Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Best bang for the buck 5.56 can

Obviously I can search google until I turn blue. But fact is I trust the opinions of the PAFOA board than anywhere else. I finally have decided to go the suppressed route. I know the big names in the game, but I also see there are quite a few lesser known names out there, and with that comes substantial savings as well. Are these things worth it? I'm also looking for any recommendations that you guys might have.
    Things I'm looking for:
    User serviceable ( I want to be able to occasionally shoot .22lr thru it and be able to clean it) this is a must.
    Blast chamber. Ive seen a few that have an insert that protects the outer shell of the can.
    QD mount, not very important as this will mostly live on my 1 AR, but the option of quickly changing it from rifle to rifle is appealing
    I dont really care about how "cool" it looks, nor do I care if its not a "name brand". As long as its effective, I'm interested.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

Default Re: Best bang for the buck 5.56 can

Why not opt for the versatility of a 762 can? That will allow you to use it on .308, 300 Blackout down to a 5.56 down the road should you choose. In reality, a suppressor is a much different purchase than a gun meaning that you will probably never go through the hassle of selling it, so why not get as much versatility as you can?

I almost bought the a 556 can, but then came to my senses and got the 762. I would have regretted the 556 as I am now shooting 300 Blackout.

JMHO.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Delaware County)

SilencerCo Omega FTW!!!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Being serviceable should narrow down your choices. Most of your high pressure cans (5.56)aren't serviceable, and most of the low pressure cans (.22) that are serviceable won't hold up to the high pressure ammo (5.56) because of the wall thickness of the tube or the baffle material being made from aluminum.

Have you thought about going the Form1 method? There are several companies out there that sell solvent traps that can be easily converted to a approved ATF suppressor. Tubes come in steel, titanium or aluminum, so do the end caps. You can even get muzzle protector (muzzle end cap) that works on QD.

(Schuylkill County)

Like was already said, there isn't a ton of user serviceable 5.56 cans. The general consensus is to get a dedicated 22 can. However, here are a few that come apart:

http://huntertownarms.com/k556.php
    http://libertycans.net/centerfire-ri...-constitution/
    http://www.tacticalinc.com/tac16-ar1...ssor-p-44.html

I don't have any experience with any of these cans. Liberty and Huntertown generally seem to get good reviews on their products. The TAC16 seems to be hit or miss. The biggest complaint seems to be that it's pretty heavy. Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by Holeshot121; October 26th, 2015 at 09:09 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ftownkev View Post
    SilencerCo Omega FTW!!!!!!
    I don't think the Omega is user serviceable. Unless the OP changes his requirements, it's not quite what he's looking for.

(Montgomery County)

A basic steel tube, end caps with freeze plugs will run you around $100, not including $200 tax stamp. Price can go up from there when you start going with titanium and valve retainer, even more if you go with a QD muzzle brake that acts as a sacrificial blast baffle.
    I've seen some nice all titanium builds using freeze plugs and/or valve retainers only cost around $250 and weigh just as much if not less than the commercial cans.

(Northampton County)

I thought about doing the DIY method, but I became weary with the trial and error portion. IDK how the ATF feels about adding/subtracting baffles (freeze plugs) or me replacing them if there is a baffle strike. I nixed the 30 cal can idea based on the fact that I'm not a fan of the 300blk round, and I only shoot about 75 rounds of 308 a year. Doesnt justify the price increase to go that route. I've come across the Tac16 and Huntertown in my searches and thats basically what I'm looking for first hand experience with. Obviously the big names have tons of reviews, but I've always had luck with my firearms being not the big names (RIA, SAR, MAS defense to name a few) and kinda want to go that route with the suppressor too. Thanks for all advice to this point, and please keep em coming!
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Lehigh County)

Shouldn't the title of the thread be "Best POOFA for the buck" ! After all if you get a bang, something is not where you want to be.

I have not delved into the world of cans, mostly because I am cheap, but appreciate the wisdom from this thread. If I put a 30 can on a 556 or 22 how much does that change (or not) the effectiveness with the smaller calibers?

(Montgomery County)

You Putting a 30cal on a smaller caliber will still suppress, just not as good. The tighter the baffle bore and the right baffle design will help decrease the decibels.

Building a form1 has gotten easier with the available solvent trap kits, it's just that some kits aren't rated for high pressure rounds based on the material used. You don't want to use aluminum or mag-lite tube and end caps on a high pressure round.

You can even buy jigs to form the freeze plug into a 45 or 60 degree cone, plus the jig is a centering tool for drilling out center of plug. They make it just about idiot proof if you have a little bit of skill.

I'm a machinist by trade, so I didn't go the solvent trap route. My first form1 is 6.375" long x 1.792"OD x 1.625ID grade 5 titanium tube, end caps. My blast baffle is made from Mp35n, the rest of the baffles (6) are titanium 10-2-3. My other form1 was approved, and will be a 9" reflex design.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast