Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Sig makes some nice looking guns!(P229 and P320)

So I picked up a lightly used P229 scorpion and a P320 compact in FDE.

I originally never really was into the whole colored handguns but these two really just stood out. They look like real work horses in their brown paint jobs and the scorpion is just a work of art with its tan design. I found this guy just hanging out at my local gun shop for a good price and at first I thought it was too much of a gun for me to buy. I slept on it, and the next day I decided to trade my Px4 to offset the cost of it. The pistol just intrigued me too much, and I walked out with my new P229 scorpion in all its flat dark earth glory.

The next day I took it to the range and the first shot was dead on... and then the second, and third and so on and so fourth. It's been a little bit since I shot a gun but I printed a good 2 inch group at 10 yards which for me I felt was amazing. I can only get similar results with my CZ SP-01 which is a full size all steel gun. All I know is I'm keeping this sucker for life now.

Next up I was running into videos on Sig's new P320 when I was watching videos on the P229 and I was thinking. I don't have a striker fired pistol let alone a polymer one anymore other than my Beretta Nano. The more I watched on this gun I figured what the hell I had quite a deal on the P229 that I still had some money to burn so I went back to the gun shop the next day since I saw they had a P320c in flat dark earth, and it just looked so nice in that color. This pistol certainly isn't cheap for a polymer pistol at $625, but it comes with night sights pre-installed so you could pick up a Glock for around 500ish and end up spending another 70-100 to have night sights installed. Plus, the sig just looks nicer. Oh and it's a sig.

Well... I think I ended up buying the defective one. I now have to called Sig on Monday and see if they can solve what looks to be a weak extractor issue. I had maybe 10-20 stove pipes in 200 rounds much of which happened within the first 100 or so rounds I shot through it. I'm not completely disappointed with the pistol yet and I've heard Sig has good customer service so I'm not going to throw the pistol under the bus yet. I just have bad luck when I end up buying new pistols. It's not the first lemon I bought. My S&W 1911 broke on me after 200 rounds, but Smith got it fixed and gave me a free mag. Gun companies tend to really stick to their products and I'm pretty confident once Sig looks at my pistol and I get it back I won't have anything to worry about.

I haven't seen a single negative review on P320 yet either. This is why I think I'm just experiencing a bad extractor spring or something. That happened with my AR-15 when I first got it too and when I replaced that part it has been working flawlessly ever since.

I was planning on using the P320 as a carry gun but it's just going to have to wait. Fortunately the holster I bought for it also fits the P229 and I still have my CZ P-01 and Nano so I can wait a little bit. Especially since the P229 actually feels fine despite being a little on the heavy side.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; October 3rd, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Sig makes some nice looking guns!(P229 and P320)

That scorpion is a good looking piece. I've got the scorpion 1911.

As far as sig reliability (and I absolutely hate to say this) but it seems like in recent years it's been kind of hit or miss with them. When you're shelling out this kind of $$ for a firearm, the expectation that it's going to run flawlessly out of the box is certainly not unreasonable. Also, and again I don't really want to have to tell you this but it's something you need to know, there's a chance that you're gonna get that pistol back from sig and it's still going to function less than perfectly. That happened to me with a P938 and has happened to several others as well.

If you are not satisfied with your pistol when it is returned to you the absolute best thing to do is to write a RESPECTFUL email to the CEO/Highest level executive you can find at sig sauer and explain your situation. Often times their email address will be a first intital followed by a last name @ "what ever company".com. Be sure explain how your gun still does not meet your expectations and inquire if he/she is okay with leaving customer dissatisfied or if this is what you should come to expect from their brand. This has worked for me in that past with several firearms manufacturers but should only be used if there is no other options available to you. Feel free to PM me if you want further information on how I affectively employed this method on several occasions.
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Cumberland County)

Yeah, I'm hopeful on the P320 at least. It's a simple pistol design.

Those micro pistols can tend to be a pain in the butt. I've heard that Sig's quality isn't what it used to be. Fortunately the P229 is amazing and has somehow found its way as my carry gun and I do plan to put it through its paces. I don't think any gun no matter how expensive it is shouldn't be used heavily. That is after all part of their charm is their utility and for lots of money I expect it to function well and look good doing it.

Here is hoping the 320 gets looked at and isn't a problem anymore.

(Dauphin County)

Yeah I mean, I definitely wouldn't mind adding a 320 to my collection. Definitely a beauty of a gun IMHO.

Hope everything works out for you - please post an update when you get the gun back. Best of luck!
    Vote Hillary for Prison 2016

(Lackawanna County)

The 320 is on my short list. I really like the way it points.

(Philadelphia County)

Have you seen the Burnt Bronze edition of Glocks? They are attractive, too.

Sig is real big on media hype, but this new Legion series looks like it might actually live up to it. It has some nice enhancements to the traditional P series.

http://www.osagecountyguns.com/sig-p...-9mm-dasa.html

MSRP is $1400, but I've seen them on gunbroker already for a little over $1000. Street price will probably be around $1100. I like it.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Cumberland County)

Man, I could never justify paying full price for even the Scorpion I bought. I ended up paying only 550 after taxes for mine with a trade as well. Still, the gun looks brand new and I'm sure the store could have easily priced it at 1k. My Px4 sadly just sat around and did nothing anyways and I had the cash to spend so I felt like I got a good deal on it.
    The 320 definitely is nice too. I can't wait to have it at 100%. I missed calling them today due to work, but I'll make sure to get the call in tomorrow.

Glocks look like bricks with handles on them no matter what color you paint them. I guess if you find bricks attractive a Glock looks good to you. I'm in no place to judge.

On a side note my 2 15 round nickel coated, and 18 round extended mags for my P229 came in the mail.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; October 5th, 2015 at 08:06 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

The scorpion is about ten times the gun a px4 is. I've got a buddy who loves his and I just think it's unremarkable in every way. I wouldn't be upset with the way that worked out at all. In my limited handling of the 320 it's really good. I'm just heavily invested in the glock platform right now and shooting competitively so I don't want to cross it up or I'd have one

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    The scorpion is about ten times the gun a px4 is. I've got a buddy who loves his and I just think it's unremarkable in every way. I wouldn't be upset with the way that worked out at all. In my limited handling of the 320 it's really good. I'm just heavily invested in the glock platform right now and shooting competitively so I don't want to cross it up or I'd have one
    I honestly do want to own a Glock or two down the road. Hell, if possible I'd own one of every gun there is. The scorpion is most definitely many more leagues above the Px4 Storm. It's the best handgun I own. It shoots like my CZ-75 SP-01. Those first 5 shots I made with the pistol just made the purchase all the more sweeter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast