Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Pro Second Amendment Database

I think that Second Amendment supporters need a database that will allow them to quickly look up information, statistics, facts to use when we encounter anti-gun hyperbole and lies. The anti’s are good at constantly putting out reports and statistics they claim as factual. We should be able to grab that information, enter it into the database and get back information that we can then use to counter their posts. It would work something like Snopes but focused on Second Amendment facts and rebuttals. We could also use it to have accurate, up-to-date facts when writing our own letters, social media posts, contacting politicians, etc.

We all come across articles, blog posts, letter to the editors, opinion columns, etc. that are filled with lies and errors that we should be jumping on with solid, pithy responses with facts and links to those facts. A database that is constantly being updated and kept current with whatever Bloomberg’s minions publish, etc. would be an extremely useful tool, in my opinion.

The NRA or GOA is in the best position to put one together. They already track and publish things on their own. They just need to put it into the database and give members access.

Is this something you’d use?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Pro Second Amendment Database

No. If I'm talking to someone using anti gun hyperbole and lies I'm wasting my time talking to that person. That said, it's not a bad idea. Unfortunately 'statistics, information and facts' change depending on who is reporting them. "Lies, damned lies and statistics" and all that.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Bucks County)

You might be wasting your time talking to that person - but maybe not. However, that isn't why I respond to the anti's. They spread their lies through the media and social media and every time someone reads a lie, they are imprinted with it. And, if nobody refutes it, the lie becomes the truth as it is told over and over and over. So, I respond to get the truth out.

And, I said the database like most databases would require constant updating as pro gun stories are constantly happening and the anti's are always updating their lies.

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

I have a feeling we're all on one or two of those already.

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    This is pretty much exactly what I was describing. Thank you. I haven't had time to go through it in detail but it looks like he's trying to keep it current. He's looking for volunteers and also financial support. I'm sure it is a large undertaking of time and money to keep it updated which is why I thought one of the national associations taking it on would make sense. It's a good tool though to keep at your fingertips when you need to check out anti-statements, etc.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Second that...I use it all the time. Great facts and broken down into subjects and talking points.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson