Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to Shoot a Super Blackhawk

I just got a Super Blackhawk with the intention of hunting whitetail with it. I not have a couple of questions on how to shoot it. Primarily, how to grip it.

Normally, I like to hold pistols with the shooting hand as high up on the grip as possible. How high I grip the blackhawk is limited by the hammer spur. My hand barely fits on the grip - the pinky is at the very bottom of the grip almost rolling under it. My right thumb rolls around and rests on top of the middle finger. The left hand wraps around the right hand and the left thumb rests right ontop the right thumb. Overall, it feels as if the grip is just a little too small. However, when I fire the gun, the grip rotates in my hand (as compared to recoiling strait back into the hand) absorbing allot of the recoil in the process. This I like!

So the question: I don't think that I have a consistent grip, or that I am gripping the gun such that it can recoil consistently. Shooting off of a well rested position (kneeling, with pistol resting on 2x4 rail), I get 3 out of 5 shots where they need to be, but there are 2 fliers. Not just a little outside the the 3 good shots, but REAL fliers. I am relatively sure that these are not caused by flinch or a trigger yank, but are related to an inconsistent grip/recoil. BTW, there is a pad on the 2x4 to make sure that the butt of the gun does not bounce on the 2x4.

Looking for advice on getting 5 out of 5. Or, is this simply a matter of throwing a couple of hundred rounds downrange.

(Berks County)

Default Re: How to Shoot a Super Blackhawk

No, you got it right. Then you put your thumb on the spurr and rotate the gun back to firing position. One handed design. See John Wane. SAA was made long before modern pistole craft.

(Berks County)

Mark your flyers on the cylinder.

(Lycoming County)

If nothing else works, try these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Rubber-R.../dp/B000KORDUG

Made a big difference for me in accuracy with the Super Blackhawk.