Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default S&W 1911 model E

Anyone have one of these in stainless? What are your reviews of it?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W 1911 model E

i owned one. it was a surprisingly nice shooter. i wasn't big on the external extractor, but, it was a nice shooter.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

I have one. Its a very nice gun. Lightweight, which some people like and others don't. Lots of features. As Jakebrake mentioned, I wish it had an internal extractor but I've never had a problem with reliability. Probably a little overpriced in my opinion but I'll never sell it.

I have the one with the Rail. Very nice gun IMO. Looking back, I would have bought the one without the rail cause it is about $200 cheaper. Runs good with all ammo and it just sexy as hell. Nice for BBQ carry.

(Bucks County)

I have one, nice gun. When I first bought the gun, it jammed on hollow-points but cycled fmj with no problem. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed the problem. No other issues.

(Bucks County)

Got my S&W 1911TA E-series (stainless) ~3.5 years ago. Fell in love with it and originally bought it as a "Vanity Gun". But it turned out to be the best shooter I had (vs. S&W M&P 9mm, CZ75B 9mm, Ruger LCP 380ACP, Ruger SR22 22LR) until I later got a Ruger MkIII Competition that may shoot a tad better depending on the 22LR ammo used. But I'm not sure that's really a fair comparison lol.

I keep fairly detailed shooting logs. The 1911 now has >7300 rounds through it. About 1.6k were factory rounds (230gr FMJRN), and the rest mostly 230gr FMJ or plated RN reloads. I replaced the springs at ~4500 rounds. Almost all of my shooting is on paper at 10yds so there's always clear evidence of my groups, and I have not noticed any change in accuracy from new to now.

I've had ONE failure to feed using factory ammo at about 1k rounds. Using reloads I've only recently had a few failures to feed using 200gr SWC (plated) that I subsequently determined were slightly shorter than my target OAL. So I consider the 1911 totally reliable with only an occasional failure to lock open on empty over the last 6k rounds. And that's most likely a magazine issue that I haven't bothered to track down.

If this 1911 were stolen, I'd probably buy another one since I personally have no need for a "custom" 1911. Otherwise I think I'll just replace the springs at 9k rounds and see how far the rest of the pistol decides to go lol.