Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Exclamation MidwayUSA... Shipping Costs!

I have bought tons of stuff at Midway over the years, they do have a great website, and a good selection of stuff but I only buy when the price is right or the SHIPPING COST isn't ridiculous.

I swear Larry plays games with the shipping costs. So many times I have cancelled the order when the shipping pops up at checkout and it is way too much compared to the size and weight, or what I have paid for similar items in the past shipped from Midway.

Seems like if an item is priced real cheap... like way cheaper than anywhere else, he makes up the difference by whacking you with stupid shipping rates.

I have even written to him, and he did answer, about the shipping costs are all over the place... his claim is "how big his warehouse is, and all his costs on his end."

Well, I don't buy that. Shipping costs are shipping costs relative to the size and weight of the package. (I'm not talking overnight expedited stuff, just standard ground shipping).

It did seem like for a while Midway addressed the shipping costs and gave you a choice of shipping and you could pick a cheaper rate ( still seemed to get here as quick as the higher rates) but that option doesn't pop up all the time.

So, I vote with my wallet. When I feel I'm getting jammed on the shipping, I get it somewhere else.

I am not bashing Midway, I will always give them a shot at what I need and I have gotten some pretty good deals outta there, like a Black Dog Machine 50rd drum for my 15-22 for $35.00... I still don't know how or why it was that low, but I got it and didn't get nailed on the shipping either...

I guess that's what bugs me is that it is not consistent. Maybe they shouldn't put tiny items in big boxes lost in the corner under a pile of packing paper or bubble wrap. Big box takes up more room in the truck, costs more to ship.

Is it just me or have you ever thought the same about Midway?

(Berks County)

Default Re: MidwayUSA... Shipping Costs!

I brought this up in a thread awhile ago. All the members on here threatened to come to my house and beat me up (if I remember correctly, but the could be wrong)...

I agree that mostly his shipping is high but still buy there on occasion.

(Dauphin County)

Brownells charged me $7.95 to ship a center pin for a S&W j-frame....in an envelope....that fit in my mailbox...

(Montgomery County)

Don't like guns don't buy one.
    Don't like Midway,Brownells don't shop there.
    Wasn't that easy.
    I'd rather have a gun in my hand then a cop on the phone.

(Tioga County)

I believe I posted a thread last year about Midway changing their shipping pricing structure to make it easier to order smaller items.

Still people gotta understand that even to send one small thing USPS Priority it's almost $6.00. Shipping isn't cheap these days.

Also Midway often has coupon codes available. Check the coupon section at Slickguns or sign up for Midways emails. Every other month they do $10 off $100, $20 off $200, $30 off of $300 or have other codes available that could reduce your costs.

Back before they got so high and mighty , they used to have "fair & honest shipping charges".

Forget the exact amounts , but I once had to pay something like $16 S&H for an $18.95 set of rings , shipped in a padded envelop. Actual postage was something like $4.95. Exactly what a small Priority mail box would cost.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by gracenrich View Post
    Don't like guns don't buy one.
    Don't like Midway,Brownells don't shop there.
    Wasn't that easy.
    Larry, is that you Larry?

Ah Ha... a pen name.

Interesting.

(Chester County)

Shipping costs are a profit center, and a way to hide true costs for MANY online retailers. I compare total cost when shopping, and select the least expensive shipping method if given a choice. Buyer beware.

Their new system (Nitro Express?) has lowered shipping costs far below what they were and far below most other places I shop.

In addition, Larry Potterfield is a huge 2A supporter.....wrote a check for about $500,000 tot he NRA a year or two ago.....people need to stop whining or shop someplace else.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, Google Nitro Express, or look on their website. It will explain why you are paying more while they claim you are paying less. LOL

I keep big boxes in a corner of my garage for future use. My wife asked me what came in one of teh big boxes she saw there. It was about the size that would contain a king size bedding set with comforter - pretty large. I looked at it a bit trying to think of what I could have ordered that was so big. "OH!", I said, "That's what that little range bag came in. It was in a small box that was tossed into that HUGE box."

Cabela's sends things in much the same nonsensical manner.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast