Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First reaction when OCing.

So I don't OC often and when I do it is usually for a brief errand. I went into my local gas station yesterday to pay for Fuel (pumps weren't taking cards). I had my Sig in my ALS holster and a spare mag on my other hip. The clerk said nothing about the firearm but you could tell that he was very uncomfortable. The manager came out said hi to me asked how work was going I finished my transaction and went about my business. I have to say this is the first noticeable reaction I have had while OCing.

Default Re: First reaction when OCing.

Ha, maybe they have a panic button that connects to the manager's office.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

That's interesting. I rarely notice nervousness but curiosity if they seem to notice at all

(Monroe County)

I agree , no nervous Nellie's. Just curious or some disbelief from out of staters. How is Lancaster for OC, meaning LEO?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    So I don't OC often and when I do it is usually for a brief errand. I went into my local gas station yesterday to pay for Fuel (pumps weren't taking cards). I had my Sig in my ALS holster and a spare mag on my other hip. The clerk said nothing about the firearm but you could tell that he was very uncomfortable. The manager came out said hi to me asked how work was going I finished my transaction and went about my business. I have to say this is the first noticeable reaction I have had while OCing.
    I know you are probably not going to like this, but it is quite possible you imagined it. People are usually a little neurotic about others noticing when they start carrying concealed, and more so when they start carrying open. There are a lot of coincidences in life when you go around paranoid. If you told the same story, and there was no gun involved, it would not seem like an odd story at all. It would seem like an everyday story. Even if they did notice, it's possible none of the rest of the story was of consequence. Or, he might have been more worried that you were going to shout "Every heard of the Constitution motherfucker!" than he was about your gun.

There have been about 10 times I was in a store and a cop pulled up right outside the front of the store in the fire lane, not in a parking place. I thought for sure somebody called the police on me and I was going to have to deal with some idiot (never happened). About five of those times I saw the cop dealing with store personal about a matter that obviously had nothing to do with me. The other five, who knows, but my money is on nothing to do with me since that is the information I have from available examples and nobody ever confronted me.

Or, maybe your gun made him nervous. It has to happen now and then. I know mine made some black people nervous a couple times. I know that because they brought it up.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I know you are probably not going to like this, but it is quite possible you imagined it. People are usually a little neurotic about others noticing when they start carrying concealed, and more so when they start carrying open. There are a lot of coincidences in life when you go around paranoid.
    How you carry yourself (i.e., how you act) does have a bearing on the matter. If you're behaving like "it's no big deal" then others will observe this and react accordingly. The more times you carry, the more comfortable you'll eventually feel while carrying. If you look cool, calm and collected, so will others. If you look a little bit skitterish, others will notice.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    I agree , no nervous Nellie's. Just curious or some disbelief from out of staters. How is Lancaster for OC, meaning LEO?
    It's been about five years of open carry everyday, not a problem. Some cops notice ( obvious glance to my carry) others seem oblivious. Never as much as a question asked.
    I've been at the gas pump or in line getting coffee with one or more behind/in front of me. Just recently a few were talking just outside a pizza place in Cambelltown and one opened the door for me. Dauphin county I think.
    I also thought it was funny, there was a police officer in his suv parked off to the side of a Turkey Hill. He seemed to be watching traffic etc. I went in and he was looking my way. I got my coffee and came out he was gone. So he mustn't have been worried of nefarious intent of an oc'er.
    Work takes me into a lot of neighboring counties and the non reactions are the same.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    How you carry yourself (i.e., how you act) does have a bearing on the matter. If you're behaving like "it's no big deal" then others will observe this and react accordingly. The more times you carry, the more comfortable you'll eventually feel while carrying. If you look cool, calm and collected, so will others. If you look a little bit skitterish, others will notice.
    I believe this is true as well. It also seems pretty clear to me from these years of experience on this forum that age (first) and skin color (second) also come into play to some extent. Age far more than skin color, but both nonetheless.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

edit: damnit... wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I believe this is true as well. It also seems pretty clear to me from these years of experience on this forum that age (first) and skin color (second) also come into play to some extent. Age far more than skin color, but both nonetheless.
    Skin color probably not so much a factor...how you dress and carry yourself, moreso.

Right way:

WRONG way:

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast