Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Traveling Through Maryland this Weekend.

My brother is getting married this weekend in southwestern Virginia. I will need to travel through Maryland to get there. What do I need to do to ensure no harassment by MD law enforcement per my ability to carry or transport my firearms? I realize that the PA LTCF is not honored there, but do also have Utah and Florida non-resident permits. I Googled information about the Utah permit and it appears to be valid in MD per the website, but I want to verify because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I know one choice is to simply go unarmed, but I will be travelling with my wife, mother, and aunt and want to be able to protect them if something arises.

Also, I heard rumors of MD law enforcement pulling over people with PA license plates and cross-referencing them to LTCF holders. Is this true?

(York County)

Default Re: Traveling Through Maryland this Weekend.

Don't speed AND browse the following (just a few of the ton of posts talking about Maryland)...

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    My brother is getting married this weekend in southwestern Virginia. I will need to travel through Maryland to get there. What do I need to do to ensure no harassment by MD law enforcement per my ability to carry or transport my firearms? I realize that the PA LTCF is not honored there, but do also have Utah and Florida non-resident permits. I Googled information about the Utah permit and it appears to be valid in MD per the website, but I want to verify because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I know one choice is to simply go unarmed, but I will be travelling with my wife, mother, and aunt and want to be able to protect them if something arises.

Also, I heard rumors of MD law enforcement pulling over people with PA license plates and cross-referencing them to LTCF holders. Is this true?
    Maryland doesn't honor any states permit AFAIK. You'll have to rely on FOPA protection to travel through MD. Drive to the PA border, remove your firearm, unload and lock up the gun and any mags/ammo separately. Travel through MD and just obey all traffic laws. When you cross the VA line you can load up and carry as normal.

It's also best to look at your route and make sure you don't go through D.C. at all. Some routes will take you through D.C.territory, but it's pretty easy to avoid.

It's also customary to flip Maryland the bird once you reach VA and are back in free territory.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks everybody for the information. I will be going to VA via I-81 south. Does anybody know how the length of the trip via I-81 through MD? I have no intentions of stopping anywhere in MD. I was thinking of having my wife drive that portion as she's not as much of a leadfoot as I am. However, she is also a PA LTCF holder.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Thanks everybody for the information. I will be going to VA via I-81 south. Does anybody know how the length of the trip via I-81 through MD? I have no intentions of stopping anywhere in MD. I was thinking of having my wife drive that portion as she's not as much of a leadfoot as I am. However, she is also a PA LTCF holder.
    Via 81 you'll only be in MD for about 15 minutes. It'll take you longer to secure your carry gun and get it back out than it will to pass through. Gotta love commie states

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

It's also customary to flip Maryland the bird once you reach VA and are back in free territory.
    I wouldn't do that. Being a communist country, it wouldn't surprise me if they had cameras at every border crossing into & out of the state recording the coming & goings of undesirables, like gun owners. Wait until you're safely back in PA to flip them off.

I think I-81 through MD is only about 12 miles.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

Wipe your feet becoming coming back in to PA. Thanks and have a good time.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I wouldn't do that. Being a communist country, it wouldn't surprise me if they had cameras at every border crossing into & out of the state recording the coming & goings of undesirables, like gun owners. Wait until you're safely back in PA to flip them off.

I think I-81 through MD is only about 12 miles.
    So that's why I always get a welcoming committee when I come back north.

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Wipe your feet becoming coming back in to PA. Thanks and have a good time.
    Also, he should find out,
    Does the gun watwrproof?

Hokkmike Guest

It still galls me that the the Democrat's "candidate" ex-Baltimore mayor sneered and smiled when answering "NRA" as the enemy that hates him most during the their debate.

(Allegheny County)

In addition to following FOPA, minimizing or eliminating stops, and driving whiten the strict limits of the law, I would also make sure all your paperwork is up to date and do a inspection of your car. You don't want to get pulled over for a licence plate light and then find out your new insurance card is still on your desk and the one in your car is expired while in MD.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast