Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Hello new member

Hello pafoa, I just joined a short time ago, and just moved to Whitehall Pa from Ny a few days ago. Hope tonslend some time on the forum and contributing where I can. Since I'm new here, can anyone give me specifics on the following: how hard is it to get a permit in Lehigh county, does the permit have to be in the county of residence or can I apply in the county in which I work, and can I bring my guns down now or should I wait until I have a pa drivers license rather than Ny? Also, what's a good range in this area, preferably with rifle pistol and skeet…Google hasn't been too helpful. Any other thoughts comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Please excuse typos, I'm not used to this iPhone.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Hello new member

The hoard will be along shortly to answer your questions. Meantime, welcome to PA and one of our requirements for residence is you must vote Republican.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arv View Post
    Hello pafoa, I just joined a short time ago, and just moved to Whitehall Pa from Ny a few days ago. Hope tonslend some time on the forum and contributing where I can. Since I'm new here, can anyone give me specifics on the following: how hard is it to get a permit in Lehigh county, does the permit have to be in the county of residence or can I apply in the county in which I work, and can I bring my guns down now or should I wait until I have a pa drivers license rather than Ny? Also, what's a good range in this area, preferably with rifle pistol and skeet…Google hasn't been too helpful. Any other thoughts comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Please excuse typos, I'm not used to this iPhone.
    I'm not in your county I can tell you you must apply for your LTCF in your county at the sheriff's office. You will need your PA drivers License and two references, Almost forgot Bring a $20 bill. Bring your guns down now. No worries there. No registration. However they must be unloaded and ammo stored in a separate compartment or box. Mags can be loaded or not but again can't be stored with your guns. If you have pistols you need to go directly to your new home. It will take some time for you to get a grasp of PA law. You don't need a license to own but you do need a license to carry a pistol concealed. You can open carry but you can't get in a car with it until you get your License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) You can take it directly to the range and directly home, again it must be unloaded and ammo separate. Once you have your LTCF you can pack your pistol anyway you want to. Long guns cannot be carried loaded in a vehicle at any time any where even with a LTCF. At the top of this frum you will find stickies. read them both open and concealed carry forums. Your going to find things very different hear in PA. we don't have anything like NY cursed safe act. Evil Black rifles are just fine here. No mag limits or that such nonsense. PA uses an instacheck system called PICS. sorta like NICS. Go in the store pick out the gun you want pay the dealer fill out the 4473 if a pistol there is a second form. walkout the door with your new toy.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Lehigh County)

I was from mass originally then moved to NY. The laws here sound very much like those in NH. I did read Lehigh county costs more, $38 if I remember correctly. I also read and heard when on their recording when I called that I need 2 or 3 reffrences that live in Lehigh county…I know no one here yet. That's what screwed me in NY, Orange County needed 3 reffrences that had known me for 3 years that lived in the county. I didn't love there for 3 years. Transporting the collection is going to be quite the task.

(Montgomery County)

I was from mass originally then moved to NY. The laws here sound very much like those in NH. I did read Lehigh county costs more, $38 if I remember correctly. I also read and heard when on their recording when I called that I need 2 or 3 reffrences that live in Lehigh county…I know no one here yet. That's what screwed me in NY, Orange County needed 3 reffrences that had known me for 3 years that lived in the county. I didn't love there for 3 years. Transporting the collection is going to be quite the task.

It's $20. Atleast it should be and is mostly everywhere in PA. You only need 2 references that are not immediate family. They don't have to reside within the state.

Rent a U-Haul to bring your guns in. It's only what, $30 for the day and a tank of gas?

(Lehigh County)

I do need a pa drivers license to apply for the permit, correct?

(Wayne County)

Welcome ARV, yeah get your Pa. license and by all means get your guns out of NY. Were you upstate or down?

(Montgomery County)

I do need a pa drivers license to apply for the permit, correct?
    Correct. Welcome to PA and best wishes.

(Wayne County)

Welcome to PA from another NY transplant.

(Indiana County)

First, before anyone here jumps down your throat for calling it a permit, it's a License to Carry Firearms, also known as an LTCF. Yes, I know "permit" is technically acceptable, but some one this board get a little picky.

Do you need a Pa. driver's license to apply? Legally, no, but it would make life so much easier - it shows you're a bona fide Pennsylvania resident. For your Pa. driver's license, all you need to do within 15 days of moving here, is show up at your local PennDOT Driver's License Center (we don't have any "DMV" here) with your old license, some sort of proof of where your new residence is, and about $36 (at least that's what I remember the rules as). You'll have to get your vehicle plates changed, too, but that has to be done elsewhere.

For your LTCF, you need to visit the sheriff's office for the county you now live in. Can't be the county in which you work, if different. They may have a one-page application on their web site that you can fill out and then print out before going to their office. Nope, no fingerprints, blood sample, psych evaluation, letters of recommendation or any of that crap. Oh, and twenty bucks. The max it can take is 45 days from application, but in some cases you can be in and out in an hour or less (some report fifteen minutes, depending on the office).

Unlike where you're coming from, don't try to "register" your firearms (handguns, rifles, shotguns, whatever). Don't try it because it can't be done. It's illegal. No firearms registries here.

Once you pick up your new Pa. driver's license, you can go straight to the sheriff's office and submit your LTCF application. There are no waiting periods.

You'll find it a whole bunch different here than in New York, in more ways than one. Welcome to Pennsylvania.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast