Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Gun for Pocket Carry

My father (79 years old) wants to get a gun for pocket carry. He has a 'nightstand gun' - a 3" round butt S&W Model 66. I do not think that he will tolerate a IWB holster which is the only way that I arry a gun. What are some good options? Thinking that it will be a SA/DA .380, but want to ask those of you that do pocket carry. Also, is pocket carry w/o a holster safe, or, is there some sort of holster that the gun goes into before it goes in the pocket.

Default Re: Gun for Pocket Carry

A S&W 442 or 642 would be a good choice, since he's already used to a revolver. I use a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster when I carry mine. IMO carrying a handgun of any kind in a pocket without the trigger covered isn't very safe.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Pocket carry with out a holster?
    That is an accident waiting to happen.
    I have a Glock 42 larger the other small guns.
    Works for me.
    Suggest you go to a store and see the 380 that feels good in your hand and go from their.
    I'd rather have a gun in my hand then a cop on the phone.

(Berks County)

How is your father's hand strength? I would be thinking lc380 because of the slide being very easy to rack. Little big but pocketable. You could go sneaky Pete. It's a case worn on the belt. A north American arms 22mag revolver with critical defense loads fit in a glasses case put in the shirt pocket. An aluminum j frame might hurt his wrist. The LCR in 9mm has less felt recoil and is pocketable. Uses moon clips that will fit in a cell phone case nicely. Winter is comming and a S&W 640-1 has the weight to tame 357 and on the waste holster would be more comfortable than inside. It's got heft but you can pocket it, especially in a jacket, just don't hang it on the coat rack at the dinner. Crimson trace laser grips on anything they fit really help older eyes, I like the button placement and the customer service is top notch.

Always cover the trigger when you carry. May all your bangs be on purpose.

(Monroe County)

When my back gets really bad or my attire requires I carry a S&W 638 in a pocket sleeve. I barely notice it's there.

(Lycoming County)

Since he's used to the revolver, I'd look into a j frame size snubby as well. Simple and effective. If he does go .380, make sure he can rack the slide. Some of them can be difficult in the smaller guns. I'm partial to the Kahr p 380 and the ruger lcp in that category, but really anything short of a lorcin will probably work. It is more dependent on what he's comfortable with.

As was mentioned above the desantis nemesis is the way to go for a pocket holster. Good value and works well. Really anything that covers the trigger and will stay in his pocket during a draw will work. I've used the cheap Blackhawk pocket holsters from Wal-Mart and they work also. They just wear out quicker than the nemesis.

(Lancaster County)

I am personally not a fan of pocket carry. I envision the worst possible scenario, snagging the trigger while pulling it out.

As far as a small pistol that is easily concealed, I love my Bersa Thunder 380. Single stack, so it's very slim. Easy to conceal. Note: It has a bit of a "heavy" rack, so something to consider for your pop.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    My father (79 years old) wants to get a gun for pocket carry. He has a 'nightstand gun' - a 3" round butt S&W Model 66. I do not think that he will tolerate a IWB holster which is the only way that I arry a gun. What are some good options? Thinking that it will be a SA/DA .380, but want to ask those of you that do pocket carry. Also, is pocket carry w/o a holster safe, or, is there some sort of holster that the gun goes into before it goes in the pocket.

(York County)

I pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a Sticky holster. Holds 6+1 and its a nice little gun, very accurate, very easily concealed in a pocket. Definitely not safe to carry anything in a pocket without it being in a pocket holster.

(York County)

I've been carrying an LCP daily in a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster for several years and it's convenient if not unnoticeable. However, not knowing what your Dad's physical capabilities are, I'd remind you skills with the smaller gun seem to be more perishable than a mid or full size gun. Short sight radius and small grips require more frequent practice to maintain acceptable hits. I'm as guilty as anyone on this count. One reason mine is used as a backup to my primary. Food for thought.

(Berks County)

Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast