Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Schuetzen Rifle questions.

Any one know anything about Schuetzen rifles? A friend at work asked me to help identify a rifle his grandfather left him years ago. He's not much of a "gun guy" and knows almost nothing about it. I kinda new what it was, but I don't know very much about these rifles myself.

From my research on it. It appears to be German Manufacture (from the marks) and made around November of 1925 (proof date on barrel). It's built on a Martini Henry action with a 29 1/2" octagonal barrel. I can't find a makers mark, but it has some markings I'm not sure of.

Some odd things
    It appears to have been sleeved at some point and is currently chambered in a .22 rimfire. My guess is that was done by someone in the states, but I don't see where it is marked for the original caliber. Most were in 8.15x41 I believe and marked as such. This one doesn't have a caliber marking like I have seen on others in researching this.

I figure someone on here has to know more about these than I do, so any help at all would be much appreciated. I'm gonna include some pics, if there's anything else that can help I can take more.

Here's the action.

Crown, after cleaning you can clearly see the barrel sleeve.

Here's the markings I've used to find out what little I know so far.

Not sure what this proof mark means. I can't find any reference to it.

That's what I've found so far. I haven't disassembled the action or anything. The proof marks I found under the foregrip. There are no visible marks on the barrel and just some engraving on the reciever. This gun is extremely dirty. I might try and clean it up and look closer for marks, but I'm concerned about going to far and taking finish off. It hung over a bar for 40+ years and has cigarette residue so thick on it you can scrape it off and see the depth. The bore looks surprising good and everything on it appears to be in working order.

Thanks again anyone who knows about these.

(York County)

Default Re: Schuetzen Rifle questions.

That Schuetzen looks like it was one of the many hand built "Martini based" actions so popular with German/Swiss shooters from the late 19th century thru WW 2 era. Many of these guns were blackpowder era. Quite a few came home in duffel bags after WW2.

From the markings the 7,7 may mean it was originally in 7.7 mm (about .311 caliber). Anyway the gun may have been converted to .22LR simply because the ammo was completely obsolete.

There is a German Rifle Society and are Schuetzen rifle groups out there as well. Google the phrases and see what pops up, then try to contact them.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    That Schuetzen looks like it was one of the many hand built "Martini based" actions so popular with German/Swiss shooters from the late 19th century thru WW 2 era. Many of these guns were blackpowder era. Quite a few came home in duffel bags after WW2.

From the markings the 7,7 may mean it was originally in 7.7 mm (about .311 caliber). Anyway the gun may have been converted to .22LR simply because the ammo was completely obsolete.

There is a German Rifle Society and are Schuetzen rifle groups out there as well. Google the phrases and see what pops up, then try to contact them.
    Wow, I just realized that the caliber was there all along. Now that I see the mark in the pic I see it says 7,7. That was a popular round for these back in there day. I think you're right about why it was converted. From some further Google foo, it seems it was probably converted here in the states. If it was done in Germany it would have another proof mark. I'm starting to think I'm not ever going to find the manufacturer. Pity it was sleeved, as that's going to reduce the value. These bring pretty good money if they're left alone.

Thanks for the input. Reading all the stuff I'm finding on schuetzen competitions is really quite interesting. I'd recommend anyone who is into shooting check it out. Pretty impressive stuff these guys did/do.

(Potter County)

Ask over at the single shot rifle board,someone there should be able to give you more info on your rifle.
    http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32-20 View Post
    Ask over at the single shot rifle board,someone there should be able to give you more info on your rifle.
    http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
    Thanks, I saw that site while Googling info. I'll have to setup an account this weekend.

(Somerset County)

Check out the 24 Hour Campfire forums. I know there is a single shot one and I'm pretty sure there is a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle (BPCR) section too.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/

Dale