Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1911 help-small concern

And maybe it's me... but what sort of extractor tension should the pistol have. The extractor shakes around with no round in it like while I'm cleaning it but it holds the empty case firm like it should. I'm asking cause the ejection is erratic from 6 o'clock to 1 o'clock yes in front of me. I do think the recoil spring is soft cause it slings the cases but then a few rounds barely go 3 ft away.
    I have a used SA loaded. I replaced the full length guide rod and plug with factory GI stuff from SA. It did it before and after.
    Even though it's a used gun I don't think it was ever fired before I bought it. There was no wear and it was tight. I may have 400-500 rounds down range.
    I was just using it as a range gun but I received my VigiTac holster today and would like to carry it from time to time

(Pike County)

Default Re: 1911 help-small concern

What spring weight are you using? They are cheap enough you can try a few. 16 lbs is a good place to start.

(Bucks County)

I use the 18.5 pound variable spring from Wolff when repairing or adjusting 1911 pistols- unless the owner asks for something different. The 18.5 V has a broad range of function. In most well running 1911s it will give good service from factory 185gn match loads to military specification 230gn ball.

The extractor issue could be as easy as adjusting the bend- a general rule of thumb is a loaded cartridge hanging on the extractor should point downward at around 5 degrees relative to the breech face. The slide needs to be OFF the frame for that check.

It might pay to buy a new, quality made extractor (modern Colt extractors are of excellent quality) and have it fitted to the gun. If you have it fitted, bring it to someone that knows 1911 pistols as there are multiple steps and checks involved in the fit- it's not just a simple bend.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Quacked View Post
    What spring weight are you using? They are cheap enough you can try a few. 16 lbs is a good place to start.
    I'm not sure it's a factory gun. I believe the factory weight is 16lbs.
    Recoil is fine it just seems to be tossing them FAR. But oddly there is a few that almost dribble out...

(Lehigh County)

Read and heed cdi's device. He is an actual gunsmith and knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Redline View Post
    Read and heed cdi's device. He is an actual gunsmith and knows what he is talking about.
    While I don't doubt that I did read up on the variable springs and they seem to be fit for lighter loads and compensated guns not as much for factory guns. And if SA thought them to be better they would have put it there from the start.

(Mercer County)

Where and how strongly does it eject?

Take the slide off, and slide a cartridge up under the extractor, lined up in the firing position. It shouldn't fall out, but it shouldn't be so tight that you can't shake it out.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Berks County)

Extractor should not rattle. It cant be consistent if it rattles around no matter the tension it exerts.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Where and how strongly does it eject?

Take the slide off, and slide a cartridge up under the extractor, lined up in the firing position. It shouldn't fall out, but it shouldn't be so tight that you can't shake it out.
    I this with an empty case or an actual round

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Extractor should not rattle. It cant be consistent if it rattles around no matter the tension it exerts.
    Agreed. And these are the things that have kept me away from the 1911 platform, it is just a range gun but I would like to carry it. It hasn't failed me but I would like a bit more consistent patterns from the gun, there are just a few minor things that have kept me from even considering carrying this gun cause I don't trust it yet.
    I had 1 FTFEED prior to adjusting the extractor the first time, since then it's been perfect but it's only been 200-250 rnds and no SD ammo as of yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast