Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: looking at a 380 to pocket carry

you are right. The reason I was considering the laser was because I am not real good with a pistol. When I was trying these 2 guns out I could keep the rounds in the torso but I cant shoot the tight groups. The guy next to me was amazing, he kept everything nice and tight.I was worried about shooting in a stressful situation but i think I just need to practice alot more.
    I havent tried the Sig, I like the look but they sure are expensive. I have heard that nothing but good things about them. If I can find one to rent I will try them out.

(Northampton County)

You can get a nice Sig P238 online Palmetto State Armory, I got 3 for $449.00 each with the Rubber grip ,extended mag with the rubber finger extension and night sights, great trigger ,accurate shooter. Or if you want something with more mag capacity a used Beretta 84 B on gunbroker for $275.00 to $350.00 , I have one of those too another great shooter or summer carry pistol or year round for that matter.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Lackawanna County)

I have a Sig P238 and it has been an excellent pocket carry gun for me. I take it practically everywhere and you really can't see it at all. Shoots very accurately and comfortably too. My Mother-in-law has the bodyguard, to be honest it's a total piece of shit ( and I own other S&W products I'm very happy with). Trigger sucks, recoil is pronounced, and I feel the trigger makes it hard to be accurate.
    I have no experience with the LCP, but if you try the Sig, I think you won't be happy with anything less
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Hokkmike Guest

I bought the Bodyguard. There is actually a trigger kit that can be installed that makes the pull less long and more like a "normal" pistol. The long pull is, however, a safety factor. The gunsmith at my local Gander Mt. actually adjusted the parameters of my Bodyguard's pull for $20 (no kit used). It pulls about half way back, stops, and the next little tug releases the hammer. I LIKE it. Keep in mind that both of these guns are intended for quick shooting defense and are not suitable "hold it steady" target friendly guns. I do get decent 10 yard groups with my BG though. I like the manual safe on the gun. I know a lot of people here think a safety is an impediment to quick defensive use of the gun. I understand that. But, if a pistol is gonna sit in my front pocket next to my privates I want that little extra peace of mind. I have recommended the BG to two of my friends and they have been very happy with theirs. My brother, whose shooting expertise I respect greatly, does NOT like the BG.

Bottom line, I carry mine a lot. It gets USED. And that, my friend, is what it is all about. Good luck in your choice. I think they are both winners, but you have my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    As mentioned, these small 380's have snappy recoil. I would stay away from the bodyguard with laser - it is a terrible and cheap laser! If you are looking at the bodyguard w/o the laser, should be a decent gun. The lcp is solid all around in my opinion. I have owned both, still have the lcp and carry it when I need a gun to drop in my pocket. I got rid of the bodyguard because of the horrible laser. Good luck!
    Get a Bersa Thunder and put rubber grips on it...you won't feel a thing. Soft, accurate and reliable shooter that fits in a pocket. No plastic parts either. I often pocket carry at church where I tuck my shirt in and want to keep it concealed.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

I have a BG and I agree with the previous comments. I really don't like the trigger. I'm also not a huge fan of the Ruger having shot it on multiple occasions.

Wife loves her Glock 42 and I think it shoots better than most guns in the pocket 380 category. The Taurus Curve looks interesting for pocket carry application, but I have yet to shoot one myself.

(Lancaster County)

Why .380? those pistols you mentioned are both fine and disappear in your pocket -if that is what you are looking for. The Kel-Tec P3AT also is very similar - I have both the P3AT and the P32, both are very lightweight, and reliable, but the .380 is much less pleasant to shoot (cheaper though!). If you go to a larger gun, you can get much better ergonomics, with a larger caliber to boot, but then your carry options change and you can't hide it in a front or back pocket nearly as easily.

Cb

(Montgomery County)

The Sig P238 is a great gun and the wife and I each have one. That said, I pocket carry a Ruger LCP and the wife traded in a Berretta Pico for the Ruger LCP Custom. She just couldn't get comfortable with the Pico's looong trigger pull and reset. With the new Ruger she was hitting center mass at 7 yds right from the start. The only problem I have had with my LCP is, after about 1500 rounds, it started to jam but new recoil springs fixed it right up. Ruger's customer service is also a plus for choosing the LCP.

(Lycoming County)

When I was looking it came down between the Kahr and the TCP. Id have gotten a kahr IF it was readily available but no one had one and no one knew when they could get one lol.. so it was the TCP. Pretty much better trigger than the rest except the Kahr. Bodyguard was great in hand with a horrid trigger, Ruger was decent with a not so good trigger. I was not in the Sig 938 price point so I didnt even bother with that though ive heard its good if you want to spend that kind of $$ on a pocket pistol.

We had actually bought this for my wife. She made the final choice but as someone said..these are very snappy little pistols..and after shooting it she hated it. So it worked great hasnt(other than a grip sleeve induced malfunction episode) missed a beat reliability wise. it still sits by her bedside and the Ruger SR9c at mine and in close reach..She CAN shoot it and we put a few rounds through it on occasion..but she doesnt like it..so its more or less become my running to the store on Sunday Am when I dont want to put on a proper belt and holster pocket pistol...Now she wants a EAA Pavona as her gun..I think she will do a lot better with that and the extra weight to calm down the recoil some . ...

She loves the Hi Power by comparison..trying to get her to realize when something is a bit bigger and heavier its normally a lot nicer on recoil..somehow she always equated the bigger a gun is the more recoil it would have..she is learning .

(Westmoreland County)

Carry an LCP pretty much everywhere I go where I'm not banned for carry. Using a good pocket holster you won't even notice that it's there.

Recoil is "snappy" but no where near as painful as a P-64 or a 38 Snubbie. Shot to shot recovery is great using moderate powered rounds.

I've put several hundred rounds through it. No failures to feed or extract.

Only caution - be sure to really rack the slide back, hard. Snap it forward. This will insure that everything chambers properly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast