Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default "Terminal Ballistics, Shot Placement, and Tough Adversaries"

A FrontSight blogpost (again, I took out some of the sales pitch). Check out the PDF link at the bottom, which references a Pennsylvania police incident from 2006.

Terminal Ballistics, Shot Placement, and Tough Adversaries…

What is the best handgun cartridge and bullet design for you to carry on the street?
    My standard response to this question is to carry the largest caliber, with the heaviest bullet, loaded as hot as you can handle it in order to deliver two, quick center of mass shots… and have the skills to be able to follow up with a precise shot to the cranio-ocular cavity (between the eyebrows and moustache) when the first two thoracic cavity hits don’t stop an extremely dedicated opponent.

This week’s blog post brings bullet design theory, ballistic gelatin testing, and the realities (and variables) of shooting a dedicated human opponent all together for your experience and education…

The first photo I want you study is the terminal ballistics of various handgun cartridges when shot into ballistic gelatin.

Ballistic gelatin is designed to approximate, as closely as possible, the terminal resistance that a bullet encounters when it strikes human flesh. Unfortunately, ballistic gelatin does not have bone structure, joints, nervous system reaction, circulatory hydraulic reaction, movement, or the will to fight. These are just a few of the variables encountered when you use a gun against a human adversary.

Note that every cartridge tested penetrates over 12 inches, but take a look at the wound channels. Do you see a difference?

The bigger the wound channel, the more damage and the more likely you are to adversely affect bones, joints, the nervous system and circulatory hydraulics — all of which lead to incapacitating your opponent so he stops fighting. Clearly the larger calibers perform best.

Who would chose a 9mm over the larger, more powerful calibers? Our military servicemen have been asking that question every since the government switched from the proven, battle tested 1911 in .45ACP to the Beretta 9mm. Sometimes, decisions are made based on factors other than what works best…

From this photo, if you are choosing a concealed carry handgun simply on the merit what works best in ballistic gelatin, then the best choices are clearly defined.

However, in a real gunfight, you can throw all of the theory and ballistic gelatin testing out the window, because MINDSET and TRAINING trumps equipment every time. And I’m referring to the mindset and training of both YOU and YOUR OPPONENT.

On the street, he who hits first with the most, wins. Shot placement is EVERYTHING. A disciplined and dedicated fighter with any weapon is superior to Joe Average Citizen who just took a one day CCW Course at his local gun range but does not have the mindset or ability to finish the fight.

Want proof? Take a look at this report from the FBI after some misinformation regarding an officer involved shooting was disseminated on web forums.

Note that the National Tactical Officer’s Association Blog Post was in error regarding the performance of the handgun rounds and thus created the FBI investigation and their subsequent report.

Pay close attention to the following facts:
    1. Range was 20 feet.
    2. Three officers involved.
    3. One adversary, 18 years old.
    4. Officers used M4s with 55 grain and 75 grain .223 ammunition and Glock 22’s with Speer 180 grain Gold Dot ammunition.
    5. Adversary used .45 ACP handgun.
    6. Trace amounts of marijuana in adversary’s system.
    7. 107 rounds fired by two officers with 17 rounds striking adversary (16% hit ratio).
    8. Of the 17 hits, 11 created exit wounds.
    9. NO HEAD SHOT DELIVERED by officers at range of 20 feet from either their rifles or handguns.
    10. Adversary fired 26 rounds and reloaded magazine from a box of loose ammunition.
    11. Incident lasted approximately 3.5 minutes.
    12. When adversary was no longer able to return fire, officers still had to “fight” to get him handcuffed.
    13. Interesting tattoos on very dedicated adversary.
    14. I would add under the FBI’s Lessons Learned Section that when you do not inflict immediate, incapacitating damage to your adversary, you often create a “Superman Effect” in your adversary from the normal physiologic response to significant, but non-life threatening injury.
    I experienced this myself when I broke both arms in an all terrain vehicle accident 20 years ago. I distinctly remember looking at both wrists, twisted and broken, but remarkably felt NO PAIN. I was so surprised by the lack of pain that I actually shook the wrists a bit in disbelief! I then crossed my arms, holding the wrists close to my body for support, and JOGGED back toward camp for several minutes before the pain began and then quickly intensified to the point where any movement of my body was extremely painful. It is during this brief but significant period of NO PAIN that your adversary can fight you like a “Superman” even though you may be continuing to deliver hits to his body.

The answer to such a dangerous opponent is the cranio-ocular shot. You must have the mindset and ability to slow down and deliver a dedicated shot to the area between your opponent’s eyebrows and moustache to end the fight. . . .

Here is the very interesting and educational FBI Report (in PDF format).
    (WARNING: Graphic autopsy photos contained within the report.)
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: "Terminal Ballistics, Shot Placement, and Tough Adversaries"

The only problem with the above chart is that with handgun rounds all that expansion stuff radiating out in gelatin really doesn't mean anything, so you rely only on actual speed of the bullet/depth of penetration, and the expansion of the hollowpoint by itself and whatever cutting the edges do as it opens up. So, as always, it comes down to shot placement and depth of penetration into whatever vital organ.

The only time the "shockwave" is effective is with the more powerful rifle rounds. The 30-06 round may not seem terribly big, but the power pushing behind it can really make a large mess inside a deer.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Pike County)

That powerpoint was interesting but without anything to reference it against you have to question its validity. I'm sure it was well researched and investigation but like I was always told, show your work(not the original poster, just the author of the presentation) It would be more helpful to see some notes and evidence to support the claims.

(Luzerne County)

I have seen this power point B4 and it goes to show you shot placement is everything!!!!!!!!! I can now justafy all my trips to the range. I do realize that in a gun fight we will not know how we will perform until we are in the situation but, with a lot of training I hope we all make it home alive......Joe

Pittsburgh (Mt. Washington), Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

This is all very interesting.

Reading all this reminds me of the thread from a few days ago about the fact that LEO's don't practice enough and aren't good shots. These guys fired over 100 rounds and did not score a head shot at 20 feet????????

That thread where the LEO confessed to his lack of confidence in his accuracy convinced me that I better be carrying and practicing. I don't want a LEO taking a shot with his handgun at the bad guy who has me by the head. The bad guy will be dead from a head shot from my .45 before he ever has a chance to grab me!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Two things..

1. I know at the time of the North Hollywood Bank Shootout, the LAPD had a no-headshot policy. Wouldn't be surprised if other departments have a similar policy or atleast deter their officers from achieving headshots. (Side Note: Policy or not, if I was LAPD at the North Hollywood Shootout, both suspects would have taken headshots. Go ahead. Fire the hero that stopped a prolific shootout.)

2. Two things are created when the body is struck by a bullet: permanent cavity and temporary cavity. Only permanent cavity matters. See the FBI Firearms Unit report on Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness (http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf)

(Monroe County)

Good info on ballistics and wound profiles, but its YOUR capabilities that will end the fight. And I agree shot placement is EVERYTHING in a gunfight. If you can not cloverleaf bullet holes at 15 yds, then you'd better hit the range and get more practice.
    "A large caliber is good to have, but its SHOT PLACEMENT that counts!!"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delco Sig View Post
    Two things..

1. I know at the time of the North Hollywood Bank Shootout, the LAPD had a no-headshot policy.
    Wow...What Rocket scientists came up with that?
    I would say "Only in LA" but that would be wrong.

(Northampton County)

If you can not cloverleaf bullet holes at 15 yds, then you'd better hit the range and get more practice.
    15 yds is 45 feet. What percentage of gunfights take place at that range??
    Most are much closer.

Getting more shots faster being able to hit a 6in circle at 20ft will do you better than pinpoint accuracy at 45ft.

Getting it out of the holster & on target faster also helps.

(Monroe County)

Clearing leather(or kydex, what have you) is important as well reverserboy. And I agree, the draw is probably just as important as your accuracy. First to clear holster sometimes has a better chance of winning.

As far as the distance I mentioned, if you can cloverleaf rounds at 15 yds, then in a 20foot altercation, I'm pretty sure most people can accurately pick what eye to put one in. It translates directly to it. Practicing your shooting at different ranges (distances) is important as well, so you can learn the holdover for your weapon, and so you can accurately place your shots where they'll do the most damage. Train for what you'll encounter, and the distances involved. Like from contact to street wide distances, and even further. I think we can all agree that accuracy is paramount for an incapacitating shot. And seeing that only hits count, in a life or death situation you cant miss fast enough to win.

I train with a shot timer specifically for that reason. To know how fast I can clear my holster and get an ACCURATE shot off. I'm happy to say that with all my practice, its typically around a half a second. In training, we typically shoot some type of hostage drill. Once its put under time constraints, it becomes much more difficult. Spray and pray doesnt work in those types of situations, so an accurate shot is whats called for. You have to have confidence in yourself to take the shot, and knowing your weapon well enough that you can accurately hit whatever target you see out to the working distance of the weapon, and having the mental fortitude to get it done when the time arises is all part of it as well. Smooth is fast in those types of shooting scenarios. And speed is called for.

I try to train to "put em all in one hole" so to speak. Shot placement is of the utmost importance to me, and that I learned through the training I've taken. My follow up shots are chosen carefully and placed where I want them. But I believe if you're accurate enough, you can possibly eliminate the need for a follow up shot. This is just my thoughts on the subject. YMMV.
    Last edited by synweap223; August 6th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    "A large caliber is good to have, but its SHOT PLACEMENT that counts!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast