Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Jefferson County)

Default Washington Co DA election

If you vote in Washington Co, please remember that last year the current DA put a man on trial for defending himself with a legally owned, personal firearm.
    A road rage incident became a self defense shooting when the first guy tried to leave the argument, was followed into a public parking area and then had his vehicle blocked by the other party to the argument. After blocking the first guy's vehicle so he could not continue to peacefully leave, the second guy aggressively approached the first guy, reached INTO the first guy's vehicle and GRABBED HIM!

The first guy shot his attacker with a legally owned personal firearm. He gave his attacker a "double tap"... as good protective shooting lessons recommend. The current DA - Vittone - had the shooter arrested and put on trial because THE SECOND SHOT MAY HAVE BEEN UNNECCESARY... As you may remember after a lengthy trial where lots of taxpayer money was p^ssed away, the jury found the shooter NOT GUILTY.

I know nothing about the man who is running opposed to the current DA but.... this current guy needs to get another job.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Washington Co DA election

I have been a resident of Washington County since before Sputnik was launched. You have read about one incident, I have read many accounts of how DA Vittone has been a supporter of CC laws and works to support law abiding citizens. I don`t recollect ever reading about the case you refer to. Maybe you could clarify that. One of the assistant district attorneys is a personal friend of mine and I have met with a talked with Mr. Vittone a number of times and on more than one occasion he discussed his position on 2A issues. Sir, with all due respect you are wrong about Mr. Vittone. If you think Mr. Vittone`s demoncratic opponent is going to do a better job at supporting the 2A and firearms owners in Washington county you are sorely mistaken. I really have to question why someone from Jefferson County is interested in making a statement about another county`s DA race? Are you trolling? are you a demoncratic party shill?

(Jefferson County)

Jury acquits veteran of homicide charges in Washington, Pa. road-rage incident
    May 14, 2014 10:59 PM

The jury began deliberations shortly before noon Wednesday. About 1:15 p.m., the six women and six men asked the judge for definitions of third-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter and the Castle Doctrine before returning to consider first- and third-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter charges.
    They returned with a verdict shortly after 2:30 p.m.
    Mr. Thomas’ attorney, Frank Walker, contended that his client shot Simonelli in self-defense and was justified under the state’s Castle Doctrine, which allows citizens the right to defend themselves in their homes. An expanded definition of the law includes vehicles.
    It was the law, he said, that swayed the jury.
    “He’s in his car, there is a presumption that he is safe, and anyone intruding in that car while he was in there is subject to him defending himself,” he said.
    It is a tragedy about Mr. Simonelli, but you know, it is what it is. It’s a shame, but it’s one man’s life that was in the balance and he had to defend it,” he said.

As [first assistant district attorney Chad Schneider] stated in his opening, there was conflicting evidence,” District Attorney Gene Vittone of Washington County said to reporters after the trial. “It was a difficult case, we knew that going in. However, we thought that it was a case that needed to be tried.
    “The jury didn’t agree with the evidence that was presented, and that’s the system we have.”

This is para phrased so I do not get in hot water with the Post Gazette... but... here it is. The DA said it was a hard case ... guess the jury did not think so.

(Washington County)

Thank-you for your reply. I do remember the case and the trial. I will do my research and rebut. You still never answered why someone from Jefferson county is putting his $.02 in a Washington County election? Especially when you goy so many other liberal target rich counties in this state?

(Jefferson County)

Don’t know if a rebuttal is necessary or even appropriate. Not interested in debating something that happened and is a matter of history.

My interest was simply a response to what was a bizarre abuse of the Pa Self Defense statue. No less… by an elected official from a formerly rural and conservative county.

If you feel compelled to defend a poor decision/judgment of an elected official perhaps your own motivations can be called into question.

Regarding why a person from some other location should be interested in the mal-administration of justice… Guess you could call that a bad habit of mine… You see, I fought in Vietnam and Kuwait (voluntarily) for the same reasons. Retired now but still thinking about it.

Regarding my political affiliations… LBJ sent me to Nam… Jane Fonda and John Kerry spit on me when I came home… Go figure ??? Bush 1 sent me to the desert… No one even cared when I came back.

(Washington County)

Thank-you for your service. I have sincere doubts about your sincerity about our DA race. I think you are a demoncratic shill or a troll. I believe you should concern yourself with Jefferson county politics. JMHO Have a nice life.

(Washington County)

Shooting an unarmed man is not self defense this is a copy from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
    Weaver
    Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

An Upper St. Clair veteran accused of killing a man in a parking lot was cursing and claiming his daughter was in the hospital during the confrontation with the victim, witnesses said Wednesday.
    Police disclosed during a preliminary hearing for Brandon Thomas that they found empty stamp bags commonly used to package heroin in the suspect's sock when they arrested him for the fatal shooting on Oct. 18.
    Thomas' lawyer, Frank Walker, tried to get a new drug charge connected to the bags dismissed, arguing there was no proof his client had any drugs. He said Wednesday was the first time he heard anyone say Thomas, a father of three, mentioned a hospitalized daughter.
    Walker argued Thomas, 30, whom he said is a decorated veteran, was acting in self-defense when he killed Vaughn Simonelli outside of the Shop 'n Save in Washington. District Judge Lawrence Hopkins ordered Thomas to stand trial and remain jailed on a homicide charge after hearing from several witnesses.
    Coroner Tim Warco testified that Simonelli was shot twice, once in the left back of his neck and once in his front right shoulder.
    Witnesses John McGary and Robert Newman of Washington testified that Simonelli did not display a weapon.
    University of Pittsburgh law professor John Burkoff said it would be difficult for a defendant to successfully argue he acted in self-defense in a case like this.
    “He has to prove that he wasn't the aggressor, that he reasonably believed that it was immediately necessary to act to protect himself from death or serious bodily injury, and that he could not have retreated to avoid the danger,” said Burkoff, who is not involved in the case.
    McGary said he saw Thomas wield the gun over Simonelli's head before returning it to a holster. He said Simonelli, who was on his cell phone, told Thomas, “you're not going anywhere.” McGary turned to walk away and soon heard two shots. When he turned back around, Simonelli was on the ground, McGary said.
    Newman said Thomas was about an arm's length away when he shot Simonelli twice in the chest. Walker said that testimony conflicted with the coroner's report that stated the victim was shot in the neck, but Newman said he was “absolutely sure” both shots were in the chest.
    Washington police Lt. Dan Stanek said Thomas confessed to shooting Simonelli.
    Walker has said Thomas served two tours in Afghanistan and one in Iraq. The Army honorably discharged him in 2010, and he received honors that include three Purple Hearts, Walker said.
    Prosecutors said officials are investigating another argument involving Thomas and Simonelli shortly before the shooting. Witnesses told investigators that they yelled at each other on nearby Jefferson Avenue.

(Jefferson County)

“In a Democracy the voters get the government they deserve…” (sic) - Alexis de Toqueville

Or... "The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing" - Edmund Burke

Hmmm... Don't think either one on those gentlemen are Democrats or Republicans... but... you probably wouldn't know that...

(Jefferson County)

Well Tonto, I think our work here is done. Adios!