Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: SCOTIA RANGE IS OPEN!!!! SGL176

It never hurts to ask. Maybe if they see that it's an actual target intended for shooting, rather than some college kids old laptop, they won't mind so much.

As for a shoot, I'd like to try and get out there on Sunday, August 17 perhaps?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question. How do they feel about you shooting at things other than just paper targets at Scotia? I'm not talking about bringing in like old tvs and shit to leave pieces everywhere, but I want something a little more fulfilling to shoot at that just paper.

I was looking at something like this:
    http://www.americantargets.com/product/SS6038

These are made for shooting at, so I would think it's something I can use. Anyone know anything about that?

Has anyone ever used one of these? I've never shot at one either, so any info on that would be great too.

Guy told me last year swinging target are no-no.
    paper target only
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
    I browse the forum pretty frequently lately so if anyone tries to get something together I'd be interested. I don't know anywhere to shoot in the area but Scotia(and thank god it's finally open! I hated having my new pistol and nowhere to fire the damn thing.
    I was in the same boat.
    I bought my m&p9 and had to wait weeks before I could use it.

I've been out to Scotia many times since it opened but sadly I am a horrible shot. I have no consistent groupings, I just put holes all over the paper.

I am waiting for a basic pistol course to be held near State College so that I may learn a thing or two- in the meantime I am just dillydallying around with no good grip and an uncomfortable stance...

o well, its a good thing ammo is cheap so that I don't need to worry about wasting shots while practicing... ... ... ... oh, wait... no it isn't... :-(

EDIT: And while I'm here, I will verify that swinging targets are not permitted. You MUST use the provided backstops with paper targets, but you may bring your own paper targets, you don't need ot use theirs.
    Last edited by Asterix909; August 14th, 2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Additional text

(Centre County)

Asterix,
    I'm going to PM you in a moment but to all others I think I'll be going out there either the 30th or 31st (it's the first free weekend I've had in a while) to do some shooting. If others want to join me we can settle on a day. I'll be there when it opens.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Asterix,
    I'm going to PM you in a moment but to all others I think I'll be going out there either the 30th or 31st (it's the first free weekend I've had in a while) to do some shooting. If others want to join me we can settle on a day. I'll be there when it opens.
    Wait. whats this? how did I miss this?

(Centre County)

I'll do my best to be there when you are there. I don't need much fore-warning, my weekends are blissfully open (usually).

Now that I have gotten relatively familiar and comfortable with shooting in general, I feel it would be appropriate to get relatively familiar and comfortable with shooting well.

At this point I am pretty sure I am just sending lead down range rather than refining my skills. I am pretty sure almost any decently experienced shooter could be of help to me (and your pm made it very clear that you fit the bill)... you should see my grip, its magical! It looks different everytime I shoot! Oh wait- thats because it is different...

I am pretty sure I know the basics of my problems-
    1. I do not have a consistent, comfortable grip.
    2. My stance becomes very uncomfortable quickly, causing a bit of back strain- but I feel like I have the most stability when I enter the stance initially...
    3. My trigger pull is piss poor- I anticipate the shot. Even dry firing I sometimes jerk the entire gun.
    4. etc...

So in other words, I am pretty much bad at everything.
    Well, thats not true, I am pretty safe and I can at least put *most* rounds on the paper...

(Centre County)

I'm going shooting today. Probably around 10:00 or so. I'd like to hit the rifle range to do some drills with the bolt gun for an upcoming match and confirm the zero on my AR. Might take the 1911 too.

If anybody is around and you see a red tacoma, stop over and say hi.

It's been awefully qwuiet awound here wately.

...sound of crickets....

(Centre County)

i'm going out there today, but not prolly until afternoon...
    Us Vampires need some sleep...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    I'm going shooting today. Probably around 10:00 or so. I'd like to hit the rifle range to do some drills with the bolt gun for an upcoming match and confirm the zero on my AR. Might take the 1911 too.

If anybody is around and you see a red tacoma, stop over and say hi.

It's been awefully qwuiet awound here wately.

...sound of crickets....
    HEY! That was you I was shooting next to! I was shooting next to you on the smaller range with the Ruger 77VT. Pretty sweet bolt gun from what I saw. I spent some time in the USMC as an 8541 in the 90s. Wish I would have known. Had the Wesson 1911 with me too. Good to sort of meet you.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBackstrap View Post
    HEY! That was you I was shooting next to! I was shooting next to you on the smaller range with the Ruger 77VT. Pretty sweet bolt gun from what I saw. I spent some time in the USMC as an 8541 in the 90s. Wish I would have known. Had the Wesson 1911 with me too. Good to sort of meet you.
    Hey! Yeah, that was me.

I probably should have said Hi but normally when I go to the range I just shoot and try not bug people too much. Otherwise I end up doing more BSing than shooting.

8541 huh? I should have handed you the bolt gun. It's a custom rem 700 built by GA Precision. I had intended to go to the range to confirm my zero, then just work the bolt a bit on those shoot n see targets. 100 yards isn't far but practice is practice. That Ruger is pretty sweet.

If your interested there's a rifle match held nearby you might like. They just had one August 2 and 3. Check out the last page in my thread "any long range shooters". If you are interested let me know.

Never did shoot the 1911 yesterday but I did get my carbine zeroed. Wife had a list of chores for me.

Take it easy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast