is also pending s form1 so I'll be keeping it.
    Problem is that it is not clear that they (ok Lancer) will continue to make Gen 1 mags and there is still some murkiness concerning the compatibility of Gen2 mags in a Gen1 upper...and honestly from a business standpoint why should they continue to offer items for something that is discontinued?

Same thing with the barrel..They have explicitly stated that no replacement barrels will be offered for the Gen 1. What do you do when your current barrel is shot out?

As for the whole early adopter thing, the MPX was introduced at the 2013 Shot show, its not 2015 which should be plenty of time to iron out the kinks, and furthermore one does not know they are buying a Gen1 item until the Gen2 version is released/announced.

Seriously, SIG screwed the pooch on this one.

ETA: as for the whole "waiting" part also, I am not getting any younger, and my free time is not increasing so I generally want my toys now while I am able to enjoy them
    Last edited by glocke12; November 19th, 2015 at 06:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast