Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default .357 Sig - lets hear some opinions people.

So this summer I picked up a Glock31 used at one of the gun stores I frequent (The Armory in Kresgeville). This is the first firearm I've ever owned chambered in .357 sig. Now I've shot/owned most if not all of the "standard" handgun calibers and even a few of the exotic ones (454, .50AE, 500s&w etc) but the .357sig kinda stuck with me as a personal favorite for a couple of reasons.

For one, the bottle neck cartridges enhance feeding reliability - I've certainly never experienced any sort of malfunction. Another thing I really like is that you get a decent capacity in a double stack magazine (15 rounds magazine sit flush). The recoil is "snappy" but not much different than that of a .40 so it's relatively easy to shoot and supposedly (I have not tested this) it's great from defeating things like car doors/ auto glass without having a significant impact on the trajectory of the round. All of that makes it a gun that I truly love to shoot and carry 90% of the time.

What do you guys think of .357sig? The perfect round? Overpriced crap? An answer to a question no one's asking? - let's hear some opinions people.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Northampton County)

Default Re: .357 Sig - lets hear some opinions people.

I have a custom 1911 in that caliber ,it's a blast to shoot. I could carry a pistol in that caliber as well, I like round , I have never been a fan of .40 cal. The bulk of my pistols are 9mm and 45acp. I have one pistol in 357 sig and one in .40 cal. If 357 sig ammo was cheaper I would have more pistols in that cailber ,I like the performance and velocity of the round.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    I have a custom 1911 in that caliber ,it's a blast to shoot. I could carry a pistol in that caliber as well, I like round , I have never been a fan of .40 cal. The bulk of my pistols are 9mm and 45acp. I have one pistol in 357 sig and one in .40 cal. If 357 sig ammo was cheaper I would have more pistols in that cailber ,I like the performance and velocity of the round.
    A 1911 in .357sig......you just added something to my Christmas list lol. Who makes that?

(Berks County)

After going without a good "compact" size carry gun for a while, I decided to get a Glock again. I did some more research on calibers & decided on 357 sig, so I got a G32. I also have a 9mm conversion barrel & G19 mags. Most of my buddies who have shot both prefer the 9mm to the 357. The recoil & flash can be a bit intimidating I guess. I've never been a macho guy or anything, but recoil has never seemed to mess with me too much (other than the really big-boy revolvers). It does have a stiff recoil, but I've found that I shoot pistols better with a very firm "crush" grip anyways.

I like the 357 sig for the same reasons you mentioned. The capacity is really great for a round that truly does best 9mm+p+ (if you believe the numbers - which I tend to). I've been loading with Hornady XTP 124 grainers & they've been very reliable. I haven't put any through the chronograph yet, but I would guesstimate them at about 1300-1400 - in the neighborhood of Buffalo Bore's numbers for their 9mm +p+, and there's room for more powder if I wanted to push them faster. I will say that if I wasn't a hand loader, I would probably get rid of it just because the ammo is so ding-dang expensive.

I would like to get a G23 barrel to compare 40 along with the other 2 rounds in the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    A 1911 in .357sig......you just added something to my Christmas list lol. Who makes that?
    Sig finally got off the dime and made them available - it only took about 4 to 5 years after the announcement.

Your assessment pretty much nailed it. Great cartridge.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I also have a 9mm conversion barrel & G19 mags.
    I'm extremely interested in doing this. What do I need? I already have a g17 barrel, do i need a new extractor? New Recoil Spring? I know converting my g21 to shoot 10mm was pretty easy but for ultimate reliability its barrel, extractor and recoil spring that need replacing.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticSheepDog76 View Post
    I'm extremely interested in doing this. What do I need? I already have a g17 barrel, do i need a new extractor? New Recoil Spring? I know converting my g21 to shoot 10mm was pretty easy but for ultimate reliability its barrel, extractor and recoil spring that need replacing.
    It might matter about the gen, but I don't know. For me, it's just the 9mm mags & barrel. The recoil spring in the gen 4 is stronger than previous generations if memory serves me correctly. My extractor is stock for the g32.

(Dauphin County)

It might matter about the gen, but I don't know. For me, it's just the 9mm mags & barrel. The recoil spring in the gen 4 is stronger than previous generations if memory serves me correctly. My extractor is stock for the g32.
    Does switching calibers change the point of impact?

(Berks County)

That's a good question. I imagine not by too much as I haven't noticed anything, but I'm generally not shooting for super tight groups. If I can shoot tomorrow, I'll give it a test.

(Dauphin County)

That's a good question. I imagine not by too much as I haven't noticed anything, but I'm generally not shooting for super tight groups. If I can shoot tomorrow, I'll give it a test.
    Yeah that would be greatly appreciated theunrulychef I can tell you just for reference sake that when I put the 10mm barrel in my g21 it changes the point of impact slightly to the right at 25 yards. But I think we are in similar boats - not looking to shoot super tight groups, just looking to maximize the versatility of the firearms I already own. Really appreciate all your help with this one, apparently this is the one question google can't give me a definitive answer to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast