Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default .22LR suppressor suggestions

I know there are older threads on the subject, but with new and updated products always hitting the market, decided I would post up to see what everyone would recommend.

Looking for something dual use on a Mosquito and a couple 10/22s.

(Centre County)

Default Re: .22LR suppressor suggestions

I live by the idea that you might have to spend money up front to get a quality product that will give you years of service and do what you want it do instead of having to spend money twice to buy 2 products since you skimped the first time.

For 22LR I personally went with a SWR Spectre. It sounds good to me, it can be placed on either rifle or handgun. The tube is steel and it is able to be disassembled to be cleaned easily. The downside is the inital price and to a degree the weight (though this is a trade off in my book).

I find it also important to note that SWR is known for being extremely good in the customer service department!

I'm sure others with chime in.
    cheers,
    josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Washington County)

I have a TAC-65 from Tactical Ordnance and I'm very happy with it. All aluminum so it weighs about 4 oz. Comes apart for cleaning, not that I've ever cleaned it. I haven't done the pepsi challenge with other cans side by side, but it does what I expect it to. here's a vid of it on my AR-15 with the .22 conversion shooting supersonic and subsonic rounds. with subsonic ammo, you can hear the rounds whistle downrange and hit the backstop 100 yds away.

www.bloomautomatic.com/tac65.wmv

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bloomautomatic View Post
    I have a TAC-65 from Tactical Innovations and I'm very happy with it. All aluminum so it weighs about 4 oz. Comes apart for cleaning, not that I've ever cleaned it. I haven't done the pepsi challenge with other cans side by side, but it does what I expect it to. here's a vid of it on my AR-15 with the .22 conversion shooting supersonic and subsonic rounds. with subsonic ammo, you can hear the rounds whistle downrange and hit the backstop 100 yds away.

www.bloomautomatic.com/tac65.wmv

Vince
    Fixed it for you.

For the price point the TAC65 is hard to beat.

The Spectre is fantastic on a pistol

check out http://www.silencerresearch.com/2007...r_shootout.htm
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Berks County)

I got the AAC Pilot. Super cheap. Same price as the stamp. Very light and small. You can't even feel it adding weight to a pistol and it is so small it doesn't add much length to my 10/22. Very quiet.

The downside is it is aluminum so it is not as beefy as some others and it can't be taken apart for cleaning.

It all depends on how you want to use one. Do some reading online and learn all you can about what is on the market before buying so you are sure you get the right one for you.

(York County)

You may want to look at the YHM Mite. The aluminum model can be had for around $200 and it is a take apart can if you need to clean it
    "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtdew View Post
    great link!

So, would I be fair base my purchase on numbers alone? Anything wrong with building sort of matrix based off what's important and not important to me? Ie, sound reduction between rifle and pistol equally important, followed by, but not as important, price, etc, etc...

(Montgomery County)

Okay, i'll chime in.

I own 2 .22 cans a gemtech outback II and a TI Tac-65. The outback is a little more quiet--but the tac-65 can be taken apart for cleaning. The outback is liter than the tac-65. The outback is smaller than the tac-65. The outback costs more than the tac-65. Of the 2, if your primary use is a pistol go with the outback--if your primary use is a rifle the tac-65 would be fine. If you want to mix and match, i like the outback better. My tac-65 is dedicated to my 5" barreled .22 ar-15. My outback moves between my p-22 and ruger 10/22's. Neither of these cans is louder than a pellet gun. Sometimes when shooting the longer barrel 10/22 a few of the rounds go supersonic and you hear the sonic crack.

I honestly don't think that any big name can maker could build a "bad" .22 can. I think you just need to find a dealer---see what he stocks and pick one.

I also wanted to add that "take apart" cans aren't that important when just plinking on a semi auto gun. To me, a take apart can is more important if you are going to be shooting full auto. Most can builders will take their sealed cans back to clean should you actually shoot enough ammo through it to make it louder.

Good luck

i bought a williams mfg. .22 can (alum/stnls) on gunbroker about four years ago fo 54.00 brand new. its the quietest can i've ever heard for that price. but im getting baffle strikes, other than that its very quiet. williams is out of business. other than that, i would also like to purchase another .22 can but dont know exactly which is the better one. p.s. dont mean to hijack this thread.
    Last edited by bogey1; August 4th, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

(Montgomery County)

BIA, also wanted to add that if you are coming to the eastern pa shoot this saturday, i will more than likely have both cans at the shoot. You can look at them and hear them in person if you can make it. here is the link to the shoot info http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...-pa-shoot.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast