Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG

(Philadelphia County)

Default Kel-Tec KSG

lately I've been considering a shotgun for HD and a little skeet shooting here and there. previously I've owned a Saiga 20 but I couldn't get it to run bird shot so I gave up and sold it off.

I was dead set on a Remington 870 which can sometimes be found for around $250 and then adding a collapsible stock due to my shorter arms. I was also considering a Mossberg, benelli or even a semi auto like the Mossberg JM 930.

Each time I make a decision I start looking into the kel-tec and each time it looks better and better. 14 + 1 in a short bullpup configuration and I could choose to mount AR style irons or a red dot optic.

I haven't held one as of yet so I may stop at a local shop today. What are the thoughts of current or previous owners? should I go simple, tried and true traditional pump or take a risk on the kel-tec?

thanks.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec KSG

I was all about one and then I held it. It just felt cheap to me at the price it comes in at id rather buy three 870s or mossy 500s. I also own a saiga and a 930 jmpro. If it's for hd pump reliability is really tough to beat

(Bucks County)

Buy it for fun but for HD buy the 870 that will work EVERYTIME. There are tons of reviews & videos showing various reliability issues. No biggies at the range. HD? Not worth the risk.

I would personally go with the 870. The KSG is cool to look at and dont get me wrong I am sure would make one hell of a self defense shotgun, but to me it is too gimmicky. I like the 870 with the Ghost ring sights like this:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx

(Dauphin County)

I have shot the KSG extensively as one of my good friend has two of them. Didn't like it for a number of reasons mainly reliability. As others have said, an HD gun is not the place for questionable reliability.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Allegheny County)

Frigging thing is heavy as f*ck when loaded! I came close to buying one, but decided that except for the novelty of it, it didn't fill a need that any of my other shotguns couldn't fill.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 22nd, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Berks County)

A guy is selling an 870 with ar collapsible stock cheap in the classifieds here.

Go with a Rem 870 or an 1100. You can buy both in good used condition for less than the Kel Tec and you'll never wonder if they will go "bang" when you need it to.

You said you looking for something for HD and a little skeet shooting. Skeet is hard enough with a 20" barrel but the short sight radius of a bullpup configuration makes it even more challenging. It can be done but you won't be letting the clays get far.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    A guy is selling an 870 with ar collapsible stock cheap in the classifieds here.
    Thank you for that suggestion, I checked the ad and unfortunately the person is about 2 hours away and unwilling to travel but $150 is definitely within my budget.

I figure I could always buy a longer barrel for trap so the 870 is more practical but man, the ksg looks so bad ass in FDE. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Chester County)

I was just at Walmart (in MD) and they have 870's for $180....
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast