Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What a Day! CC, OC, LEOs, NFA, etc...

Greetings all

Today was packed so full of stuff that I might have to make a couple of posts! Overall it was a good day, but I am beat. After I hit the post button, I am going out to float in the pool for a while.

It started out early this morning, when I left for Allentown to go to the sheriff's office. I needed to be fingerprinted and get the sheriff to sign papers for a suppressor. I decided that the better part of valor would be to CC into the courthouse. I arrived at the security checkpoint, where there was a guy who is even fatter than I am in a suit with a badge. He asked me to step through the metal detector. I said that I would be glad to do so, but that I was carrying my legal firearm and wanted to check it in before I went through.

WHAT!?! "YOU BROUGHT A GUN WITH YOU!!!???!!! THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!"

No, actually it is against the law to try and take it past the checkpoint here. I am asking you to check it for me in a secure lock box.

"NO, IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!! Here comes the sheriff now."

Sheriff: "What's going on here?"

Deputy: HE BROUGHT A GUN IN HERE WITH HIM!!!!

Sheriff: WHAT!?!?! THAT'S ILLEGAL!!!!

Me: No, it is illegal to take it past the checkpoint. I only want you to secure it for me. I did not want to leave it in the truck.

Sheriff: NEXT TIME LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!!!

Me: Well you're the one who gave me the license to carry it around with me.

Sheriff: I don't care, it doesn't belong here! Don't do it again. <pause> All right, come along with me and I will take care of it.

The sheriff stomped into his office in a very bad mood it seemed. I could see my NFA application going up in smoke. But I resolved to press on. As we entered his private office, he called to a deputy.

"Take his gun away from him."

I asked the deputy if he wanted me to clear the gun, and he did, so I did. I locked the slide back and handed it to him.

"Oh, this is a Sig Sauer, huh? Very nice! I really like the grip it has. Is is DA only?"

"No, it is SA/DA, and the trigger is almost as smooth as a 1911. You can give it a try if you like."

The deputy fondled my Sig for a few more seconds, while the sheriff stood there with steam coming out of his ears. He then locked it all up in a bank of lock boxes and handed me the keys.

Off I went to be fingerprinted. I spoke at length with the deputy about lock boxes, the state of the law, my Sig vs. the wheelguns they were all carrying, etc. I told him what I understood the law to be, and he agreed with me. I went on to say I did not want to get into a pissing match with the sheriff, especially today, needing his signature and all that. He laughed at that one and said, "no, you certainly don't!"

After the fingerprinting, I returned to the sheriff's office, only to be shocked out of my shoes. He had a big smile on his face, took my papers, signed off where he needed to sign, and had someone in the office type in the other needed information. He apologized for taking so long to get all the stuff done, and then instructed the deputy to take me to a safe room where I could reload and reholster my gun. It was like I was talking to a different guy!

Once I was out of the sheriff's office, I returned to my usual mode of OC. I met my parents for a late breakfast at Cracker Barrel, where several people noticed, and a few people remarked out of my hearing, but within the hearing of my parents. My Dad got a big kick out of one of the comments. After we got out of the place, he told me the guy behind me stared at my Sig like his eyes were going to pop out of his head. As I left to go on ahead to our house and let the dogs out, his wife said to him, "Is it really what you thought it was!?!"

After a short visit with my parents where I introduced them to our new dog Jester, I loaded up a bunch of hardware, and spent the rest of the afternoon at the home of LastManOut expending many rounds down range at bowling pins, metal spinners, some old Christmas ornaments, and a paper target. I think I got him hooked on a Ciener conversion kit for the AR. It was a great time, and I think I have yet another shooting buddy. He is also a member at Topton, so we can both get in there without any worries about passes. And when I get my own range running again, I will be sure to start reciprocating for nice guys like him and .357shooter, who has also invited me to shoot.

On the way home from there, I stopped at the drive in at the top of the mountain near Shimerville for a chocolate milkshake. One of the men behind the counter noticed the Sig, and made some very nice comments regarding OC. He does not carry himself, but thinks it is a great idea. I was so tired from impending sun stroke that I forgot to give him a flier.

There are lots more details, but the pool and a cold beer are waiting.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What a Day! CC, OC, LEOs, NFA, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I returned to the sheriff's office, only to be shocked out of my shoes. He had a big smile on his face, took my papers, signed off where he needed to sign, and had someone in the office type in the other needed information. He apologized for taking so long to get all the stuff done, and then instructed the deputy to take me to a safe room where I could reload and reholster my gun. It was like I was talking to a different guy!
    He probably looked up the law and found you were completely in the right and he was in the wrong and wanted to head off a lawsuit

Good show! And let us know how that suppressor works out for you

(Lehigh County)

Did you talk to anyone before showing up for the prints and signoff on the suppressor??

I called the sheriff's office sometime last year and left a voicemail asking whether Sheriff Rossi will sign off on NFA stuff but never heard back from them.

Can I bring you with me when I get my forms signed?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

[QUOTE=PennsyPlinker;378735]Greetings all

"Is it really what you thought it was!?!"

are people that friggin retarded?

(Indiana County)

Imagine that, a bipolar sheriff!

(Northampton County)

Was that secretary he called to, under his desk by chance?? That would explain the moodswing and the smile.

Speaking of Shimerville, I went to the indoor range there a couple of weeks ago. Great prices and a nice little place!
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

I remember when I was in elementary school and then "Trooper" Rossi would come talk to us.

Sounds like he's just a cranky old guy.

(Berks County)

Trooper Friendly aka Sheriff Ron is a real "upholder" of the constitution. When he was first elected into office he made it a requirement for a psych test before issuing LTCF. Courts smacked him down.

In the name of "security" he has made it policy that cops that go to a hearing have to wear a color coded lapel pin if they are carrying. Nothing like painting a target on the guys with guns. Makes it nice and easy for the bad guys to spot a gun that isn't in a high level holster.

Sheriff Ron says it will enable his responding deputy's to be able to identify a good guy with a gun. Makes perfect sense. There isn't any stress when shooting starts in a courthouse. They should be able to see a 1X2 inch color coded ribbon on a lapel.

Good Work Ron.

Glad he was nice to you Pennsy. He is a nut job.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    It started out early this morning, .............It was like I was talking to a different guy!
    He had his morning coffee.................

C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Susquehanna County)

WHAT!?! "YOU BROUGHT A GUN WITH YOU!!!???!!! THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!"

This is where I would have put my hands against the wall and pulled down my pants.
    Good show pennsy!

DC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast