Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default There's lots of black squirrels in Wayne Co. are there any in your neck of the woods?

They are almost as common as grey squirrels where I live. It wasn't always like this. When I was a kid seeing them was uncommon. When I was a teenager there was a small population of them on a stretch of Delaware State Forest that was near my house. Now it seems like they are every where. I guess it is a genetic trait that is becoming more common. I remember my dad found a road kill black squirrel about 20 years ago and was going to have it mounted because they were so rare back then. Now you can find dozens of them running around my neighborhood. I seen one while hunting Saturday but I wasn't going to wast an arrow on a squirrel even if it is a black one. Is this trend happening all over Pa?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: There's lots of black squirrels in Wayne Co. are there any in your neck of the wo

That's what happens. The black squirrels move into an area and chase all the red and grey squirrels out. Next thing you know the chew rate goes through the roof.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: There's lots of black squirrels in Wayne Co. are there any in your neck of the wo

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    That's what happens. The black squirrels move into an area and chase all the red and grey squirrels out. Next thing you know the chew rate goes through the roof.
    LOL, no comment.

To the OP, I have noticed more Black phase squirrels in the suburban areas than I have seen in the woods while hunting. I think they tend to occur more frequently where there is a high population density and less hunting pressure.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    ...but real estate values (in the woods) will plummet.

(Luzerne County)

I wonder if it is racist to only hunt the black squirrels???? But to answer the OP's question, I have only ever seen one and it was in my church parking lot about 2 years ago.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    LOL, no comment.

To the OP, I have noticed more Black phase squirrels in the suburban areas than I have seen in the woods while hunting. I think they tend to occur more frequently where there is a high population density and less hunting pressure.
    I don't small game hunt anymore but see a tremendous amount of squirrels behind my house. The only hunting pressure is from red tailed hawks and cats.
    I have only seen a single black squirrel ever and not around here.

I have greys, both grey and what we call fox squirrels which I think are brown greys and a bit bigger.
    The smaller red tree squirrels chatter at me while I archery hunt.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

All jokes aside I just read that they were more common when European settlers first arrived in North America. I guess their black coloration made for better camo when dark, shady, old growth forests were abundant. Grey squirrels became more common as old growth forests were destroyed. We get the mixed ones around here too. They look brownish in color. I think its fascinating. I wonder what is causing the increase in black squirrels around here. I can't say that we have any old growth forests in my area but there isn't any large scale logging operations any more so maybe as this areas forests are allowed to age the black squirrels become more common. I wonder if there has been any studies done on the matter.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed View Post
    I wonder if it is racist to only hunt the black squirrels???? But to answer the OP's question, I have only ever seen one and it was in my church parking lot about 2 years ago.
    They were wearing "Black Squirrels Matter" hoodies?
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Bucks County)

There are a ton in Princeton. I think it is just a matter of a recessive gene "taking hold" in closed populations.

I do want to have one each of a black, grey and red squirrel mounted, someday, for mancave decorations

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    There are a ton in Princeton. I think it is just a matter of a recessive gene "taking hold" in closed populations.
    I saw black squirrels in Princeton for years but this summer there was on in my neighborhood in Bucks county (20 miles from Princeton and about 2 miles from Newtown where you live).

I went to Toronto this summer and MOST of the squirrels there were Black.

Never saw one while hunting but I was thinking about getting a regular one and a bottle of Just for Men haircolor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast