Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Range Report and Review: XDs 45 vs Glock 43

As some of you have seen on other posts, I am quite the fan of the Kel-Tec P32's for EDC (and if you haven't seen them, don't blast me and simply know I continually look for the 'next best thing'). I just enjoy shooting 32ACP and my P32's have given me confidence and EDC pleasure with the pistol and an extra mag for 15 years. And my wife now has great confidence in them as well.

I do realize the 32ACP is not ideal but it's always been better than nothing and it literally never leaves my side except for work and excursions to school. On me at all other times (okay, not sleeping).

I also am a huge fan of 1911's but cannot justify $1000 for quality compact that will get abused and the wear and tear from EDC. I may still try one at some point but the weight, even on the most compact ones, is comparable or more than other options. I simply do not have the build to conceal or deal with the bulk and the weight. I do have a SA GI Officer's model which is quite heavy, and I have no problems shooting it whatsoever. I find it very manageable and a true pleasure to shoot like my other Commander and Government sized 1911's. Being the GI model, it's simply heavier than the compact 1911's and of course, other options.

Last year, I picked up a SA XDs in 45ACP as a gun bash 'pick of the table' win. Before taking it to the range, I put the smaller grip on as it felt better to me. Shooting it, however, was another story. It is accurate as all get out. No problems there. I simply did not enjoy shooting it at all. I liked the trigger, the sights, how it came to target, etc. I did not like the beavertail safety on this but never an issue on my 1911's. In use, I found the mag release awkward.

The recoil, for me, was almost unbearable. I really found it painful to shoot. Was simply not enjoying it. I put it back in the safe and hadn't touched it in quite a while.

Recently, I decided to put the large grips on it to see if that would make a difference. I had the chance to try it out today. It was not as painful and relatively bearable. I still do not like the beavertail nor the mag release, but it was a huge improvement from my previous experience.

However, I also recently picked up a Glock 43, another gun bash 'pick of the table' win. I don't know why I chose it as 9mm has never been my favorite but I have enjoyed the 2 previous Glocks I owned. I figured I'd try this out as a possible EDC contender. This was part of the reason for taking the XDs today, to compare the two of them.

Simply put, I love shooting the G43. The trigger was typical Glock. Recoil was equivalent to shooting one of the P32's. Accuracy was phenomenal (but will say I accuracy was equivalent between the two). I liked the sight picture, point on target as well as the mag release. This pistol was a sure pleasure to shoot.

Both are compact enough to bring into EDC rotation, especially during the colder months. However, the one extra round, cheaper ammo and comfort level in practicing with the G43 have tilted me in its favor. They are both great guns, just the G43 has tilted me in its favor.

Now, I must decided if I will end up keeping the XDs as an occasional 'toy' or sell/trade it to help fund another purchase.

I didn't check to see if anyone else posted a comparison between the two or not, but at the very least I was able to try each back to back for 100 rounds apiece and wanted to provide my feedback.
    I forgot how much I missed the slang from the 70's and 80's: "Bite me, dig?"

Default Re: Range Report and Review: XDs 45 vs Glock 43

Thanks for the XDs review most owners race about them but I find them to clunky(for lack of a better term). They have a very high bore access as compared to their Glock or S&W counterparts and tend to have more felt recoil. I have only shot it in 9mm and while it ran well it just wasn't for me and has no advantage over any of mo other carry pistols what so ever.

I've had the G43 for almost a month now and the more I shoot the more I like it. Today I added a set of Ameriglo CAP sights too it and hopefully they will complement it well.

Good luck with your decision and keep the thread updated with what you choose in the end.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Thanks for the XDs review most owners race about them but I find them to clunky(for lack of a better term). They have a very high bore access as compared to their Glock or S&W counterparts and tend to have more felt recoil. I have only shot it in 9mm and while it ran well it just wasn't for me and has no advantage over any of mo other carry pistols what so ever.

I've had the G43 for almost a month now and the more I shoot the more I like it. Today I added a set of Ameriglo CAP sights too it and hopefully they will complement it well.

Good luck with your decision and keep the thread updated with what you choose in the end.
    Let me know how you like the CAP sights, I was in a toss up between those the the XS big dots and ultimately went big dot. They are ok but the bullet impacting behind the sight as opposed to above it (same for CAP I believe)takes some getting used to.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Centre County)

I have been carrying/shooting XDs9 for some time now, and was contemplating about trading it up to .45ACP version(since I reload .45ACP, I have almost unlimited supply of ammo, where as 9mm, I have to buy it). Since I have to buy ammo, I don't shoot as much as I like to(compare to my .45ACP chambered guns, which gets regular workout)
    Guess I'll just set myself up to reload 9mm instead of getting .45ACP version...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Westmoreland County)

Some people seem to do just fine w/ the XDs 45. If you were closer, I'd let you try it. I should've found a place to 'try before I bought'.

(Delaware County)

Try some Talon Grips on the XDS.. The aggressive texture of the frame was leaving bruises on my hand. I got a Powder River Spring Kit and Installed Talon Grips. Now I actually enjoy shooting it.
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Try some Talon Grips on the XDS.. The aggressive texture of the frame was leaving bruises on my hand. I got a Powder River Spring Kit and Installed Talon Grips. Now I actually enjoy shooting it.
    How much do those run and where to get (Midway or something)?

I thought about trying something like that but don't want to dump any more money into it if even that kind of stuff doesn't help. Thanks for the tip.

(Delaware County)

Ebay or direct from www.talongrips.com
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    Ebay or direct from www.talongrips.com
    I had meant to check Midway, just haven't got to it yet. The cost from the site itself is actually reasonable. Thanks for the tip, guys! I will look to give this a try before giving up on the gun. I do like it and it's accurate, just a true mule!!!

(Delaware County)

Lol my XDS 45 Is my 2nd gun in my edc. My go to is my Shield in 9mm. I have somewhat small hands I put Talon Grips on all 5 of mt guns. Rubberized Texture type. They feel awesome and make shooting very enjoying. Their grips are under 20 dollars for the most part and are by far a good investment.
    SEMPER GUMBY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast